Hello Fellow Alopecians!  There is so much info on ordering wigs, however not as much information about the condition of these wigs a few months or a year after they're ordered.  I've had cheap indian remy wigs last me two to three years, and some more expensive European hair wigs last less than a year.  I'm so curious to know how others' wigs are holding up at the one year mark ... would love to see photos and review of one year old wigs!  And please share name of manufacturer, where you ordered, and approx. price point. 

Views: 16391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Andrea. For the tip on the sale for the Venezia.. Gonna go look now!
Oh how I hate to hear your bad wig story. Been there too many times and so understand your frustration. I have had wigs from Peggy Knight, Freedom wigs, and Gemstress.. All human hair. My conclusion? There is no quality PROCESSED human hair wigs. The hair in freedom wigs is the best but... They cost $5,000 AND are hot for any activity. follea caps were comfy and airy but hair quality did not last. Gemstress..comfy cap and breathable, but loses hair quickly and hair does not move like virgin hair. So I wear my freedom piece unless I'm active.. Then I switch to my Gemstress piece but I wear it in a low pony so you can't tell it doesn't swish or move like good hair. There are some newer synthetics out there that look more natural than before.. I have a few of those also. My favorite synthetic is Gabor Fantasy petite..my color gl6-30 mahogany. Trim the bangs and it's good to go. Cost was $170.

Also, I added treatment oil to processed hair after washing and this helped a lot! awapuhi by Paul Mitchell. What we really really want-need is a cap by Gemstress with hair like freedom. Why can't that be done? I wish I knew! Please share your own storie and findings. It's so helpful for all if us looking for "the perfect wig"
Thanks for your tips, & for sharing your experiences. I totally agree that processed hair needs frequent deep conditioning, and I did put Moroccan oil on the ends of my first Follea,when I discovered the dryness problem. I should add that the two HOEH wigs that I have owned for 18 months, have never needed a deep condition, never needed any treatments for dryness,and I even had one of them hi-lighted twice during that time. They both feel as good as the day I bought them. I wish they offered better caps, but maybe trying their silicon version could be a solution. It's also a longer length, which I am looking for. That is in the $5,000 price range, but I can almost guarantee the hair itself is worth it. They can be found for discounted prices also. If you deal,personally with the owner at WigSalon.com, he will offer a discount on HOEH, and he will allow returns within reason.
I was willing to give Follea another chance, but I fear I will be disappointed again. As you said,they are still processed hair. I have read mixed reviews on Gemstress & have not tried them. Is Freedom only sold through company reps? It may be my next move......
The quest continues for most of us, & I think the "perfect wig" may be so elusive because (despite what companies like Follea claim), there is no perfect wig, & processed hair is just that. It won't last, & the idea of " slightly processed hair", is really absurd. Why did I fall for that??
ABOUT HOUSE OF EUROPEAN HAIR

Natural. Light. Soft. House of European Hair is a full line of wigs, integrations, hairpieces and fringes using only the finest quality of virgin European hair. Whether you want a whole new look or just an enhancement, our premium quality allows for total customization without damaging your own hair.When we say our hair is truly virgin, we mean it! All of the hair used in our wigs and hairpieces are harvested ethically from Europe. Unlike other hair systems, all hair used in our wigs and hairpieces have been cut directly from ponytails of all textures and colors to offer a natural, full variety. Our hair has never been processed or colored, only cleansed and conditioned. The cuticles are left intact and facing the same to direction to maintain shine and texture wash after wash. What’s more? Hair in each piece was sourced from a single individual’s head to ensure a natural movement.We know that your wig should make a statement as unique as your own personal style. So go ahead… highlight, perm, straighten and style our wigs as you please! Create your own look. Add a little drama to your hair. HEH is all about ease of wear and customization.

Hi Rose,

Have you tried House of European Hair?  I see they have a stretch cap now with strips of silicone ... I'd love to know more about it.  And, the Gemtress piece you have ... is it the European hair one or their standard one?  The European hair piece I have from them is beautiful in terms of hair quality and movement, however it is still processed and not likely to look great after a year.  Thanks for sharing!

Andrea

Andrea... NO. I have not tried House of European Hair, yet. I posted what they say on their website, which makes it very clear on the quality of the hair. truly virgin... unprocesssed. I'm thinking it will be my next purchase.

My Gemtress is the European hair, I think. "slightly processed"  If Remy hair is European hair, that's what I have.  I'm so intrigued that you LIKE the quality of hair in your gemtress... that the hair has movement. Mine has no movement. I wonder what is different in yours than in mine...I shall research this.. talk to the gal who ordered mine for me. movement for one year would make me happy, at this price.  Did you say... what did you pay for your Gemtress?

