Hello Fellow Alopecians!  There is so much info on ordering wigs, however not as much information about the condition of these wigs a few months or a year after they're ordered.  I've had cheap indian remy wigs last me two to three years, and some more expensive European hair wigs last less than a year.  I'm so curious to know how others' wigs are holding up at the one year mark ... would love to see photos and review of one year old wigs!  And please share name of manufacturer, where you ordered, and approx. price point. 

Views: 16386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

How much do the wigs cost? thank you

Wow.  This wig looks great.  i should get me one.

this looks gorgeous!!! no tangling, shiny, healthy hair! wow and this is a 4 yr old wig...how did she take care of it? I wear my wig 24/7 and it lasts me like 2=3 month=(( but its a cheap version of remy/full lace wig that i order from eBay...Please share care instructions, maybe im doing something wrong that it doesnt last me long...Thank you

wow 4 years is amazing wig 

Andrea: my two cents:  My FREEDOM pieces are the best. Most expensive. Best quality hair. No tangling. I'd say the minimum quality life span with NO repairs is five years. I order 12 inches. Virgin European hair. Always colored to match your wishes. Does need to be updated periodically with a coloring as it oxidizes and gets that "red" look in the sunlight. Current price: $4,695.  However, I baby my FREEDOM pieces so much. I use other pieces for yardwork and exercise, swimming. Bottom line for me: FREEDOM pieces do not breathe and I get too hot to quickly so,  Secondary pieces: I've had many. some cheap synthetics for days at the beach. But for other activities, I like the human hair ones as nothing looks as natural as human hair. BUT... they always tangle eventually. So I wear them in a low pony tail or pulled back with a hair clip. Tangling NOT an issue. I just ordered a new one. I THINK it is a GEMTRESS, custom made (to fit my head, my color, and my wishes as to density). Cost: $1,400. Very nice skin looking top. I am sure I will need extra conditioning products to keep it tangle free. I used to use a leave in conditioner which made a huge difference. If I can think of the name of the product... I will share. After I get my newest piece, I'll let you know it's pros and cons.  

Wow thanks Rose!  The one I have is a Gemtress actually, their European Hair one.  Do love the cap and loved the hair when it first arrived.  I have worn it every single day since I got it ten months ago, as I only every use one wig at a time (perhaps that's the problem! :)).  However it is starting to tangle at the roots of the hair.  Not the hair that is coming out of the silk part, but the hair that is coming out of the lace ... it tangles in the first few inches from the lace, the rest of the hair is fine.  I've also noticed that when I wash the hair then the part of it that I'm having issues with doesn't actually absorb water ... it seems to be dry when I pull it out of my sink.  Have never seen that before with my Indian remy wigs.  So I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do, what to order next time, or what my realistic expectations should be for a wig.

Hmmmm. Never heard of hair tangling at the ROOTS. My tangle problems have always been in the longer hair section.  The fact it is tangling at the roots tells me they have knotted the hair at the lace section, and so you have backwards hair at the base. Hair cuticles going up on one hair, and going down on the next hair, created a big ball of KNOTS. I don't know of any product that will fix THAT. Wow... bummer times a thousand. I wonder if they treated that area (the roots area) with heavy silicone, and that's why it was okay in the beginning. Silicone may explain why it seemingly does not absorb water. I hear your frustration.. I've felt that FRUSTRATION so many times!!! GRRRRR!!! I wish I was a millionaire and could make the perfect human hair wigs and sell them at cost to all alopecians. I've re read of Sue T's posting on the China wigs. Maybe we should try those? I can tell you that the first time ever in my life where I stopped worrying about my hair, the wind, someone seeing thru the hair, tangling, was when I got my quality FREEDOM piece. I put in on my VISA card. $5,000 over five years seemed doable. 'till hot flashes started. now I need a second piece.  I hate change when it comes to my hair, so every piece I order is cut and colored to match what I have. I wish I had THEE answer for you. I am waiting for my first GEMTRESS... full report on that after I get it. Keep sharing..........we all need to know this stuff.

I'm with you on that one!  I wish I could sit down with the designer and create THE wig.  I think I know what I need.  The Gemtress Venice wig cap, however with better extensions to reach down in front of the ear area ... otherwise holds amazingly well with no glue or tape, looks perfect from above, and allows for loose buns and ponytails.  Not too hot in the summer.  Perfect.  So take that cap then add virgin hair.  I am sure virgin European hair is the answer to the tangling issue.  SOOOOO ... who will create this for us at a decent price?  I've read great reviews and saw stunning photos of wigs made by Featherlite (out of Toronto).  $3000-$3500 a piece.  Perhaps that's one to explore ....

Let's keep searching and let's keep sharing.

Will do... and thanks for the Featherlite info. That's new to me. Off I go to look. This is a full time job!!!

Oh too funny ... that is exactly how I feel!  Go to wigsupport.com and do a search on there for Featherlite.  STUNNING photos on there from a gal who ordered three wigs from this vendor in Toronto (oh, and paid $10,000 for the three!).  Vendor does have a website but won't show cap construction photos on it as she doesn't want others to make what she is making ... so not sure what the cap is like really.  However the gal who ordered them said they're phenomenal, and the hair is supposed to be virgin European hair.  Apparently will last 6-7 years.  Keep me posted!

I owned a Featherlite and the cap on mine was just like any other standard sheitel cap. It's closed wefted, lace pattern over the silk top, edges are just like any other sheitel. There is really nothing special about the cap itself. The silk top is very nice and realistic and the hair is actually virgin European (I've had Milano wigs, Gemtress, Mazali Bliss, and other human hair wigs and none of them have the same kind of hair quality as on the Featherlite.) I sold my Featherlite because I didn't like the cut (it was far shorter than I had wanted) but the hair is really nice - I just wouldn't expect something extraordinary from the caps. I used to have photos of the cap ... I'm not sure if I deleted them or not. If I can find them, I will post them.

Thanks for the comment on Featherlite!  So given that you've tried Milano, Gemtress, Mazali and Featherlite, which one would you say is your favourite overall?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service