Ok, so I feel a bit rotten saying this, but I'm tired of people telling me "So and so had alopecia and their hair all grew back and never came back again." I know people mean well, but we all know that it doesn't always work out that way. 

I've been dealing with this and trying to accept it for the last 2 months. I also had eczema all my life and know that it is a condition that goes in and out of remission. I fully expect the same with the alopecia and I'm fairly sure I will be really shocked and devastated each time it happens. Even if it does grow back, I bet I will never stop checking for spots. 

The other thing is wig shopping. Am I really selfish for not wanting anyone to come with me? I just feel like I will be pressured to be ok with it when in fact I know that it will be emotional. I don't want people to tell me not to have feelings about this stupid condition. 

I haven't actually said anything to anyone, and I know they are just trying to be supportive. Most days I am ok, but sometimes I just feel angry.

I think my reaction has more to do with being angry about this stupid condition. 

Views: 3075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get the eyeliner my friend!! The lady I go to uses a numbing cream and it's not that bad!! Really! I live in Green Bay Wisconsin. I researched Tattoo Cosmetics and found the best lady right here in Wisconsin. She's near Milwaukee. Her name is Lynn Duncan. Check out her website please! I now you'd be impressed!

Lynnduncanpermanentcosmetics.com

Thank you for the perspective. I actually do want to get the eyeliner done and get over having to do the pencil thing all the time. For the brows, I was living in Toronto at the time and went to a very good clinic on Bloor Street West where they use vegetable pigment. I also went there for the touchups. I'll check out Lynn's website. Best Regards. 

I had both my brows and eyeliner done before the AU hit. That said, it has been 3 years and it is time to get a touch up. But, it is nice having them done as I did not have to worry about it each morning. Now that I have AU it helps as at least there is something around the eyes. Go for it, just make sure you find a well trained person.

I've been toying with the idea of eyeliner tattoos too. My problem is I have one full eyebrow and half of another, so I really want to see if I can get the hair to grow (or use Latisse) instead. But eyeliner, well, that you could use regardless of whether you had eyelashes or not!

-Ann

I had my eyebrows semi-permanent make-up 2 years ago and it was the best money I ever spent. Wish I had the courage to do under eye liner. I didn't like having to draw on the eyebrow every morning; in contrast, I had a pal who was brilliant at it. Good luck.

Hi Rose,

I have been dealing with AA for about 20 years now (from when my first "spot" appeared when I was 25!.)  I've been wearing wigs for about 10+ years.  I'm very much a DO IT YOURSELF kinda girl and enjoy (any kind of) shopping alone. However, the first time I went wig shopping I had my cousin (like a sister) come with me, for support (because I was nervous and uneasy and all the feelings that come with having to show people/strangers your balding head.)  It was nice to have someone there (who I trust) she didn't come with me because we thought it would be "FUN".   

Plus, I think if you have a family member/friend who you KNOW will give you their complete HONEST opinion whether a wig looks GOOD or NOT on you, can be extremely helpful.   Because you are in the most vulnerable position and you may not be strong enough to say "No, that's not the one, I don't like it" (even if the sales person is telling you that you look GREAT in it!....   That's another whole discussion for another day!)   Now that I've been "doing this" for sometime now... I have NO problem going into a favorite wig shop (that I've been going to for a few years now) and walk right in.... take off my wig & try on ones she has (I don't even use the "private room" anymore.)   I truly think it helps other customers she has in there (some older women and some younger women like myself [who may be there for other medical reasons: chemo]) I think when they see me there & try on wigs... they're shocked that I was wearing one in the first place & realize they can look good and no one will really recognize it (I honestly think only other people who wear wigs can recognize someone else wearing one.)  I get compliments ALL THE TIME that they love my hair color or cut/style.  It can actually be pretty funny sometimes.   I've even given my opinion to someone else trying on wigs (of course I ask permission if they'd mind) and I think that helps too to hear it from someone else who wears wigs.  My advice is to stick with a color/style that is close to your own natural hair & the way you normally wear it (unless you're one of those women who always changed her hair style & color... then YOU GO GIRL!  Go crazy!)  And whatever you do DON'T FEEL BAD SAYING: "I DON'T LIKE THIS ONE"  It WILL take a little getting used to but it's worth it.   Be warned though that I've been to a couple of wig shops that are more about the SALE than being helpful and there are others who are like FAMILY, very sweet & understanding & helpful.    Although I wear a wig "out in public" I usually wear a head-wrap/scarf when I'm at home (but I never walk around "bald"... even after all these years dealing with it... I still can't do it.)  But do what's right for you.  Good luck.

