I am strongly considering quitting my job because I'm finding it very difficult making the transition from having hair to not having any. I work in NY City, and unfortunately with a bunch of catty women. I have diffuse alopecia areata, and up until now, have been able to get away with my alopecia. I've tried wigs...not for me, and I have not quite figured out what avenue to take...shaving, scarf, hat etc. Well, anyway I don't want to be the talk of the office, or have to explain myself over and over. I think I would just break down and cry. I just want to come to terms with my alopecia on my own time. Just wondering if anyone has quit their job because of their alopecia?

Views: 5102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't quit over hair. I too live and work in NYC. I have AU as of Jan.2013. I 've been dealing with this for over 3 years. Everyone saw me lose my hair step by step. I wore hats everyday for 2 years, tried wig s of all kinds, still wore hats. I now have  a Follea which I totally love and finally i don't wear my hats any more. Don't quit until you have a follea,  then if you still feel like quitting do it while looking good!

Lucky is right!!!  Lucky to have a Follea.  And the $$$ to buy one in the first place.  And to live in NYC where there are soooo many options.

I have a similar problem working with catty women.  If someone gives me a comment, other coworkers roll their eyes and say bluntly "it's a wig" even though I never had that conversation with any of them to make that summary.

If the hair looks good enough for someone to give me a compliment, then what is their problem?

I had an experience just a few days ago. . . .Is there any support in the workplace without "outing" yourself with Human Resources.  Do people who are partially blind, or use crutches, or have some other handicap have to give constant explanations!?

i definitely know how you feel.  I realize your post is almost a year old.  I hope you have found some reasonable solution.  We all need our jobs.  We should not have to be treated poorly for something that is beyond our control.   Wishing you the best.

I've had people to look at me funny (even those just meeting me for the first time).  I have people laugh at me at meetings or smirk.  I even have people treat me like I am a lowlife because I wear a wig.  I usually dress very professionally and carry my self professionally, so don't understand. . . I wonder if it is racism or my hair/wig. . . The whole this is just sooooo frustrating.  Again, we all need our jobs. 

Please try to make the best of the situation.  I'm glad to have this website when I've had a bad day/week.  All the best to you.

Hi Heather, I work in Healthcare and meet so many people out marketing! I have had AU for 26 years and I wear wigs to work. I get very nervous when I change from one wig to another because people usually comment! They tell me I look great! I know that's positive but just the fact that they point it out makes me feel self conscious! I don't usually share with everyone that it's not my real hair! I also hate to call my hair a "wig" sounds ugly to me! Just my own feelings! I am with some of the others on quitting your job! Do it because you want a fresh start not out of fear! You will find your way! We all will! I still struggle after 26 years and I thought I would get past the hurt someday!

I used to have a full-time office job but due to my alopecia progressing, I decided to quit it for the sake of my mental health. I found https://writingcreek.com/grant-writing/ where I could get a freelance grant writing job very quickly. I know that people can successfully maintain their social and work life while still having alopecia but for me personally, it was very hard. Also, I agree with you about wigs. For me, they were very inconvenient even though many people love them. I just could not wear them to work.

My friend was quit his job, because he start the treatment procedures.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service