My 9 year old daughter has had hair loss of her eyebrows and eyelashes. She does not have any hair loss on her head or anywhere else on her body. We have tried different creams from the pediatric dermatologist and nothing has helped. We are grateful she hasn't lost any head hair and my daughter does not seem to care about the the loss of her eyebrows or eyelashes...Yet! Has anyone else just had a loss of eyebrows and eyelashes only? They seem to start to grow back sparsely and then all of a sudden they are gone again. Very frustrating!

Views: 6278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone following this thread had any success or luck with treatment or finding other possible causes? My 12 year old has had issues for 5 years (eyelashes only). They come and go but nothing in last year. So just trying to see if others found out other underlying issues other than "it's alopecia...move along".

Hi. Was wondering if you have had any luck recently with improving AA of eylashes or if anyone who has posted in this thread has seen any changes or tried something successful. I believe now it is moving to eyebrow area in my daughter. No additional info from doctor.

Hi, my daughter is 8.5 and recently started w a similar presentation. Just curious how your daughter is doing and if any treatments worked. We’ve done steroid and tacrolimus topically. Lashes and brows grow and fall out as of the last 2 months. I noticed the lashes first. 

When I am stressed my eyelashes fall out on one eye about half way over. Dermalmd eyelash serum actually gives me back my eyelashes. It also is good for eyebrows because now that I am older they are not as thick near the ends, but this serum really works. I was amazed.

Thanks for the info. Missing a few lashes at stressful times is not Alopecia. If you truly had Alopecia you’d know that these over the counter serums don’t work. Latisse has an ingredient that is also found in others such as the Roden & Fields brand. Latisse has side effects. Also they don’t necessarily grow lashes when none are present and you have to continuously use it. These serums are more for people who want fuller longer stronger lashes and not those who just want some lashes.

How is your daughter doing? Mine is still cycling in/out of lashes that grow full length then fall out on top and bottom. I estimate she has maybe 1/3-1/2 “normal” any given time. Brows are ok for now. We aren’t doing any tax right now but tried steroid ointment and tacrolimus from June- mid August. This all began 1st week of june. 

She currently has no lashes top or bottom. It has been like this 18+ months. She started at 7 with patchy. Then she lost them all and they have come and gone over several years. She is 13 now. But it has been consistently missing without regrowth for some time now. She recently started on prednisone eyedrops for 2 months but nothing has changed and doctor just says that is what it is, isolated to lashes. She goes to high school next year and we will work in the meantime to learn a makeup/eyelash routine as she seems to want to try that. She handles it very well because she is used to it but I know she would like them to come back.

Were eyebrows ever affected? I remember a post where you thought they might be headed that way. Any scalp loss etc? I feel we are fortunate if this is isolated to the eye area. I wish you guys the best, so great to have someone to check in with in such a seemingly strange presentation of AA. 

She doesn’t have very thick eyebrows but she does have eyebrows. Those seem to be ok. Probably normal but I probably think they are thin bc she has no eyelashes to draw the attention. She has had no other areas. I agree. We are very fortunate that it is only there. She knows that. It is maddening, for sure, but it is not a big deal especially once she wears make up. And she really doesn’t have to wear makeup if she is good with that. 8th grade is a tough age. All of her friends have made a comment but nothing mean just asking why she doesn’t have any. I think she might feel better if she had them since girls are starting to wear a little mascara. She knows that if she starts with fake ones that kids will know at first. That is why we will wait till the summer. Might combine it with braces!! :-)

So glad to have found this site.  My 10 year old daughter has alopecia of just the eyelashes.  Started 1.5 yrs ago.  Pediatrician was convinced she was pulling them.  I went to a dermatologist who said it was alopecia of just the eyelashes.  She is currently experiencing another relapse and its very frustrating after a couple months of regrowth.  At 10 she is ok with with it but kids ask questions and it is quite noticeable.  Frustrating that pediatrician didn't want to even consider it.

You know your child more than they do. When it first happened to my daughter, they said that too. But after watching her and talking to teachers, it was impossible to be the case. Most Drs know very little about Alopecia in general much less specific to eyelashes.

I also watched her and talked to her teachers and when nobody saw evidence of pulling I took her to a dermatologist and he agreed that it seemed like alopecia of the eyelashes, but  he told me he couldn't prescribe anything because med would affect the pressure in her eyes.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service