Hi all,

I have a weird question - my hair seems to be growing back, and it's gotten to the point now that I'm wondering whether I should actually try and grow it out...

I wear a freedom wig, and I'm totally adapted to wearing it now, works fine for me, so I'm happy to keep wearing it, but I started growing patches that I had to shave. I slowly realized they were growing more and more, to the point now where I seem to have only 2 dime size patches that DON'T have hair. It's dark (which is weird, because I was blond!) and my eyebrows etc have grown back, though those are still blonde.

I got AU in 2015, at 37 (no signs before) and all my hair head and body fell out in about 2 months. No changes, diet lifestyle or otherwise since then. I just cried a bit, got a wig, and keep mountain biking, climbing and drinking beer...

I guess my question is, is there any point going through the awkward transition / growing hair out phase, to see if it will grow, or is this just a phase, and it will fall out again? Don't really mind either way, just curious if it's worth it?? Has anyone had experiences with this?

Views: 2608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting! My regrowth pattern seems very similar to yours, I've literally got a similar series of photos. And I've heard the 2 year mark is often when that happens, which is when I started seeing patches again. Thanks for your reply. Hope I can get to where you are, my boyfriend is stoked on me having short hair. haha.If not, I'm just going to have to cut my freedom wig short.

Lemurgirl, I'm 51 now and finding the very short hair fun. Growing it out is hard. I can't see going to all that trouble without any guarantees that my AA/AU won't return. I'm going to rock the short pixie for a while and see what happens! Best of luck!

Hi Steff,

Your success story is inspiring.  Thanks so much for posting your journey & pics.  As suffers of AA we not only look to this site for possible treatments but also to receive some hope.  How long was it for you to transition from the 3rd to the 4th pic?  I have been seeing some regrowth as well but currently a bit less than your 3rd pic.  I truly hope that your regrowth is permanent!  I also am reluctant to put too much faith in it but here's hoping for the best. 

Carla

Carla, The first photo was July 2017. The second photo around Christmas. 3rd photo I'm guessing was around May 2018 and the last one was September 2018. I still have one spot larger than a loonie near one temple which I can hide. The one large spot I had at my crown is virtually gone now. I still wear a wig to work every day but if I still have regrowth by end of year with no new spots I might introduce my new pixie cut! I'm 51 now and I'm thinking I'm rocking he short hair! Best of luck!

I hope you succeed in growing it out.   

I too lost my hair at age 39. ( I'm 55 now ) Other than a hysterectomy the year before nothing different in my life. Like you totally AU with in 3-4 months of losing first patch. Bandanas and a Freedom wig, and I lived my life as usual ( yes a few tears that my long blonde hair was gone) but oh well.... low maintenance LOL. after 7 years, I started Methotrexate for Rheumatoid Arthritis and within 6 months had all my hair back. I still get spots, and have massive shedding at times, especially if I miss my weekly injection of Methotrexate. My eyebrows come and go ( thank goodness for microblading ) and my eyelashes come and go. ( sometimes I can even wear mascara - once a year lol) I still have no "bikini line" to worry about and only have a few hairs come on my legs and underarms, but the hair on my head has pretty much stuck around. I do get Kenalog injections into the bald spots when I get them ( got 70 injections last weekend OUCH) Luckily my best friend is a Physician Assistant so she gives them to me. Lots of ice cubes are used. ha ha.... So I lost my hair for 7 years and have had it back now for around 7 years. Its a crazy disease and I don't think there are any more answers now that there were 14 years ago. I posted my regrowth once on here and got poo pawed.... told methotrexate makes hair fall out not grow in. Really... call me a liar then, or just check out my pictures. As I said...this is a crazy ride called Alopecia which is different for everyone. I also have had Acrylic top coat on my nails for 14 years which keeps me from having my fingernails so thin and sore. Good luck to you and if you want to talk more, l am here. I haven't posted on here much because once my hair grew back I felt like and AU traitor. I also have my $5000 wig on my dresser (just in case lol)....... Kim

I hate to be, a as they used to say, a downer. But I am a realist. I lost all my hair, over my whole body for the last time back in 1971. I have had alopecia universalis ever since. I wore, I hid under a wig for 35+ years until I finally too it off back in 2004. In all my years of having this cond. and reading all the posts etc. I can tell you at least two things, there is no cure for alopecia, and the only thing that is predictable about this cond. is its comp unpredictability. Good luck to you. Let it grow let it grow. But while you don't want to worry every sec about it falling out again, don't take it for granted, bec there is way more than a 50 50 chance that it will. Mark S Hansen

Mark..

Thank you for your post, and no - anyone who speaks the truth or shares their experience, is never a "downer" in my book.

What i've learned about "discussion" forums, or with people in general, the most "real" person, sometimes makes people who are superficial very uncomfortable.

The folks on here, share real experiences, and they don't sugar coat it either - which is what i like about this forum.

What you've stated is 100% true.  Unpredictability is the main crux of this disease.

I have to remember to keep that in mind, after two years of hair finally staying on my head, and realize that i still have an autoimmune disease.

Thanks!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply! Ya, I have no doubt that it will fall out again, and I'm not too worried about that, just wondering what people have found for cycles, how long they last, and it sounds like (as everything with alopecia) it seems pretty variable. :) I have 2 weeks of growth (with no spots) so we'll see how long it lasts.

I am getting some good results using homeopathy:

http://shareownxp.in/alopecia-areata-treatment/

Hi All,

I was suffering from Alopecia Areata from 3 years, now regrowth has started and I am getting my hairs back.

I was frustrated, tried every treatment in the past. Had more than 15 patches on all body, 1 big patch on my beard which covers almost half of the beard, 2 patches on chest, more than 10 patches on head. Now all patches are almost filled. Although I can still some hair fall on the floor. 

I have written a blog with my experience with my images. I hope this will help others as well.

http://shareownxp.in/healthcare/ 

I would be happy to help in case of any questions.

Hey, Great work!!! What did you change for your results? Was it mainly diet,supplements or what? Thanks for any info! I have had a great success in the past month from the changes I have made and am waiting for my post to be approved. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service