A case report regaridng one man's remission after eradicating Helicobacter pylori infection.

The title of the case report can be misleading since this a causal relationship between AA and H pylori and it is unknown if the man's AA was "cured" (I prefer went into remission) because of the series of antibiotics to remove any infections caused by the H. pylori. I always take these studies with a grain of salt, but I have to say, this is the first time that I've seen a case report where a protocol of eliminating the infection caused by the H. pylori on a patient who also has AA was used.

Cure of alopecia areata after eradication of Helicobacter pylori: A new association?

Alopecia areata is a disease of the hair follicles, with strong evidence supporting autoimmune etiology. Alopecia areata is frequently associated with immune-mediated diseases with skin manifestations such as psoriasis and lichen planus, or without skin manifestations such as autoimmune thyroiditis and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection is present in around 50% of the world’s population and has been associated with a variety of immune-mediated extra-digestive disorders including autoimmune thyroiditis, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, and psoriasis. A case of a 43-year old man with an 8-mo history of alopecia areata of the scalp and beard is presented. The patient was being treated by a dermatologist and had psychiatric support, without any improvement. He had a history of dyspepsia and the urea breath test confirmed H. pylori infection. The patient went into remission from alopecia areata after H. pylori eradication. If such an association is confirmed by epidemiological studies designed for this purpose, new therapeutic options could be available for these patients, especially in areas where infection with H. pylori is highly prevalent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3158418/

Views: 666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alopecia has been with me for over 40 years . In March 2013 I was treated for helicobacter pylori & yes my hair stared to grow back in patches, furthermore I also have autoimmune thyroiditis. "my gut feeling" tells me that the health of the gut flora is the cause of this autoimmune problem. The colonoscopy & endoscopy procedure that I had not only found the helibacter but also found I am lactose intolerant. I would be interested in participating in treatment/diet that would give the digestive tract a chance to work at its peak well being & watch with interest if it would improve this autoimmune condition. Cheers Maria, Sydney Australia.

Just bumping this up, I would also like to know. Did you have any symptoms in the gut? Was the test easy to get and was it expensive? Thanks.

I read this article too and I am looking into the Helicobacter Pylori bacteria at the moment, just had the test done.  I have had extreme stomach pains for years and never found out why.  In Australia the breath test for this is covered by medicare.  Is there anyone else that has had this test?  

I just found out that I have H Pylori in my gut while to trying to figure out why I'm anemic.  Found out that it has a link to psoriasis which I have and alopecia which my 13 year old daughter has.  So I will be having her tested to see if she has it too.  H Pylori has been linked to stomach cancer which my sister died of 30 years ago. So its not a nice thing to leave untreated.   I will be getting the triple antibiotic treatment to hopefully get rid of the little buggers.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service