Hi all,
I'm considering getting a Freedom (vacuum/suction) wig. I hear they're great, but that they can be hot. We've been having a lot of hot/humid weather here in Oakville, and I'm already finding my regular wigs to be extremely hot, and my head sweats a lot. How are those of you with suction/vacumm wigs holding up?
Frankly, I can't remember what it felt like to have real hair during these hot summers, but I don't think it was this bad!
Thanks,
Ali

Views: 7889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I REALLY like mine. The quality of hair is fantastic, better than most human hair wigs I've worn in the past. The security is the best thing about a vacuum wig, I ride in my convertible with no worries. Now about the summer heat, YIKES, I live in a very humid hot area of the states, and that's where sacrifice comes in, I just don't stay out long periods of time in the summer months. :-( and I use to be more of an outdoorsy person, oh well, life goes on....
Hello, the vacuum wigs are great if you can handle the heat. There are other wigs that offer the same high quality human hair with a customized wig cap designed just for your needs. These wigs require no glue and is very light weight, breathable with endless style options. These wigs are also not as costly as the vacuum wigs and does not take as long to make. The bottom line? vacuum wigs are hot. I have added a few pictures of a glue free lace wig.
Attachments:
Im also considering getting the vacuum suction wig. I'm not wearing a full lace wig which i hate, the lace and the tape is very irritating and itchy, and when you're in alot of heat, the tape becomes loose, also when your head sweats, it smells awful and I can't just remove it and wash it or my head. I'll have to wait until i go to have it serviced at the salon where i purchased it and they charge $75 if you purchased it from them and $90 if you didn't. The hair system that I have on my other pics, was a partial, it only covered the crown of my head and it cost almost $1800 and I had to have it replaced every year. I wore this for 5 yrs and it was getting too expensive plus i had to be under a contract with this company. I also had to perm and color my existing hair everytime I went to have my serviced so they would match. This was just too much trouble and too expensive to keep up which is why I switched to he lace wig which hate now also. It only cost me about $500. Also by this being a regular salon, there was no privacy and i had to go in extra early to be there alone. The place where i got my system was more private because they specialized in hair restorations. I did like the fact that this system would stay on about 8 weeks before i had to have it serviced and the tape they used stuck like cement. Both the system and my lace wig shed alot which makes you loose so much hair. I heard that the vacuum wigs don't shed or tangle. So I'm looking foward to getting one, however I heard that they are very expensive and run anywhere from $3500-4500 an they take up to six weeks to receive. If you are completely bald i wouldn't recommend the lace front wigs at all, like I mentioned earlier, they are very irritating.
Hi Ali,

I am a hairstylist that works with human hair prosthesis. I have been doing this servise since 1965. I cut and style all knids of hairpieces from lace fronts to vacuum pieces. Now after saying all that, recently the Gripper had made it to the marketplace. The Gripper, from the women that I have cut and styled feel that they get the security from the silicone grip as well as being much cooler than the vacuum piece. As a hairdresser, the hair is wonderfull. I did do a perm on several Grippers for coulpe of ladies that had had natural curl. The perm can be done to look like the way their curl looked. If you would like to speak with me or email Carmen West at cwestgb@aol.com
Thanks Carmen for sharing, i will investigate the gripper
Thanks Cindy, the hair system that I wore for eight weeks, didn't bother me, that system was just too expensive and I had to keep my own hair permed and colored. It's this lace front that I'm having the problem with the smell from sweat and the tape and the tape coming unstuck.
ok, thanks I will keep that in mind. Wow there is just so much to think about, nothing is simple or inexpensive except going bald which im not ready for just yet.
Hi Again,

I was going through some of my things and found a product the one of my haircut cliens uses to help with the sweat under her lace front. The product is Headline it. Go to www.headlineitstore.com
This is a liner for wigs. Now my client didn't have to use any tape with her piece. Hope this helps.
Carmen West, cwestgb@aol.com
Great! thanks, I'll check it out
Hello All!

I am on my fifth vacuum piece, the three most recent being Freedom wigs. I have always loved my pieces! They are so natural and beautiful. You can have ANY hairstyle you want with them too. No one ever knows they are a wig unless you tell them.

That being said, they are not perfect. They do get very hot and sweaty in the summer. My newest piece has one of the "new" silicone liners and I haven't really noticed any difference in the amount of heat that builds up. I also have VERY oily skin and I have to wash my piece every 2 or 3 days as all of the hair that lines my face gets really oily looking.
I have also had a lot of problems with loss of hair from the pieces. I always end up with two or three bald spots after about a year of wear and the piece has to be sent back to New Zealand for a 3-month repair. They are also VERY expensive: $3,000-4,000 each. I have never gotten more than 2 years use out of a piece.

In other words, weigh the pros and cons carefully....
Hi Ali,
As a hair stylist I cut and style vacuum pieces and since the Gripper came on the market nothing was better than the vacuum piece. You are right they can be hot. That is why so many women are going with the Gripper. If you are bare, or if you do have some hair growth you don't have to shave it all off. The gripper has silicone at the temples and across the front and at the nape for security. The ones that I have cut and styled have beautiful, European hair. They are easy to style. The heat dissipates though the hairpiece similar to growth hair. With the heat this year the Gripper seams to me would be a smarter choice, you get the security of the vacuum and the coolness of the lace front wefted hairpiece. I understand that this piece has a life of 3yrs, with good care. and can be repaired. I just got a notified that there is an increase in price on the vacuum pieces.
Carmen West, Hairdresser, questions email me at cwestgb@aol.com
Hi all,

Well, some time has passed since I first posted my question. I now have 2 Freedom Wigs, but cannot bear to wear them on summer days in Central Ontario. I work outside and don't handle humidity well, so I must resort to a light synthetic wig for our hot, humid summers. I get heat-rash on my head if I try to wear my Freedom Wig in the heat. Not pleasant.

I'm glad I have Freedom Wigs for swimming/roller-coasters etc, but I do find trying to style human hair that's not mine quite trying and frustrating. I prefer synthetic wigs for the cute and easy-to-care-for styles, as long as they're lined. The wefted ones are too darn itchy!

I think, for me, a combination is the way to go.

Take care,
ali

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service