I recently have been having problems with my teenage daughter... Amongst other things she seems to be embarrased of being seen with me in public with the alopecia totallis and no wig. Today it has gotten to be a little too much for me to handle. Mabe today is just one of my emotional days and need to hear from all of you on how to handle this situation. What do you do when the person that means the most to you in life is embarrased to be seen with you? ~ Heartbroken and crying please help~
Kimberly

Views: 8

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kimberly

Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. (((((hug)))))

My daughters are both coming up to that difficult age.

I think its inevitable that there will be a time when your kids go through that stage. Just remember, that most kids are embarrassed of their parents for some reason or another during their teenage years.
If it wasn't your lack of a wig there would probably be something else.

You will both get through this, and probably be stronger as a result.

Best wishes
Starr
xxx
Oh boy, I'm so sorry that you are going thru this phase with your daughter. Hopefully that phase will quickly pass you by. I think you should explain to your daughter how it makes you feel when she expresses her concerns about your non-wig days. Try talking to a minister at your church/local church. God always makes a difference in our lives!
Peace and Blessings!
I remember when I was a teenager I was always a little embarrassed of my mom..and I was the one with alopecia. Try talking to her...explain that there is nothing to be embarrassed about and how her behaviour hurts you.
Sending tons of thoughts your way! I'm on the flip side of that, in a way. I'm not a teen anymore, but I still live at home. Both my mom AND my younger sister seem to be uncomfortable being seen in public with me when I'm not wearing a wig. I'll be wearing a scarf or whatever, I'm not gutsy enough to go into public "topless" yet, but UGH!

Know that this is a phase... I was a teenager not too long ago, and if it's not the AT, it would be something else. Maybe this will help her gain compassion for others as she gets older?

Lots of good vibes coming your way!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service