Hey there, this is only my first proper post, so sorry, but its gonna be long :) I started wearing wigs about 2.5 years ago. Starting off first with a synthetic Jon Reneau & quickly moving on to full lace human hair wigs. I have androgenic alopecia or diifuse alopecia areata (they couldn't decide!) Had been loosing my hair since I was 16, so after years of lamenting, I bit the bullet, shaved the head and got into wigs :) Having lost a lot of my confidence over those years, I'm only now starting to sort of gain it back. I've always wanted to learn how to swim & surf, so have been trying but am struggling to find the right set-up of wig (or wigs) to get me through easily. Since I bond my full wig with tape,I don't really have issues with how secure it is, my question moreso is: Is it possible to continue an active lifestyle, including waterpsorts, whilst maintaining a decent looking wig (ones thats attached to your head I mean :))? I can't afford a Follea etc type wig, plus I think most people would scream if I suggested swimming or surfing in them! I buy cheaper FL wigs from China online, thats all I can afford,theres not a lot available n my area plus I like the lengths & realistic part lines of them. However, I could see them easily being ruined by all this water activity + extra washing; my current wig is already drying out and matting a bit.Also, I don't think freedom type wigs would suit due to price and the presence of head stubble :) Does anyone else do this kind of stuff? And how do they maintain the wig or wigs? It's possible I asking for too much, but I'm still not ready to go au naturel :( any suggestions welcome xx

Views: 43496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just looked at that website. There are so many cute ones! I really like the curly choice since I have/had super curly hair. Too cute! I think I'd only ever wear a hat or scarf daily since the front of my wig is always what bothers me.

Hi

I asked my daughter about swimming in the wig she wears and asked would she want to take it off to wear another type of wig....her answer was she would rather not. She thinks of her hair as her hair and this can be limiting if she needed to swap it out etc. For some people this may work well, but for others they really prefer a wig that they can live life in without having to swap it out for certain activities Even though every wig I've ever learnt about has difficulty keeping up with people's growing hair. :( Some wigs can give you better overall options. So, do a little investigating.

Rosy

thanks to everyone for the responses, I won't be getting the swimscarfs - but yes, swim caps are good, they do offera little more protection for the hair. I'm thinking a lace wig with synthetic hair might work for salt water a little better. Nice ones are difficult to come by though. I think I am like your daughter Rose Marie, I think of it as my hair - the only time I have my bald head out is at home, and not very often - it get chilly :)

I understand your daughters thoughts completely. I have been asked the same thing especially when going on holiday and the whole swim problem. I too feel, that it is my hair and don't really want to swap and change it like it is a hat.

I used to wear a long shaggy wig that was attached to  stretchy headband. It felt so secure and I bought several and keep the oldest one for swimming in. I would clip it up like normal hair. I was devastated when the company that produce it went out of business and bought the last of the stock. However, I now feel too old to wear that 'disco' hair and have opted for a short style which has taken me 6 months to finally get used to.

You can purchase many wigs online that seems natural to your look and also are of good quality. Many companies are making natural hair wigs but you have to be very choosy and selective in your selection of hair wigs so that you can find yourself a good match for hairs. If you have time then may be this will be better option for you. http://wigsbycc.com/

There is a lot to consider here, for one, lace wigs tend to stretch when wet, and the weight of the water could just pull the wig off your head. Also, synthetic hair is better with watersports as it does not absorb the water and get heavy, BUT it might be difficult to find a synthetic that has an appropriate cap for water sports. What about taking a lightweight swim cap and attaching a synthetic wig to it, rather than trying to find a wig that works in water.
The wig could be attached by sewing, maybe medical adhesive would hold it too. This way, you would have security and hair. I doubt it would be that comfortable, most swim caps are not. But it could address your issues with caps. Also, something like this could easily be removed once you are done swimming, and not leave you with a tangled human hair wig that you can't get off your head.
I would be happy to try to help you to configure this, I don't sell online so if you have a wig that you like, we can try with that. Keep in mind that once the hair gets wet, the skeleton of the wig will show and I don't know how you might feel about that.

The bottom line is that we must accept that nothing will give you as natural of a look than you had before your hair started to fall, and nothing will be as comfortable as your own hair would be. But IF you are determined to have hair though out your activities, it could be done.
Many providers promise that your hair addition will be just like your bio hair, and this is not true. Every person must weigh how important it is to have hair, and what they will accept. There is always a compromise.

This is very interesting to me. I was just diagnosed about a little over a month ago. I love watersports...sailing, swimming, snorkeling, etc and spend a LOT of time in the water. I am frantic about how I will hide my hair loss as this condition progresses. Right now my hair is very, very short. I am scared I won't be able to do all the watersports I love.

Yes you can. My daughter lives in the water in the summer. She wears all lace wigs and attaches with super tape. They have not stretched out as previously mentioned. She braids them to keep them from tangling.

Does your daughter wear human hair and is there a brand of tape that she likes?  Would love to be able to swim with hair.  Also can she swim underwater?

She uses super tape and she buys it on ebay. Yes she swims under water, dives , surfs, wakeboards etc. in them. No problems with the wigs but cannot keep eye lashes on.

This is great information! I've just joined this forum after reading discussions about products and treatments. I'm still hopeful that my hair will come in and the vellus hairs will grow stronger. How does the tape or glue affect those hairs?

Hi Mary - I am interested to know how did your condition progress and what solutions did you use?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service