Okay I felt that this discussion was much needed. I'm looking through various blogs and discussions to find wig info...thought it would be helpful to start a discussion that could help keep it all in one place.

I know NOTHING about wigs! And I think it's time to start looking. I hear things like...lace, vaccuum, monofilament...I don't know what these things mean! Can someone please help with sort of a Wigs 101 intro to different terminologies like these?

Also, let's all list good websites to go to, brand recommendations (with links), etc!

This will be sooo helpful to me, and I'm sure to many others. Thanks for helping!

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi JL,
Wow, that is terrific advice about getting the frizz out of synthetic wigs. I knew it could be done because my wig stylist does it all the time for people, but I didn't realize that we mortals could actually do it ourselves!
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try it!
LeslieAnn
I was just mooching through the messages and spotted this one about getting frizz out of the wigs. As you know leslieann I run a wig donation site and recondition them. I get many with frizz. By accident I used my grandchildrens detangle spray from avon... It worked brill...and smells lush..Not sure if you have avon over there!
Thanks,
Julie.
http://wigsinwalesuk.webs.com/
Hi Mandy,

I also have alopecia and I had a hard time finding a good company that sold wigs, I got ripped off by many hair clubs so I decided to start my own company offering low cost wigs that look and feel like your own hair. The wigs that I offer are designed to be worn for weeks at a time without taking off and you can swim, walk in the wind or rain and not worry about it flying off. If you would like more information please call me at 1-321-256-0008 Toll free 888-332-7407 or visit my website www.realistichair.com I can also inform you on how you may qualify for a free custom made wig.
Jennifer
I think lace wigs look amazing, the only down side is the glue or tape. You can wear them in the water but they just aren't as secure as a vacuum. I think vacuum is the best option if you want to really not worry about it coming off, they too look fab as well.
I agree but for those that cannot afford vacuum wigs the lace will look fantastic for a fraction of the cost. The government and many insurance companies do not offer help for wigs in the USA and if they do they only cover a small portion of the cost. I think in your country the government helps with the cost.
good point. The govt help a little bit here, but only every 9 years. Thats how long they think a wig lasts! silly.
That is ridiculous if they think a wig that is worn daily will last for 9 years.
I know, while its great they help a little bit they are un realistic! I would like to make a change to that rule.
Thanks to everyone that has posted so far - this info is really great. I'm especially interested in wigs that aren't vacuum because realistically, I don't think I'll be able to pay for one like that.
Wow, really? I would just like to keep it as low as possible but still not looking like a wig. What wigs do you have?
Way cute!!
Hi Mandy,

I've tried all kind of wigs except the vacuum (I don't think I'd be able to stand the heat, I live in So Cal). In my experience, human hair is the way to go, I had a synthetic wig and couldn't use it for more than 2 weeks, yeah, they're cheaper but they don't look as good as human hair (maybe when they're new they do) and most importantly, they don't feel good, my shoulders and neck were itchy all the time. I've had monotop human hair wigs and they look good, it's nice to be able to part them anywhere you want, but I hated dealing with not-so natural hairline and with straps on the back of my neck. By the way, a hand made cap is important if you're bald, I had a skin top that felt good; the machine made wefted caps are rough on skin and if it's windy, it's easy to see a bald head thru them. Also, the ear tabs on most wigs are not very comfortable. That is why I decide to buy a full lace wig, it looks great and it feels soooo good. I can run my fingers thru my hair and I love not to feel any strap or rough edges, I can also wear my sunglasses and don't get a headache now ( again, the ear tabs in other wigs it's something I can't stand), I can even put my hair up on a ponytail. The only not so great thing about wearing lace wigs is dealing with glue or tape( it's time consuming). I don't use glue, I use tape,because I heard glue is messy and because I don't wanna keep my wig on for days or weeks, I remove it every night. Anyways, that's my experience but what works for some people don't work for other so I think you'll have to experiment a little until you find a wig that suits you, I would recommend to go to a wig store and try different styles on and then look for them online( you can always find better prices online). I've attached some pics so that you can look at the hairline. Hope this helps :-)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service