I originally posted this in a conversation about eczema and AA but I wanted to open the discussion to the larger group.
I have what feels like seasonal allergies and I also have eczema (and AA for 30+ years). I went to a GI to test for Celiac disease, which was negative, but that doctor found very high levels of histamine in my labs. So I also went to an allergist to have the "prick" test which was also negative. My body is clearly having an immune response to something! I sneeze, itch and of course, shed my hair like crazy!
Since I am nearing menopause (I'm 44 so it'll be coming soon), I started thinking about my history with alopecia and how it has ebbed and flowed over the years. I found my first bald spot during the same year that I started my menstrual cycle. The alopecia continued throughout high-school but nearly disappeared during the college years and through my 30s....which is the time that I was on birth control. I stopped taking birth control when I hit 38 when my husband and I wanted a baby. We were quickly pregnant and now have a 4 year old boy. My alopecia came back about a year and a half ago. I have not been on b/c since my son was born. I am thinking there is a connection. Studies have shown that people can have allergies to some hormones and allergies can be a trigger for AA??
I have asked my OBGYN to check my hormone levels and to put be back on b/c (waiting on results now). I have opted not to get injections so I can test my little theory. Thoughts?

Views: 254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I absolutely think there is a correlation between AA and hormones. There seem to be a high number of women who experience AA activity during hormonal changes such as puberty, child birth and menopause. I met one women who was given hormones in preparation for uterine surgery and experienced AA for the first time. She was in her med 40's.

Personally, I experienced AA (which rapidly progressed to AU)for the 1st time in my life, about 1 1/2 years ago when I also started experiencing menopausal symptoms.

Having said that, I do think there is more to the equation. I don't think this is true of all folks with AA. Also I wonder if there is something environmental that is messing with our hormones that is the true culprit.

Alopecia is truly a mystery and I hope, during my lifetime, that the medical community will be able to uncover some answers!

I had asked my endocronologist about this, and she said there is no relation, however I still believe differently.

I first lost all my hair on my head and body (except eyelashes and eyebrows) when I went through puberty - Then I lost my eyelashes and eyebrows after giving birth to my daughter...they seem pretty hormone related to me.

I also experienced AA (which progressed to AU) five years ago, when I started experiencing menopausal symptoms. Some women experience regrowth with pregnancy. So, I think that may be a correlation between AA and hormones. But, on the other hand, I also have seasonal allergies and eczema. Who knows?

Me I have my theory. Do you believe in UFOs? Well it is they cause our hair loss. It has a race who can not take us reproduire.Ils us women to recover our ovules.La radiation vessels, causes that have lost our hair and fur. That and I'm Strongly believes!

for skin diseases and allergies is the same thing. The air in the vessels is very different from our air .. and for skin diseases it is also known that it is they who give us.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service