PS:  Yes, AA does SUCK!    I have read numerous articles saying that ECZEMA (ASTHMA) & ALOPECIA all fall under the same AUTO-IMMUNE diseases which is why people diagnosed with AA usually have one (or both) other "disorders" they seem to go "hand in hand" ... oh yay.  

But basically this is a very PERSONAL experience to deal with.

It's about building up our immune system to function in optimal health. Friend told me aabout a product call limuplex. I had alopecia due to stress. My bald spots grew back in 8 week. Never to have another. My benefits are truly amazing. I am 53 years old nerve damage on my left side, bulging disk and I have no more discomforts with these issue I once had. Give Limuplex a try. Give the body the nutrients it needs and see for yourself. My name is Faye Williams and I am a Representative for Rejuvenetics Global Health and Wellness.Try another approach all. The best thing I could of done for my body because it was shared with me I am sharing the information an now I am reciprocating the same. You don't have to be depressed take control of your situation. Try Limuplex today my. www.rejuveneticsglobal.com My ID#25945.
Cell number 917 225-2621. It's great to have a support group but one has to take charge. Sharing is Caring.

Hi Rose, Your post via Facebook is what got me to join Alopecia World today. Yes it's awful when well-meaning people give you some story about so-and-so's hair all coming back; when I saw a doctor in the early days, someone with an "interest in dermatology" he told me a miracle story, I thought you're no use are you? The eczema and your alopecia are connected, sorry to say, it's all autoimmune. Yes I've had eczema all my life, since childhood, the same with alopecia. I became universalis 4 years ago and have struggled hard to accept it, I don't think anyone ever does, really. I think what is difficult is that alopecia is just so unpredictable and people find it hard to keep up, there is no research worth speaking of. Wig shopping - I've only been once - otherwise I'm under hospital treatment - and I was very stressed at the time as I'd just lost all my hair - my partner and I were coming to terms with it - I could not have thought of having someone else along. And the one thing I've found helps with eczema, itching, antihistamines is the Low Histamine Diet. A bit hard and complex to follow but easy once you've grasped the principles. You need to give some foods up but it's worth it. Yes, you are angry about your condition, and rightly so. Just take each day at a time, that's all I can say really. Best of luck x

Hi LyndaM and Rose,  I totally agree about the "miracle" stories.  It's not a miracle.  Sometimes AA grows back and sometimes it doesn't.  Not much you can do about it except try to reach a place where you are OK with it.  I do disagree when you say that no one ever does accept it though. I personally know a lot of people who have, including me.  It DOES get easier when you are older and the hair you WOULD have grown is grey!  I seriously do NOT want my own hair back.  What I have is SO much nicer and easier.  My over 50 friends hate me because I have much better (younger, not dyed) hair than they do!  They are always threatening to shave their heads - but of course we know they won't do that.  Time also makes a difference.  I've been bald since I was 37 and now I'm 66.  At 37 I was a bit of a basket case for a while but then realized that life goes on and I needed to go on with it.  Once I got good hair, I just went back to living my normal life.  I don't hide the fact that I have alopecia - in fact I share it all the time with most everyone I meet.  They are interested but other than that no one is judgmental or critical.  I find that if you think about it as just another of life's little jokes and just fix what you can and go on you'll be much happier.

Hi Rose

I feel for what you are going through..as i do for all my wig customers. After reading your post i can offer you some support by way of my wig business. I am the owner of MOPS Wigs Toronto. Shopping for wigs is very private and personal and going at it alone may feel comforting and yet make you feel vulnerable all at the same time. This is why we take our time with each customer. We service many people just like you..if you are ready to look at wearing wigs we offer private appointments at your convenience and have a large selection of human hair wigs on consignment and brand new at a fraction of the cost of all other retail wig stores. Its difficult enough to go through losing your hair..and its a big transition to wear wigs for some people. We try to make the process as easy and cost effective as possible. 

Please be in touch if you feel MOPS Wigs can be of help..you can check us out via Facebook/instagram #mopswigstoronto

I can be reached at 647 894 1836

Wish you all the very best.

Karni

I agree 100%. Many people don't know what alopecia is and the people who do, often try to reassure me or offer stories of their friends whose hair grew back. While that's all fine and well, I have scarring alopecia which means my hair REALLY won't grow back. Instead of making me feel better, it just makes me feel worse knowing my bald spots will never go away. :-(

You should visit www.curespotbaldness.com, it promotes an treatment formulated in Europe. I was unsure but decided to try the cheaper option, saw not much results in the first 2 weeks, then things took a turn. I noticed sprouting out of my follicles. I placed an order for the advanced formulation which was a lot more effective. I have currently and my bald spot is no longer visible. Be prepared to experience some burning sensation after applying.

You might want to try it and if you do, please share your experience with us too.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service