I just received a synthetic wig I ordered...CODI by Amore...It's a nice style and the cap fits very comfortable, but it has one problem: it's SHINY.

I usually wear human hair wigs but wanted to give synthetics a try to get a break from flat irons and expensive hair care products not to mention I'd like to start getting to work on time...lol...

So I put CODI on and went to the grocery store, not the one I usually go to but another one where people don't know me, and I noticed people staring at me, at the parking lot and at the store; I'm thinking it was because of the shiny wig.

What do I do? Is there anything I can do to make it look less shiny? Do you see people staring at you when wearing synthetic hair? Can people tell it's a wig because of the shininess?

Thanks

Views: 17281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spent 2100 on a human hair custom piece loved it but it was so much work after awhile. I had it long and curly. I was med brown then bought a Noriko short wig that is Nutmeg f which is gradient colors and looks very natural and I get a lot of compliments on the color. I want it to be shiny like healthy hair. Anyone have any ideas on how to bring the original softness and shine back? I by 2 at a time and alternate.
I've owned several different synthetic wigs - some are shiny & some not. I have not worn the shiny wigs (2) because they don't fit right & I need to return them. I also didn't like the fact that they were so shiny. Some shine is good, but too much can make it look more fake.

The color of your wig sounds pretty. Maybe they were staring because they were envious! ;-)
i just recently switched from synthetics to human hair, but i can tell you from my last 3 years wearing synthetics, i always got complements on my new wigs - if you get good quality ones - they look healthy shiny not fake shiny. i bought Henry Margu naturally yours synthetics. i had to shop around though for a realistic looking synthetic. some of them LOOK cheap. so shop around and find one you like that looks natural on you. i also found that the synthetics that are treated to withstand higher temps and cost a bit more are more natural looking. i just got sick of replacing them every other month. so we will see how the human hair works out.

try putting a drop of conditioner (i use the wig type shea butter type lotion... forget the name, gotta go check in abit) and rub it in to dull the color a bit. but honestly live with it for the first few days - it turns perfect after that. :)
Thanks to all for your responses...Well, after wearing Codi for a couple days, I decided synthetic hair is just not for me, I don't think anyone could tell it was a wig, Codi is really a nice wig, but I just couldn't get used to the fiber. So I went back to human hair and I feel like myself again :-) Thank you all for your kind words and advice.
I used to wear the wig Sizzle by Raquel Welch and it never looked shiny. I always got compliments on it. As far as shininess goes I have heard from several people put a bit of Talcum powder on it . That supposedly works.....
I just ordered my first wig and its synthetic. Do you all think that 275 dollars is to much for a synthetic wig? I have been told that and now i regret my decision. Its a revlon. I am thinking about sendng it back when i get it.
Yes, that's a little too much for a synthetic. You can get Revlon stynthetic wigs for less than that. I don't use synthetic wigs but I like these two wig stores and their prices are reasonable: namebrandwigs.com and wilshirewigs.com.
A tip to make synthetic wigs less shiny is a light dusting of baby powder. sprinkle a little on and shake the excess off. it will dull the sheen of the wig but be careful if you add too much the wig will look dusty or dandruffy. A tip for reducing the frizz or adding sheen to a wig is a ligt spray of duh- oil sheen hair spray.
http://www.beautytrends.com/prodinfo.asp?number=5406
I like the price of Beauty trends. My wigs here last 6 to 18 months.
the real shine went away after the 2nd washing compared to a few others. I add there luster spray to them when i want it shiny.
If i do not want to much shine i just found if i put 1/4 tsp of talc powder on my hands and fluff it i well to go.
It is funny i hated the shine. But at stores I have others come up to me and ask what products I was using. Because it looked so healthy. and that they wish they could get the shine like that. I said Well I wear a wig. You can try the luster spray they have in this catolog i have in the car. Lol long story i found her at the store like 6 months later. She bought it. Lol. She says it says for wigs but it worked on my hair. See the shine. I did not. But I told a tiny lie and said oh yes it looks nice.
I use a gel called "Define" that was formulated for synthetics. It's available on the Paulayoung.com web site. It tones down the shine and gives the fiber a very natural "hair gelled" appearance.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service