I dealt with AA since 4th grade and it was pretty hard.  After the first few years, most of the time I was lucky and it wasn’t too noticeable, but then I got AT - no eyebrows, not many eyelashes and wear a wig.  

I don’t think of myself as a vain person, never wore much makeup or spent much time on my hair etc.  But since getting AT, I’ve barely gone swimming, scuba diving (which I love) much less felt open to dating.   I don’t want to go to a gym or take fitness classes where is sweat.

Maybe some of you have managed not to let it have such an impact?  I don’t feel comfortable going bare headed.  It’s hard and continues to have a big impact.  I’d appreciate your thoughts & advice. 

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I cannot NOT wear a hat or wig. My head and scalp get way too cold. It sweats under the wig, but that is better than being cold. One time I fell and my wig flew off my head!!! Was may face red!!!!

Sarah Reade, MD

Sarah, if you ever decide to try wigs again you may be surprised to discover that you can buy an open weft, lace front synthetic wig and cut out the back tabs and replace those with 1.5" of 1/2 inch, braided elastic. This is what I do (see my photo). My wig is snug and secure. I can dance, run, ski, even swim and flip my hair upside down and it stays put, very comfortably. I am comfortable in the summer, and I can pull a wool cap on in winter. I even drive a convertible with a Chanel scarf tied under my chin to keep my hair from blowing, but it otherwise is snug. No one can tell. Just thought I'd mention that because there are alternatives that a lot of people don't know about, and if you are willing to try it, it might make you happier. Ask me and I'll tell you how to do it. It takes me about 20 minutes with each new wig I buy.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2021   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service