Has anyone out there been told that their low Ferritin levels could be a contributor to hair loss?

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had Alopecia Areata for three months now and when I went to the doctor to have it checked, she said that my iron levels are really low and that it might be contributing to the hairloss. I've been taking iron supplements since. The hairfall has somewhat abated since then but I can't tell if it's because of the iron supplements or if it's because I cut my hair short. No regrowth in my patch, though, and I've noticed the patch spreading just a teeny tiny bit.
Hi Yen,

Keep taking the iron it can't help. Mine only went up 15 points in 4 months. It is at 45 and the doc wants it at a 100. I cut my hair a bit too and it feels better but I have new spots and it just keeps cropping up in different places. I do have hair growth in some of the big ones so I am excited.

Edie
I meant it can't hurt to take the iron. lolol.

Edie
There are studies that show a strong association with ferritin levels <70. Mine was at 44 (considered w/ in the "normal" range but on the lower end of the spectrum), then 55 2 months later,, and I will have it rechecked in about a month. I have also been taking supplements and trying to eat more foods with iron. It takes a long time for iron levels to change.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service