I am wondering if there are any women out there that have universalis who know whether you lose the cilia in your fallopian tubes. I have no cilia in my nostrils, throat...
I am trying to conceive and have had infertility issues in the past and just realized that this could be a problem.

Views: 3062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It certainly sounds like this is plausible. I have a feeling it would be a difficult thing for your physician to discuss with you, as they won't know anything about it. I have two children, but didn't develop universalis until after my 2nd child was born. I had areata from the time I was 7 though. I assume they would want all sorts of information about your cycles too. It may not be anything other than timing and conditions. I wish you good luck with your endeavor. I wish I could be more helpful. I hope you get more informative replies.
It seems possible. I often wonder whether I have many / any hairs inside my ears. I think I maybe five nostril hairs, but they come and go.
I discovered a patch of hair missing in Spring 2006, by fall I officially had alopecia universalis.
I tried to find a 'cure' and even consulted with an 'alternative' provider who suggested that my birth control pills may be causing hormone imbalance, so I quit.
A couple of months later, I was pregnant.
For me, the alopecia did not complicate conception.
Interestingly: during both of my pregnancies, I grew hair. The dermatologist treatments did not cause ANY hair growth.
First pregnancy, I looked like Homer Simpson (fat belly, a little strip of hair around the middle of my head. It fell out weeks after delivery.
Second pregnancy, I grew more hair and had a full head (albeit very short) of hair by the time I gave birth. It, too, fell out weeks after delivery.
I still have universalis.
Any way ... it may not be alopecia that is hindering your conceiving?
I wish you luck with conceiving!!
I've had AU since I was 16 and managed to pump out three lovely little girls without a problem. It did take some time for me to become pregnant but I think that was mostly because I was irregular in my cycle. I didn't have cilia either. Alopecia does not cause fertility problems. Good luck with conceiving though and congrats in your decision on wanting be a parent! :)
Wow! I do have a child and it was harder to conceive but I believe that was due to irregular cycles. I dont think that Alopecia causes fertility issues but you never know with this crazy condition..
I'm 26 and have been trying for 3 years with no such luck. I have AU now, but I orignially have AA for 12 years prior to AU. My doctor has me on hormone medication because he says some of my hormones are little off. He never connected the two and says it's just coincidental. Hope this helps.
I'm so glad this came up. I never thought about any connection. I've been trying for three years with no luck. I'm relieved to read that people with alopecia have conceived.
I've been through infertility and fertility clinics a few years ago and I've had alopecia all my life and been AU for the last 6 years... never heard or read anything about a link between those two...
Good luck.
Diane
I don't know if we lose the cilia in our fallopian tubes or not. To tell you the truth, I didn't know there was cilia there in the first place. I've had AA/AT/AU for about 12 years. Luckily, I haven't experienced any fertility problems. I have two sons. My oldest is 4 years old and my youngest is 17 months. Good luck!
Hi. Please don't worry. I have had alopecia universalis for 26 years now - beginning when I was 24. I had three perfectly normal pregnancies (and three wonderful children with no signs of an autoimmune disorder of any kind - thank God!) The only trouble I had was in conceiving my 2nd child, which took a little more effort than with my first. After using a basal thermometer, my doctor and I determined that I was ovulating much later in my cycle than normal (I think it was day 21, rather than around day 14). And, by the way, I have always thought that I have been without nostril hair all these years - couldn't see any, but my ENT said he did see some when he scoped me prior to sinus surgery. Either way - alopecia should NOT affect your fallopian tubes or a pregnancy in any way. There can be an "up" side: my doctor jokingly thanked me for being prepped for delivery prior (no shaving necessary!) God bless and good luck.
Lindsey,
I was reading this discussion and found your comment noticing you were a little younger than me. I have a son who developed AAU in a matter of 4 months when he was 17 yrs. He is now 18 and in his 1st year of college. It's been so sad going thru this with him and us his parents not being able to fix it. He has come to terms with his condition and has had encouragement from his friends and of course all of his family. I definately think the support of his friends is key to a young man like him. We had never heard of AA before. Now I'm becoming an expert, mostly from this website with actual alopecians. As a matter of fact, I recently discovered I have AA. Now we know where heredity plays a role. Several patches grew back, now there is another larger one in the back. Still not visible unless I lift the outer layer. But I am wondering where this is going to go. I want to prepare myself. I will choose to wear wig if and when that time comes. Any advice you can provide? Thanks
Hey, Mary. So sorry to hear about your son - your e-mail made my cry. It's SO scary for me, thinking that one of my children may have to go through this, too. My son just turned 16, but I have two girls who are older. None of them has show signs of an autoimmune disease. I have been told that it can be genetic, but other experts have said that it is not. I don't know. Either way, I think it must be harder for boys/men since they usually don't try a wig and can't draw on the eyebrows and glue on the eyelashes, etc. I'm sorry to hear that you, too, are having to go through this. I hate to tell you that my AA started exactly as yours did - with small spots along the nape of my neck. After cortisone shots, those small spots did grow back, but it was only a matter of a few months before I had total body hair loss. Please hang in there. I'm glad to hear that you're preparing yourself for the possibility of a wig, etc. I have to tell you - I've had some people tell me that they've known me for YEARS and when I tell them about my condition they can't believe it - they never suspected. I have a new internist and he made me take me wig OFF to prove to him that I really didn't have hair. So, maybe that's encouraging - you CAN make yourself look pretty good! God bless. LH
I have PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), which is characterized by irregular or absent periods and abnormally high testosterone levels. I always wondered if because AA is an autoimmune disorder then would it stand to reason that my immune system would attack my ovaries and make me infertile too? I've been considering having a child for a couple of years now, and I think that when I visit my OB/GYN and endocrinologist in the fall I will start asking these questions. I am also hypothyroid too (immune system is killing my thyroid gland slowly but surely), so I am quite convinced that these conditions are all related somehow. Glad you mentioned this -- and I'll be sure to post what I've learned!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service