Lori's site sells is significantly cheaper than if you were to buy it through a salon. US $1925 I believe.  But she occasionally offers a site-wide sale with 10-25% off.  (Others sell it for $2500.)  I am in Canada, so with our brutal exchange rate right now that's of course an additional 30% for me ... so I've made my most recent purchase when they were offering the 25% off sale.

Just pulled up the link ... here it is http://www.wigsite.com/product-p/ivenicevenezia.htm

Gemtress sells "100% remy human hair" and "100% European human hair".  I bought the European one, though note that too is slightly processed.  Lori's site doesn't call it Gemtress by the way, they refer to it as their Impressions line.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what you find.  Love sharing info!

Andrea

Andrea.. perfect answer. thanks. 

I re read this thread (getting quite long!), and realized we had covered some stuff already. oh well...

okay then, my GEMTRESS is Remy Human Hair. THAT explains why yours still has movement and mine never did. Seems my price was $1,400 (custom made cap) while yours was about $1,700  (100% European human hair, but maybe not a CUSTOM cap)

still unanswered I think:  why you have matting at the base and I do not. 

I did not know that Lori's site sells GEMTRESS under the "Impressions" line name. I am feeling informed!  thank you.

now... off to look at the wigsalon.com .

Hi Amf23 I know exactly how you feel Follea wigs are not European hair they are 100% processed hair I got the lifestyle2 and the wig had 75% density in front and around 50% density at back. the colour changed after a few wash and just because of the shedding I had to use a sealer which damaged the cap. they put lots of keratin on their hair which will be goaway after a few wash and the hair become dry and tangled. In my wig the quality of the hair in the front is different of the hair in the back.  Follea got his reputation from their representative because of %60 discount they do lots of advertisement to mislead clinets and have their own wig for free. I use my follea only 2 days a week and after exact 2 year is wearing off and just like you I am desperately looking for another one.  please let me know if you found a good wig my problem is that I am looking for a nice blond which is hard to find through internet.  

I could not agree more about Follea wigs. I have worn my replacement Follea for 6 days, and it is tangling,drying at the ends, .& splitting at the ends, especially in back. I have asked for a refund. The first time, they offered a refund or a replacement & I was foolish enough to believe I got a "lemon" and took the replacement.
I had worn House of European Hair wigs in the past,and LOVED them. They don't have many choices in caps, or in lace fronts, but I have recently learned that they are offering one style with a silicon cap. Also, it can be special ordered with other styles. I haven't tried the silicon cap yet, but I think it will be similar to the Gripper. Their hair is truly Virgin European hair and one piece is made from just one donor. I have two shorter style HOEH wigs (no lace front), but the hair is just as beautiful after 18 months as the day I bought it. I was looking for a better "grip" with no tape, or glue, and I wanted a longer style. That's when I made the huge mistake of buying my first Follea.
HOEH's price point is close to Follea's but can often be found at discounts. Cyster wigs often has 40% off HOEH. (No returns). Check out Wig Salon.com too. If you call them for a consult, they will give a similar discount with returns allowed.
Bottom line - I'm still searching, but zeroing in on the cap I want, but for me, HOEH is the best truly virgin European hair on the market today. The 24 is a nice blonde, but keep in mind that becaus they are virgin,ther are variations within each color. The upside to that is they can be highlighted or low lighted very safely. One of my HOEH wigs is a 24 that's been highlighted twice. It has never even needed a deep condition. Hope this helps all.

This is great information, thank you so much!  I'm totally intrigued!!!  How do you think their silicone cap compares with Gemtress European hair cap?  I love the Gemtress cap ... not so crazy about the hair after the 8 month mark, really bad at the one year mark.  Would love to know more. :)\

Hi Andrea,
I don't know how the HOEH silicon cap compares to Gemtress's cap. I have only seen one small pic. I just found out about it a day or so ago. I will definitely be looking into it. Another thing with HOEH is that they don't always have blondes in stock. Since blond is higher demand, and occurs less naturally, you sometimes have to wait for it. (In any of the styles or caps). I inquired about Susan S in 24 (their light golden blonde) & they didn't have one available right now. I think you need to keep inquiring. I am going to look for more pics & will post what I find.
I have not tried Gemtress European hair wigs. I've read some very favorable things, & others say they are cheaply made & not really European hair??
I am very new to this website, but have learned a lot from many of you. Thx to all!! I really think we need to help each other, because we all struggle with the same issues, & the wig industry is certainly of NO help!!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service