hi, my names tiaira im 16 and im a 10th grader in high school. i've recently found out that i have alopecia a few days ago and i don't even know where to go from here? everyone tells me it will be okay but i don't see it that way no one really understands? at school people look at me very different and treat me as if im dying or something, i've never had to face anything like this in my life. Any advice would be great!

Views: 4204

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Thats amazing. I live in chicago! Where would o go about this whole thing?

Hi!
I was in your exact position. I was 16 when I lost my hair and I was devastated at first. It is a lot to take in. But I can say You WILL be fine and you will be stronger for it. When I lost my hair my family and close friends really helped, explain to them what it is and that you are still you and that you need some support. Do you have a wig or are you getting one?
It can be fun, go and check some out, get used to wearing them over summer! The more comfortable with it all you are the more comfortable people will be around you. I used to tell people pretty soon (in situations where I knew it would come up anyway) and I'd say "I have no hair, this is why and it is totally ok" and then they'd just think, ok it is no big deal. Does that make sense?
Also practice drawing on your eyebrows if you still have them now, you will get the hand of it.
I am not sure which type of Alopecia you have but if you end up losing all your hair there are some perks: like not having to shave and having the smoothest legs ever! Like being able to have your hair already done for things, or changing the style and color whenever you feel like it.
Have fun with the wigs now, it is your life and your hair and just do not care what others think. Do what makes YOU happy. And it will show.
Please PM me if you ever have questions or need to vent.
You will be ok, you will realize you are much stronger than you think and you are beautiful.

Wow!.....Thanks so much for the words. I have areata and yes i am doing wigs. my hair is growing back and actually just rockking that at the moment (even though im not sure how long it will last)......i love the wigs though because im able to stll be me and change it up alot, i actually get lots of compliments. with the help of friends and family im getting through this process that much more better.

i will for sure keep up with you yur such a darling.

Much Luv,
Mz.T

Dear Tiaira,
I am so sorry. My son is 16 and just got diagnosed with AA about six weeks ago, completely out of the blue. It is hard but not the end of the world. I am not sure boys have the option of wigs but we will see. Good luck and we are thinking of you.

THANKS ALOT.
AND HE WILL GET THROUGH THIS ROUGH TIME BECAUSE WITH THE ENCOURAGEMENT OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY I AM GETTING THROUGHT THIS.

MUCH LUV,
MZ.T

P.S HE'S IN MY PRAYERS

Hello Ms. Tiara.
I have had alopecia universalis almost all my life. I am 49 and got diagnosed at 13 just before junior high school. I was devastated. I got thru it though with the help of my fam, especially my sister. Graduated with a scarf on cause wigs weren't inback then. But I graduated that was thepoint . Now wigs are in.

I feel like I'm the" stuff" . I'm over the ridicule of people's nasty comments.. Can't nobody tell me I ain't gorgeous. I wear wigs and make my own full quickweave wigs.. I can be blonde one day and brunette the next. Lol. Gotta find humor in it... my favorite is cherry blonde though. I've dated with hair and without. Men, a true man, wants someone who is confident in who they are. I've been married twice. Both hobbies have past away. I'm a widow.. Lut dating though..

Let me say this.. u got it during a time when everybody is wearing fake hair... movie stars and the like.
Girl go get u one and strut your stuff. Beauty is from within. U gotta know u r beautiful. Don't worry what people say. U r beautiful.

Thank you so much hun. This really means alot to me. I have started wearing weaves and wigs and my hair is growing back somewhat. Im not sure how long it will last but i will rock it while its here.

Much Luv,
MZ.T

Wow thats amazing where is it located? And thats amazing. How would i go about this?

is anyone on this link in the DC area? thanks

No. I'm n Ohio, unfortunately. However, I pass thru dc visiting my twin daughters in va, both of whom have alopecia. But u can't tell. Ill send u their facebook page they're so beautiful. They're 27 yrs old they used to model I'll check with them first

hi could u pl explain clearly i may be able to help u out , is it just a few patches or do u have AT OR AU,

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service