I was just wondering if anyone else was diagnosed with alopecia after having mono? To this day mom my swears that my immune system was "fine" until I had mono when I was 18. I did not have any signs of alopecia until I was 19, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? Could mono have impact or trigger alopecia? Just thought I would throw this out there for discussion and to see if any other alopecians had mono before being diagnosed with alopecia!

Views: 1680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had mono when I was 16 turning 17 and developed alopecia a little over a year later.
Interesting.
Hey there what is a mono??? I'm really curious, I mean I think I know what it is but before I carry on, I'd like to know the definition. Seems childish but I would like to know...hmmmm
Could be linked...you never know...I had rhuematic (sp?) fever and I swear it caused alopecia. There is definatly a link between alopecia and other diseases....especially immune disorders.
Mononucleosis is an infection viral disease that affects mostly adolescents and young adults.
Once you have it, it stays in your blood so you can't catch it again (much like chicken pox).
It can make you very sick for quite a while.
Mine lasted nearly 4 months. I also had two relapses, but this is an example of a very severe case.
It gives you a fever, fatigue, sore throat, nausea, and other similar symptoms. People with mono are advised not to exercise strenuously because it can cause an enlarged spleen that can be easily ruptured.
Fatigue is normally experienced even after recovering from the virus.

Basically, it takes a lot out of your immune system and leaves you exposed to other illnesses. After I had mono, I experience recurring sinus infections. I eventually had to have surgery to help prevent this.

You can read more on this subject here.
Same.
I'm just interested in preventing it from happening to other people and supporting those that do have it.
I agree...but you do not beleive that there is a common link between all alopecians? I read somewhere about a hairless gene that we have. I used to spend a lot of time researching...but now I have pretty much moved on. However, I beleive there is a reason, and a cure, but no one has figured that out yet.
yep! Rheumatic fever...also immune condition...right before AA started
Yes, genetics definitely do play an important role in Alopecia.
I am the only one in my family with Alopecia, but allergies and autoimmune disorders run strong in my blood. Heh.
My sister and I both have eczema (mine is more severe) and my mother has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.
From what I can gather, there is usually a genetic predisposition and a trigger. Mono could be a trigger.
I also believe that genetics play an important role in alopecia. I have a very large family and like you, noone else in my family has alopecia. However, diabetes, thyroid disease, eczema and a couple of other automimmune disorders are found in my family. I just always wondered if my mono had anything to do with it. I have pretty much accepted the fact that I have alopecia and it isn't going anywhere (I miss ponytails and tucking my hair behind my ears). But there will always be a part of me that wants a reason, a cure, and a full head of hair. :)
aw....you can get a vacuum wig and you can wear high ponytails and hair behind your ears ; )
The causes, prognosis, and duration are unknown. Do you think it's a coincidence that we have all had this illness and have developed alopecia?
It could lead to learning a cause. It could be completely unrelated, but we don't know that.
The cause is unknown. That doesn't mean there is no cause.
Dom, I understand where you are coming from, but its an autoimmune condition. It's obvious. It's printed everywhere! "Disease of unknown orgin?" So, just developed out of THIN AIR?!! rediculous. Theres a link...there has to be.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service