I learned more from this site than I did from a "qualified physician"

It's so interesting that since I've been on this forum, I've learned so much more about alopecia areata, universalis, totalis, etc. from the information and observations from the members on this site. I learned about the disease and, over time, how to deal with it through this forum.

I think back on my friends, as well as myself, who had sought answers from physicians because, well, they were physicians. They're supposed to be smarter than us, right?

Nope. I was given salicylic acid, antibiotics, cortisone creams, a couple of sessions of painful (useless) injections, etc.

My cohorts went to 4 to 5 different "derms" each of whom did biopsies, and not one of them could agree on the course of action for the same problems. Most of the time, the biopsies kept coming back with different results: Mostly negative.

Then the thyroid tests, liver panels, more tests...each coming back with different results. 

One of them finally "caved" because her MD "strongly recommended" a hair transplant procedure.  

And it failed.

I learned in the medical field that most of the time you're referred to surgeons because doctors and surgeons are "good friends' as long as they wash each others hands. 

Believe it or not, folks, I learned more just reading, researching, and experimenting on my own and on this forum. Learning what to do and what NOT to do regarding hair growth, but, most importantly, I learned to stop running hither and thither to different physicians for answers.

Just because they have an MD doesn't mean they are smarter than you. I think in many cases it's because they're more "privileged" than you.

And that's it.

Views: 3076

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Suzy, I have responded to several women on this website about DHT, which is one of the most problematic causes of hair loss, hair thinning and alopecia.  Without going into a huge writing, read the SCIENCE OF MONAT which addresses DHT and hair loss.

http://barbaralinzey.mymonat.com/science/index.html

Also, Monat has before and after photos that are not just submitted randomly to the website. They have to be approved by corporate from a Market Partner who has a customer that had these results.   See:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=monat+before+and+after+pictures&f...

If I can help you or anyone you know, let me know.  I lost almost half of my hair from coming off of Minoxidil after 6 years of use.  My hair was gorgeous and thick but I stopped using it because it has dangerous chemicals in it.  I began using Monat products and after 8 months my hair has regrown and I have had good results.  I still have a way to go but my scalp, follicles must be healthier because my hair loss (in brushes) is very light...just a few hairs a day. 

I became a believer and a Market Partner after my results.  I am helping others that have bad hair from chemo and hair thinning. 

Barbara

Hi my name is Mark Hansen and I live on th east side of Milwaukee. I have had Alopecia Univeralis for about 45 years. My hair started falling out in the forth grade and by the middle of 7th grade it started to fall out and not come back. Needless to say my junior high school years where hell. My parents bought me my first wig in 1971 and I wore one, or Hid under one for 45 years. It did nothing for my social life whatsoever. I am gong to be 61 in February, yuck, and I am just as alone as I was 45+ years ago. Nevertheless, about 10 years ago finally took it off for good. In any case, the only thing that I have learned over all this time is that there is still NO long term permanent cure no painful injections, which I never submitted my self to anyways, no creams, no herbs, only snake oil. And secondly, the only predictable thing about this condition, unless you have it to my extent where it will never come back, is its total unpredictability. The biggest problem of all though is public ignorance. And while I am greatful to God that our condition is not so serious that we have to have telethons each year. At the same time, it is just one of those conditions, like 1000's of other different unknown illness's, that just gets past over for research, funding etc. So, it looks like it is with us to stay, we live with it, hate it, tolerate it, or not.  Later, Mark S Hansen  

Mark,

It's a horrible thing to live with, alopecia.  Doctors just do not get it, but scientists have researched the DHT and it's the main cause of hair loss, balding, hair thinning and alopecia.

Read:

It just makes sense.  So many people give up and why?  Because they have been to doctors and have receive no help.  Research DHT and hair loss and you will understand it's not rocket science.  I had a bout of hair loss so I know the feeling.  It wasn't alopecia but it was a nightmare for me for months. 

These are the ingredients that Jamie Ross, well known Scientist for Monat Global uses in every Monat product.  Read what they do!  Now, this makes sense.  Let me know if you need further information.  My life is helping others and seeing lives change.

Barbara

READ about these ingredients that are in Monat products.  Amazing.

PROCATALINE™

Features Pea Extract, a rich source of secondary metabolites, which deliver healthy nutrients to promote hair growth, reduces the production of the (DHT) hormone that contributes to hair loss, plus powerful antioxidants to combat premature thinning, as well as protect color and shine.

