Hi all,

This is my first post, please go easy.

I'm 31 years old, and I first noticed a bald patch in Jan 2014 and at first I ignored it thinking noting of it - until it got bigger! At first is was 4cm x 4cm, but it soon got to about 8cm x 10cm. Now, I still haven't seen a derm, but I have seen my GP and she diagnosed AA, I've now decided to go private and see a derm. My doctor initially prescribed a 1% steroid cream and I combined this with minoxidil, all whilst I awaited my bloods (came back normal). However, the patch continued to grow bigger (to 8x10). So I went back to my GP who prescribed dermovate, I used this for about 3 weeks and then stopped, my hair has started to grow back (although blonde), and this has made me happy! :-)

However, last week I spoke to a British Skin Foundation employee about my AA, and when he heard my age was shocked. With this, it made me concerned again, as we all know, Alo plays havoc with our mental health - it did mine, and I just make things worse in my head! Does age play a major factor in Alo or can you be any age? The BSF employee seemed to think it only happened when you were young, this is my first time with AA? Am I thinking too much into this and over reacting about nothing? With my AA, because I never seem to have any illnesses, I keep seeking some other reason for my patch... Again, do you guys think I'm being silly, and does it even matter about my age?

A

Views: 1683

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like others are saying, Alopecia can happen at any age.  I was 30 when mine first developed.

Hi AFlo83,

I had AA at 33 and my hair grew back after the topical treatment. I cannot remember what was prescribed.  I was diagnosed with FFA in my mid-50's. If it works the same way for you then you have nothing to worry about. I hope that you will not have this experience again.

I developed several patches around the time I was 26. It regrew and I've been stable since.

Like others are saying, age doesn't matter. What I have read, however, is that if the onset occurs as an adult and if it grows back without professing to over 50% scalp loss, there's a better chance you'll be a "one and done" case. No garaunteed because AA is tricky and mercurial, but it sounds like you're in good statistical spot.

Studies show that the most severe form happens mostly in children.

No. My daughter who is 8 lost starting losing her in April, she just recently had her dad shave what little hair she had left. My good friend who is 37 lost all of her hair in 3 weeks. She is now losing hair all over her body. So age doesn't matter.

My daughter had all sorts of tests and bloodwork done, and everything was normal. Same with my friend. We have been using a shampoo conditioner and foam called nioxin on my daughter's head every few days and we have seen light hair starting to grow in.

Hope all goes well

Guess not; I was 58 when I was diagnosed.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Wow!  Thank you for all your thoughts and praises, it has honestly overwhelmed me how quickly you kind people have responded to my 'paranoia'.  Again, thanks for taking time out of your day to write your comments to share with not only me but also with the wider audience.

An update from me.  I went to see a Consultant Dermo today (I paid to go private as the NHS waiting time was very long), she put me at ease with my thoughts, checked my patch for exclamation hairs (none), and highlighted that my re-growth was very very good.  She also imparted to me that about 1/3 of AA is usually from a hereditary condition and you can usually trace it through the family (thyroid etc), and 2/3 is usually of unknown cause (stress, environmental factors et al).  She also informed me that because I have lost about 8cm x 10cm of hair, and it is regrowing well, it is probably a 'one' off - but she did say she could be wrong. 

Guys, once again thank you.  You have made my AA issue a lot more bearable through sharing your thoughts, knowledge and kind words.  I'll also add some pics so you can see my patch (where it started quite small and grew, which I put down to anxiety).

Thanks,

Aaron

Attachments:

Wow, your spot is growing in very nicely! Bet you will have your regular hair back in no time! My biggest spot is about as big as yours but I've had it now since May and it's smooth as silk and slowly expanding. Lol! Thankfully my hair is long enough to cover it.

At age 64 I began losing my hair, and within 6 weeks I was bald-all over.  Had my eyebrows tattooed and eye liner also.  About a year or so later, my hair grew back.  I had been seeing a naturopathic doc for treatment of another problem.  And perhaps that helped.

Now at age 71 it has all fallen out again.  Even my eyelashes-which I really miss the most.  So had the eye brows touched up, and hauled out my favorite scarves. 

Age doesn't seem to be a factor in this situation.  I know one woman who was 2 when diagnosed, and another who was 5.  And some of us were older at diagnosis. 

It ain't easy at any age,

I was 16 when I had it for the first time. The first and second time got my hair back, but now, I don't think I will be that lucky (I'm 43 now) Age doesn't matter. Good luck :)

I don't think age makes much difference.  I started with AA symptoms when I was in elementary school.  Had a long time of only thin hair but no bald spots.  Then when I was 37 or so it came back and within 5 years it was AU and has been ever since.  It does play havoc with mental health - after 17 years I still can not comfortable wear a scarf to work out for fear someone will think I am sick.

To chris,

Why worry what others think. My daughter got AA at age 7. 3 weeks ago she decided to shave what little hair she had and totally embraces going out bald. If someone asks she tells them its alopecia and she thinks its awesome.
People i feel react how we react. Im sure as an adult its more difficult than for a child. I know a mother, it waa very hard when it first started and i made her where a wrap but she got tired of it and when my husband shaved her head and she said she felt finally free and didnt have to hide, i felt luberated for her.

I hope all goes well for you.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service