Hello Fellow Alopecians!  There is so much info on ordering wigs, however not as much information about the condition of these wigs a few months or a year after they're ordered.  I've had cheap indian remy wigs last me two to three years, and some more expensive European hair wigs last less than a year.  I'm so curious to know how others' wigs are holding up at the one year mark ... would love to see photos and review of one year old wigs!  And please share name of manufacturer, where you ordered, and approx. price point. 

Views: 16391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting the photos! Very helpful to SEE the pieces.

See photos of my Gemtress Venezia (also called Impressions Venice on some sites) wig.  Cap is wonderful, however doesn't extend far enough into the 'sideburn' area in front of the ears on me.  Hair was wonderful when arrived, started tangling a little at the 6 month mark at the back.  One year into wearing the wig daily, it is now tangling more.  Silk top allows for a completely natural looking part.

Would love to see photos of other wigs 6 months to 1 year after purchase to see how other brands wear over time.

Attachments:

Thanks for the photos Andrea. My CUSTOM made GEMTRESS is on order. I loaned them my fit cap from my FREEDOM piece. My FREEDOM rep has the laser machine to make the mold. perfect perfect fit. So onrite, (Gemtress manufacturer) has my actual head shape in front of them. Told them to add two inches to the bottom. Gave them a color sample. Now I wait...  6-8 weeks. I hope I don't have the tangling at the roots problem down the road. will let you know!

Hi Rose

I have to say I was a little taken back with this post.  Your Freedom fitcap was made for your Freedom Wig and you are right it is very accurate...that is what a freedom wig is.  I'm somewhat perplexed around onrite(Gemtress) wanting to use another manufacturers fitting techniques. What does that say about them and their own processes.  I know that Freedom Manufacturing would never take another companies fitting techniques over what they have researched and know works for their product. 

I think this is a risky action by you and I would be thoughtful around whether this is going to be helpful for all concerned. Your Freedom fitcap was made in good faith for your freedom wig...not really to be passed on to other manufacturers.  I personally find this a little disappointing and shocking as it is not something I would ever have thought anybody would think was appropriate.  If you would like to try another wig wouldn't it be a far safer practise to use their procedures??

Rosy 

With all due respect Rose Marie, Rose is just trying to get an excellent fit with a "lace cap" wig which Freedom does not even make. Since you are a seller and advocate for Freedom wigs I can see why you would be a taken back by Rose "lending her mold" originally made by Freedom which Rose paid for when she bought her Freedom wig. It would be my understanding that she owns her measurements and her mold and her Freedom wig, unless she signed some exclusive legal document  that you would know more about. I hardly see why this is "risky".

Gemtress cost less than 1/3 the price of her Freedom wig and if she can use her own paid for mold to get a great fit on her next cheaper wig, Bless Rose.

Gemtress co doesnt operate like Freedom with private sellers as yourself. I would imagine as a Freedom seller, your beautiful daughter got a discount on her amazing wigs.

We all trying to get the best options for ourselves and share all information for the best hair and best fit.  It is very individual and I appreciate your knowledge and support.

Just my 2 cents, as I was given my custom "block" by my wig maker with her blessings. 

Hi

I sort of understand why this may have happened I just never thought another company would want to use others measurements or that a Freedom wearer would think a freedom fitcap appropriate for fitting another type of wig...that was not what it was made for...it was made to fit a freedom wig.  It's risky as I know a fitcap is used in conjunction with some very serious procedures so the Freedom wearer gets the best result.  I don't think it would work so well as a fitting tool with out the other procedures.  You could get a really wonky fit...:( The fitcap is designed for a Freedom Wig. 

Ownership of the fitcap isn't really part of the process. The fitcap is a fitting tool used by Freedom and their IA's to get the most accurate fit possible for the wearer.  It's not a tool that is transferrable to other products.

Glowgirl I truly do understand this is difficult and information is always so fraught with bias (my own included), misinformation and people just not knowing what they don't know.

I personally wish Rose well on her journey with finding alternatives that work well for her as I do you.  I know the difficulty that alopecia brings to people's lifes...I get it and I really just want to make sure that the information I supply is truthful, forthright and caring. 

Rosy

Hi Rosy,

If a saran wrap mold would have worked, maybe Rose could have done that as well.  I imagine they were trying to replicate a fit she likes with their product. I want to know how her Gemtress turns out:)    Thanks Rosy for all your knowledge and class!

Thank you glowgirl, for writing a response to Rosy. You nailed it. Rosy, it was MY idea to send in my FREEDOM fit cap to OnRite, not their request. I disagree about the fitcap not being transferable to another wigmaking process. I don't have it yet, but I will let you know how it turns out. I expect a PERFECT fit, and less than perfect hair quality, at a much lower cost. (FREEDOM piece $4,695 GEMTRESS $1,400). 

Hi Andrea

Wear and tear on a wig is a pretty subjective thing for the wearer.  To get a true understanding of how long a wig will last you would have to be comparing the same wig with the same wearer, doing exactly the same lifestyle. You can't really compare a silicone base with a lace base...just no comparison...but you do get different things from each of the caps.  Wigs last as long as people let them:)  I have had some lovely ladies that have come to me with problems with their wigs and after discussion you find out that they were doing something in a repetitive manner that they just didn't realise.  Like continually rearranging a hairstyle etc....once they become educated the problems disappeared.  So this is a really subjective thread.  I think the only thing that you can do is to keep working through and educating yourself on the different features and benefits of all the different types of wigs available to you. 

Rosy

Gena Croucher wearing her Gripper

Gina Croucher Gripper http://youtu.be/Pwl6su3PUxg

Carmen West

Hello There Andrea

Just reading your last post and thinking that you may need a customised cap to get your cap where you need it to sit.  Those wigs that come in set sizes are often a little more difficult to fit.  Such as the one you are currently wearing, Follea, Jon Renau, featherlite etc and other stock wigs.  (The company you currently work with and some of the others may offer customisation).It always costs a little more for a customised hairpiece but for most it is well worth the effort.  I would really only make that choice if you were also getting hair that was the best.  (Always ask if the hair has been processed at all...if you get fobbed off with wiggy type jargon...like yes it is processed but just a small amount, I personally never get what that means, because when you process hair it is not soft on it...no matter what you do it is harsh...just be aware that it will have issues down the track and even though the wig may look good at the beginning after a year or so it will often be dry and not so great.)

Good luck with everything.

Rosy

Thanks Rosy for your encouraging words and thoughtful input. :)  So which companies deal with virgin unprocessed hair then?  Freedom does and Featherlite does from what I understand.  Anyone else, or are these our basic options?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service