Benefits:

-Maintains a healthy environment for hair growth.
-Preserves the hair follicle.
-Aids in prevention of hair loss.
-Helps protect against environmental damage.
-Protects the natural pigment in the follicle.

CRODASORB™

A powerful formula that packs an intense defense against oxidative stress, protects from the sun’s damaging rays and resultant UVB damage, Cordasorb™ also preserves hair’s natural pigmentation and keeps strands stronger and locks in moisture.

Benefits:

-Protects natural and synthetic coloring as well as gray hair.
-Absorbs high amounts of UVB and UVA light.
-Penetrates the hair, allowing it to protect both the cuticle and the cortex.
-Helps to smooth the cuticle for less damage and breakage.

I am relatively new to this. I am concerned that in my early 60's, if you get regular cortisone injections, does this interfere  with cortisone needed for joint inflammation. I  live in a smaller area and I am only the 3rd Alopecia patient my dr. has had. I am going to a support group in the Los Angeles area, 1 1/2 hrs from home,  and hopefully will learn new things.

Hi

My son lost all his aged 10. He is about to turn 15 and has some regrowth which seems to be spreading. We have been giving him Turmeric pills for some time now and he loves his tea. Both are anti-inflammatory. Can't be certain if there's a connection to the re-growth or whether it's hormonal or something else. He had allergies and eczema as a youngster which we overcame with pro-biotics and omega 3 supplements. I firmly believe there's a link between gut health and auto-immune dysfunctions. Alopecia is just one manifestation indicating an imbalance of good and bad bacteria in our systems.

Is your son taking the omegas and probiotics now?

Hi Molly. He was up until recently.  I ran out and need to get some more.

I order my sons from melaleuca. Supposedly a better strain of probiotics and a loaded EPA fish oil. I hope it helps them! We have tried it all :(

Sara,

DHT is a main source of hair loss, hair thinning and balding.  Do some research on it and then read THE SCIENCE of MONAT.  The MONAT hair products address the DHT and are all naturally  based.  I'm a believer because I lost half of my hair after coming off of Minoxidil.  I used it for 6 years. I got off of it because of the chemicals I was putting in my hair, scalp, brain.  That's when I lost half of my hair.

Monat has helped me regrow my hair after 8 months.  Everyone on this website says "if there is a magic potent".   Maybe this isn't magic and it takes months (90 days for significant results) but it's real and if people only knew about it ....... 

SCIENCE OF MONAT:

Monat before and after pictures (only submitted by Market Partners).

Barbara

Hi Femmemuscle~
Isn't that the truth! I'm thinking about going to UPenn to pursue possibly going on Xeljanx from what I've leaned from this site. I am so grateful for all I've learned from everyone here.

I am losing all of my hair after 18 years with alopecia areata. Injections generally worked for me and then I went on Depo Provera, I think that triggered something to go haywire and now all body hair is almost gone!

Keep on sharing everyone, you never know who will benefit from your story and experience. Thanks, Barb

Jiggybear,

I hope I am not stepping out of line but going on drugs for hair loss doesn't really address the issue.  The DHT in the hair follicle kills the hair bulb and hair falls out.  It's pretty simple. 

I've responded to several ladies in this group.  Please see the Science of Monat and you will learn how we loose our hair.  Chemicals are not the way to go.  Naturally based products will feed and kill the DHT in the hair bulb, making the hair follicle stronger.  That nurtures new hair growth.  When the new growth happens, the bulb is stronger and the hair follicle is more stable in the new bulb because the DHT is gone.

Read:

If I may help you or you want to talk, let me know.  I hate that people are paying high prices for chemicals, doctors that don't help and they are buying wigs that they hate.  With time, your hair will grow back using Monat. 

Sincerely,

Barbara

I believe you are right.  MD's have the wall plaque with the years of learning.  I remember when I had horrible facial problems and my derm referred me to the TOP dermatologist in a really big town.  My second visit with him, he brought in TWO 'observing interns".  I ASKED all 3 of them if they knew what keifer or whey was.  All 3 just looked at me like I was a martian.  No one knew of Keifer or Whey.

I walked out and told them I am healing myself.  How ignorant. 

After I lost more than half of my hair, a friend introduced me to Monat.   I obviously had hair regrowth and after 8 months, I still have new hairs coming in.  I am happy with what these products have done for me and they are naturally based.  In other words, I'm not putting chemicals back into my scalp and blood system. 

If I can help you, or you need more information, let me know.

Barbara

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service