I have a question about Xeljanz.  Is Xeljanz an immunosuppressant drug?  If so, isn't that dangerous?  How, if it is an immunosuppressant drug, is it any different than prednisone?  I really know nothing about Xeljanz, but I wonder why doctors would give someone a drug that suppresses the immune system and could cause a host of other problems.  It appears that people with alopecia areata have an overactive immune system, which mistakes the hair as a foreign invader and suppresses the follicle from growing hair.  Shouldn't research in this particular area be focused on "retraining" the immune system rather than "suppressing" the immune system?  I've heard that having an overactive immune system leaves people more prone to autoimmune diseases, but having an underactive immune system predisposes people more to infections and cancers. I was on 20 ml for over 2 months of prednisone.  I ended up with cataracts in both eyes (the type caused by prednisone) and high eye pressure.  I never had these problems before, and after I got off the prednisone, my hair loss progressed from alopecia areata to alopecia universalis within 4 or 5 months.  I am still AU after 4 years.  If anything, prednisone did not work for me, and even made my hair loss much worse.

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So who has alopecia areata would not have cancer...it would be wonderful but i think it's no correct.

Nicolas, I am not sure I understand your response.  I am saying that I have heard that having an overactive immune system does make you less susceptible to infections and cancers.  However, I have also heard that sometimes people with autoimmune diseases (such as alopecia areata) actually have higher rates of cancer.  BUT, IT IS NOT BECAUSE OF THE AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE.  It is because of the immunosuppressant drugs that they use to treat the alopecia areata that suppress the immune system.  I guess sometimes we just cannot win for losing (LOL!)!!

Hi Sabine. Xeljanz and prednisone are both inhibitors however prednisone operates in a broader effect on the bodies system. Xeljanz is targeted to suppress only the enzyme Janus kinase ONE. It is this enzyme that is presumably causing our immune system the confusion and therefore the resulting follicle attack resulting in the hair loss. From reports xeljanz does not appear to be effective on all people so maybe this condition is sometimes caused by jak 1 and maybe partially jak 2 and/or jak 3. Hopefully variations of these drugs are being readied and also in varying strengths over the next 2-5 years allowing us a better chance to combat the condition in a more effective and safer way. Safety is my priority, that being said though xeljanz does not appear to have caused any major health issues for users so far and with medical monitoring can minimise issues.

Thank you so very much for your response, Bibby.  Makes complete sense, since Xeljanz appears to be a much more refined version of an inhibitor than prednisone.  We don't want to solving one problem and creating another one (sometimes much worse) with immunosuppressant drugs like prednisone.

Prednisone isn't the best option, Can-c is way better. My doctor said that prednisone is a tragic waste of money, Click here to check the information on can-c.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service