hi, my names tiaira im 16 and im a 10th grader in high school. i've recently found out that i have alopecia a few days ago and i don't even know where to go from here? everyone tells me it will be okay but i don't see it that way no one really understands? at school people look at me very different and treat me as if im dying or something, i've never had to face anything like this in my life. Any advice would be great!

Views: 4204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alopecia Genes: See my blog on this or look up Research and Publications sections in Discussions.

(August 3, 2011)

I can understand the fear you feel. Just don't look at yourself differently. Remember your inner beauty. There are way for you get your look back. Just don't stop believing in yourself.

I understand completely love - I lost my hair at 4 and never got it back. I am sure it's hard for you being a teenager and losing your hair but you have to take a deep breath and truly believe you are going to be okay. I am not sure what your religious beliefs may be but thank God or what ever higher power that you do not have a life threatening disease because hair or no hair life is still a beautiful and precious gift. I've always seen the whispers and stares but honestly the only way to not be bothered by that is to educate them. They don't know what you are experiencing unless you enlighten them and even if you don't feel comfortable with explaining alopecia, show them your strength with a smile and by keeping your head up through this. You will be fine, try wigs, hats, scarves you have options! just don't lose sight of who you are and realize everything happens for a reason so yeah it sucks for us to lose our hair but it's worse to lose ourselves through the process...love yourself babygirl because no one else is capable of loving or understanding yourself as much as you :-) xoxo good luck

Sorry Bout Da Late Reply Ive Been Pretty Busy Lately...But I Agree With Everything U Hav Said And I think That Im In A Much More Better Place Where Im Compfy Withh Whats Happening!:)

<3 Thanks 4 Da Advice Hun!

I've had alopecia my whole life but it was in high school that it got really bad. My first instinct was to hide it - I didn't tell any of my friends, I covered up with different hair styles, always wore a hat (especially when it was wet or windy) and eventually wore wigs. It made me miserable. If I could go back, I would confide in my friends, explain to strangers, deal with every stare/comment as it happens. It's easy to become bitter and think 'why me?' People are naturally curious and will want to know why you're changing - tell them, be open, it will really help you to accept what's going on when you see others around you accepting it too.

I've Finally Came Out And Told Close Friends And Family And Their All Pretty Nice BoUT Da Whole Thang So Dat Makes Me :)

Hi

Hairloss of any type is so very frightening. The ability to present yourself as you normally would is a big thing to loose! I think everyone here will understand your worries and fear.

The biggest thing I feel you need to do is talk to your parents or those that love you. That way you will begin to be able to sort out how you are feeling and what are some of the choices that may help you pass this feeling of being stuck. Learning about your condition and what may or may not happen can be helpful as well. This site has some good resources as does the NAAF site (National Alopecia Areata Foundation).

The one thing I feel very sure of is that you will find your way with this condition. You will work out what is going to help and what isn't.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to pop into my page and have a wee chat. My daughter lost her hair at 12 (she is now 21).

Catch you again soon.

Rosy

Hi Tiaira! My name is Heather and I'm in grade 12. I lost my hair in grade 5, so a bit different, but I hope I can maybe help you out a bit. I'm not sure how much of your hair has fallen out, but depending on how much is left I would definitely look into getting a wig. For the first few years I just wore bandanas and hats and whatnot, but eventually I just shaved the rest of the hair that was left and got a wig. I'd suggest human hair, because I absolutely LOVE my hair, but everyone has their own preference. Another thing is when dealing with high school, I've found most people to be respectful, but a lot of people don't know how to act. I'm super open about it and just tell people when they ask, and it makes everyone more comfortable which is really nice. Talking about it with your friends can be a really great way to not only make you feel more comfortable, but also make your friends understand better. Let me know if I can help!

Where do you buy your wigs?

what helps me is an song my best friend wrote me by sandra speak person for alopica go on her web site.its called beautful .my excispecla of alopica.order her cd.

play the song by sandra. called beuaterful.everybody needs to hear the song please go on her website.

Hey, are you from elmwood park Il, if so that is where i am from. Hit me up, i'd love to help you in any way i can.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service