Ive been thinking about asking my dermatologist for a prescription for lumigan...has anyone else been prescribed this for the sole purpose of growing eyelashes or eyebrows??? did you have any success? having alopecia can be hard, but i think the hardest part for me is not having lashes or brows

Views: 3277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went in to see a derm(not my usual derm) a couple of weeks ago to get the steroid shots for my eyebrows and I asked about the Lumigan and he would not prescribe it for me. He said I would have to actually see an eye doctor in order to get it. They sell Latisse at their clinic, which is $200 per bottle and lasts only 1 month. Someone on here said their Lumigan was only $25 with insurance, so Im thinking this clinic just wanted me to fork over the $200. I see my regular Derm later this month so I'm definately going to ask her about it. If I cant get it, I may ask her about giving me shots in my eyelids. Scary!!
I'm using latisse now. A friend used it and had amazing results within a month. It's expensive and requires a prescription if you buy Latisse in the U.S., but if you buy Lumigan (same thing) from Canada online, it's a third of the price. You can also buy it online from the UK without a prescription for $40 for 3ml.
I hope you read up on it and keep asking as many people as you can think of. Such as your pharmacy, your DO and so on. Maybe even WEB MD kind of sites.

I personally have issues with newer drugs. With my past of almost dieing from Dithranol cream it has made it hard for me to try anything at all. To risk my eye site? No way. No matter how much I miss my lashes. which is tons.

I was in the ICU for 7 days. They had my exhusband bring my sons in, the clergy as well.
(The brain surgeon was called in. A very caring man that was brought to tears while talking to me.) My face was so swollen that my eyes were completly closed off by swelling. This topical cream was on my head only. But became severly infected within 2 days. My derm came into my room and had me sign a paper stating she no longer would see me do to the fact I was to sensitive to products and no longer felt she could help me. It was for sueing her but I figured that out and did not care at the moment I was dying. She even brought her 7 year old in with her.
I had found out I was 4 weeks pregnant on the second day of use as well. They warned me in the ER that I would need to terminate the pregnancy or run the risk of late term miscarriage or deformaties. My 3 sons were all under 6.

I am not saying do not try it. You are not me. Nor am I saying anything bad about others who are using it now.
But think about this. Is it worth the risk of your eye site? You miss your hair, as i do. But again your eye site is something I would never risk.
Please contact me if you would like to know anything further about treatments I have had over the last 18 years.
Lol, or any questions.
Good luck,
char
Dont you just hate this eyelash thing, i really think that it affects me more than i realise, especially when it comes to giving eye contact to someone, do you feel the same, have just read about Lumigan sounds interesting, do you need to see a dermatologist or will a doctor prescribe it..

Stef
HI there, I am new to this and have been thinning on top in front and especially above my ears on the sides of my head for the past 3 years. It's getting pretty bad now and depressing. I'm 45.

The key question, if you happen to know, is can the Lumigan be used on the scalp? Eyelashes are nice but the most exciting thing about these drops for me would be if we can use on the scalp. My derm sells the name brand at a high price for lashes, but I'm trying to find out if anyone has used the generic on the scalp or has heard of a study?

The name brand lash stuff is called Latisse (I'm sure everyone knows this, but I'm new so...) and Lumigan is a bit cheaper since it is supposed to be used after glaucoma surgery and has been out for a while. THEN I saw online that there is a GENERIC called Bimatoprost (I need to check my spelling but it is something like that) I am not sure if the generic is available in the US. (Or if it is safe to use - which is why I'm checking to see if anyone's heard of a study or used on the scalp.)

Latisse or Lumigan eems not to have the shedding-at-first issue that scares me about minoxidil or rogaine.

If you know or hear anything on this please share!

Thanks,

Carrie
Hi Carrie,

I've never hear of this product being used on the scalp.
The study I am familliar with says...Product is effective in AA if you have >50% of your lashes. <50% not effective with AA.
I've heard you can get this product in Canada for muh less.

Best of luck!!!

Jeffrey
Hi Jeff-

Luv ya, but not quite right. Here's the full explanation with link to study in my blog:

The only study using alopecia patients ( and a very small sample at that) says that no growth was found in alopecia patients with greater than 50% loss of lashes. No study was yet attempted on alopecia patients with less than 50% loss of lashes.

My opthalmologist so far is saying I should not try it.
Here's why: so long as it's possible that even though I would try not to get any in my eye, I might get some in my eye. And while the change would be subtle and I might not notice it at first, over time my baby blues would turn brown by getting it in my eye. With great make-up gel I can fake a lash line so convincingly, I'm not going to risk losing my blues no matter how low the monthly expense.

Thea,founder
BaldGirlsDoLunch.org

Read my blog with research updates of interest to all alopecians.. We were first to warn the alopecia community about the dangers of Raptiva when alopecians were still being recruited to join the clinical trial.
Thanks Thea,

I knew I could count on you for back-up!!!

Luv Ya too!!!

Jeffrey
Hugs!
I can recommend a reputable pharmacy (Lumigan) canadian-medshop.com/item.php?id=7304&aid=9210 Good price and quality.
I have not heard of Lumigan but have tried Latisse. I agree with you on how hard it is to not have lashes or brows - i hate it. I thought not having scalp hair is hard enough then we get hit with another devastating loss! Latisse did not work for me and i tried it for about 2 mths. i may start again but sometimes i just don't think anything works for us with Alopecia A - it has a mind of its own sorry to say!

Let me know how Lumigan works for you! Good Luck!
i also asked my derm about using latisse on scalp but he said it would be very expensive since you would need so much. and,it's like rogaine, once you stop using it they will fall out again.

Who knows of some really good water-proof eyeliner. I am using Smashbox now and it's "ok"! Most people don't notice i have no eyelashes, only when i tell them and then they have to look closer.

i'd rather have scalp hair than brow or lashes - right!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service