Anyone had the vaccine, or is going to get vaccinated? Or maybe someone who had covid with Alopecia?

As Alopecia is an alteration in the immune system, maybe a more active immune response against a specific protein. That is what I hear from my dermatologist. I am afraid the vaccine might trigger a dangerous response. Please start the discussion

Views: 6430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Guys, I had covid in January of 2020 for me it was like a bad flu. I have already taken the vaccine, didnt really want to but was necessary.  So far no reactions, my arm hurt very badly but no sickness at all.  I do believe everyone has the right to make a decision for their own body.  

Hi, thank you for the information! Which vaccine did you get? All the best

Hi guys, had my first shot of Pfizer yesterday. will update you with the progress.

Happy to report I'm 2 weeks fully vaccinated from the Pfizer mRNA vaccine.  Other than a small fever after shot 2, I've had to ill effects and no shedding. I was told I did not need to stop taking the drug to get the vaccine and that others on the trial have had no shedding or issues.

I'm about a year into the Pfizer trial PF-06651600 AKA Ritlecitinib. I've been incredibly fortunate that it worked for me and I have no side effects. 

36 male

JAK -- Ritlecitinib 50mg/Day 11 months

I was AA for a year prior to starting the trial.  It was the first time in my life it happened to me.  The regrowth started about 5 weeks after the trial began.

It's worth sharing this story from Reuters about the COVID mRNA vaccines and those who take certain Autoimmune drugs.  Apparently, there is evidence of reduced effectiveness if you are on a JAK inhibitor, but it's reduced effect is less so compared to broad immune suppression.  I'm not entirely sure how to apply this information in my daily life, but I plan to be cautious for the foreseeable future about COVID, regardless of the vaccine.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/autoimm...

" ....10-fold reduction in vaccine-induced antibody levels seen in patients who routinely use steroids such as prednisone and methylprednisolone and a 36-fold reduction seen with drugs that deplete B cells, including Roche's (ROG.S) Rituxan (rituximab) and Ocrevus (ocrelizumab). Reductions in antibody levels were more modest with widely used rheumatoid arthritis drugs in the class known as TNF inhibitors such as Abbvie's (ABBV.N) Humira (adalimumab) and Amgen's (AMGN.O) Enbrel (etanercept); antimetabolites like methotrexate and sulfasalazine; JAK inhibitors like Pfizer's Xeljanz (tofacitinib), gut-specific agents such as Takeda Pharmaceutical Co's (4502.T) Entyvio (vedolizumab), and IL-12/23 inhibitors including Johnson & Johnson's Stelara (ustekinumab). "

Hope that all of you are well.  Also, I feel very lucky to be able to be on this trial but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't exploring my options once it's over...will I need to take the drug still...will it be approved...is it safe long term?  It's not easy to sit around guessing about this.  I've known at least one person who had AA and without any treatment experienced full regrowth and years of remission after.  Plenty of people do not have that experience.  I try to take care of my health.  Eat well, exercise, reduce stress, (spend less time scouring the news about JAK inhibitors failing safety benchmarks).  All of it will in the end make you worried when it's out of our hands.

Wish all of you the best and hope that this info helps :)

To clarify a typo, “I’ve had no ill effects from the vaccine.” 

I feel like I'm still losing eyebrows.  They say the vaccines supercharge your immune system. For us AA sufferers, our immune systems aren't exactly behaving themselves.  I think I'll keep mine as calm as possible. 

I'm healthy....young by covid mortality standards.  I'm starting to wish I never took the vaccine.

Lots of mixed feelings about vaccination. Well I can't wait for mine, however, I do insist on Pfizer. I think the mRNA or Pfizer/Moderna are the safest for us as AA, AT or AU sufferers. Please keep sharing as much experience as possible, the information is useful for us all now and in the future. All the best.

I am having my first covid vaccine dose in June 12th. My plan is to not stop Xeljanz most probably. I will be sharing how it goes.

Anyone willing to share their experience with vaccination?

Hi,

I had Pfizer vaccine in January and February. No problems.

Hi!

I have AU and i had my first shot of Pfizer two weeks ago. Never hesitated about taking the vaccine. I had a slight head ache the day after but that´s it. Counting on a little more reaction after the second shot though, butI am not worried about it.

Hello all, I am 43 and just e few months with AU. I was 3 years with mild AA and full regrow of my spots but last year and during COVID 19 my AA worsen with big multiple spots which I was lucky I could cover. Soon after another full regrowth and in practically 2 months by the end of 2020 I lost all my hair . 
In January I started my therapy with betamethasone and three week after my 3rd shot I did the first dose of Pfizer vaccine . I didn’t hesitated as it was ok from my doctor and I also read mRNAs are the safest for people with autoimmune diseases due to no real virus them . So had happened to me . While after my cortisone shots I have seen stabilisation of my eyebrows and lots of small hair . Suddenly after vaccine my situation deteriorated again and lost the last eye brows and the majority of lashes . 
I felt that it was not the best choice to have the vaccine in the middle of my therapy and somehow offset all my drug therapy effect . Obviously it might not be relayed and my AU could have been really persistent  
Besides the above I had no other side effect from the Pfizer vaccine and at least can leave with less of the COVID 19 fear . 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service