Hi,
I'm a new member here and desperately need to hear a "happy ending" story. I am the mother of a 4 year old who was recently diagnosed with alopecia areata. It seems as though I spend every waking moment, fighting back tears, looking for an answer for her, trying to find a cure, trying to find out why there isn't more definitive research being done. I read thru so many posts here and find them so useful and helpful. What I need to hear is that someone else's child had alopecia once, for a brief moment, and it never came back. Is there anyone like that here? Or when/if the alopecia goes away, do members stop posting?

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Bogie,
I ask her how she feels often, but at 4 and just starting kindergarten, there's only so much she can say as far as expressing her true feelings. I read the posts, tried so many different things for her (Dermmatch to mask the balding spots, clobetasol, protopic, omega 3 vitamins, buried treasure vitamins that someone here posted about, essential oils, headbands, scarfs, wraps, etc.) The doctors here are very hesitant to try anything else with her because of her young age (no shots, etc.)
Even though the site is only 4 months old, I still cling to the hope that there are some happy endings out there and that we, too, will have one to share.
Thank you Tim. Yeah, alopecia was definitely a shock for us, and being so new to this, it's a struggle to grasp any other happy ending other than her alopecia going into total remission, never to return. Trust me, I know that alopecia may pale in comparison to other illnesses, and I am thankful that she is a healthy child
Kayreyn,
Hi, my name is Angela and my son Jose has alopecia totalis. Yes it is easier (a little) because he is a boy. But its just hair. There are places you can call if your daughter goes bald that will send hats with hair and wigs fro her and sometimes there are support groups in big cities. I am asked frequently why doesnt my baby have hair or when he was losing his hair I wanted to knock people out for looking at my child weird. The doctors just say that there is no cure as of now but if she just has areata she is good. I have a friend who had areata when my son was diagnosed with areata. It was weird she grew her hair back and my son went completely bald and lost an eyebrow. But after he had an allergic reaction to something in July he has more hair now than he has had in the past 3 years. Hang in there sweetie I know its hard. i couldnt understand it either. But like I said earlier its just hair. Its not cancer or an illness that is deadly or that they have to take many pills or shots for. Keep your head up we have been dealing with alopecia totalis for 3 years. For your daughter if you can do ponytails, not too tight, or have it covered she will be ok. dont let her know that it upsets you because then she will get upset too. If she has problems at school talk to the teacher explain it so she can be aware. My son wears a ballcap to school to protect his head. You and your daughter will be just fine. Angela
Hi Angela,
Thank you for your advice. I make every attempt to not let her know that it bothers me. She seems to be adjusting fine, it's just me who's the one with issues (lol). You're right, we'll be fine, everyone here will be.
Hi Kayreyn,
We all need time to grieve-don't let anyone tell you different. But then, you pick yourself up and get involved! Do what it takes to take some control back. For me, it was educating my daughter's classes, letting people ask questions(though somedays it was really hard) and asking her how she wanted things handled. In your case, your child is 4 and it is harder to communicate but not impossible. I am new to this web site but I am encouraged by the positive messages. That has really helped. So surround yourself with love and good things. That will help you to feel better. Find other people to be around who have alopecia. And keep writing. Good luck-Nancy
My youngest son was diagnosed with alopecia areata when he was almost three. He is now 6 and started kindergarten this year. When I first noticed a small round balled spot on his head I brought him to his pediatrician who then sent us to a dermatologist. The dermatologist prescribed anthralin which is a cream used to cause an allergic reaction, another cream that is also used for that purpose, these were to be applied once a day and he also prescribed steroid shots once a month. Because my sons hair was falling out quickly, by the time he started the shots he had developed a few more spots and had to have 17 shots at each visit. We did the creams and shots for 3 months and his hair did grow back but we decided to discontinue the treatments for two reasons, the creams caused sores and bleeding cracks in his scalp and the shots were to painful. His hair began to fall out again within months of stopping the treatments, this time he was loosing hair from more areas, most notably from the sides above his ears and from the back of his head. We let it go for awhile to see if the alopecia reversed which it didn't so we began to shave his head. Not long after he turned four we noticed that he had some areas that were growing hair so we stopped shaving his head and his hair grew back almost fully except for the area over his ears and the area on the back of his head at the base of his head. Because my son was going to be starting school this year we decided that we would try and find a dermatologist that has experience with children and alopecia. I was very lucky to find my sons dermatologist at Tufts Floating Hospital for Children in Boston,Ma, he sees Daniel S. Loo, MD Dermatologist. My son has been going to him for 6 months and now has most of his hair back, even the hair above his ears and on the base of his head is now coming back. My son has shots once a month. We were given a cream to apply to his head an hour before he has the shots and he doesn't feel a thing. Last month we were also given a topical steroid to apply twice a week for maintenance. I have to say that we asked his first dermatologist if his head could be numbed before the shots and he said no. The dermatologist that he see's now didn't offer the cream but again I asked if there was a way to numb his skin and he said yes. I knew there was a cream available because it was used for my other children when they were having IV'S to numb the skin. I have done alot of my own research on alopecia, especially in young children and what I have found is that it is an autoimmune condition that no one really knows to much about as far as predicting any one persons prognosis. Some say that the earlier a child gets alopecia the more likely that child is eventually going to loose all of their hair permanently and some say that age at onset is not a factor in long term prognosis. Alopecia is a mystery that has very few clues. I am happy that I chose to seek treatment from a new dermatologist and feel that any parent that has a child with alopecia and decides to use the treatments available should try to gather as much information as they can and don't let any dermatologist or doctor tell you that your childs skin can not be numbed before the injections. Some day my sons treatments may not work or may have to be stopped for what ever reason but for now he is doing great. One last thing my son was as happy without his hair as he is with his hair. The only reason why we chose to seek treatment again is because he was starting school this year and I wanted to give him the chance to start school without other children saying things to him about his hair lose.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service