Okay I felt that this discussion was much needed. I'm looking through various blogs and discussions to find wig info...thought it would be helpful to start a discussion that could help keep it all in one place.

I know NOTHING about wigs! And I think it's time to start looking. I hear things like...lace, vaccuum, monofilament...I don't know what these things mean! Can someone please help with sort of a Wigs 101 intro to different terminologies like these?

Also, let's all list good websites to go to, brand recommendations (with links), etc!

This will be sooo helpful to me, and I'm sure to many others. Thanks for helping!

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got tired of people calling me "sir" when I went without a headcovering. Makeup, clothing, jewelry didn't seem to matter - all that some people saw was the thin, balding top of my head. Of course there were times this summer when I said to heck with it & took my hat off while shopping if I got too hot, but as far as work is concerned, I always were some type of headcover and at least start off with one for most errands.
Hi Mary

You know for men dealing with alopecia it really isn't easier, to be out in the world without your eyebrows, beard hair, eyelashes etc. They don't always have the option of wearing make-up (sadly for them it just isn't always as acceptable as make-up is for us ladies). I understand that they can walk down the street and people won't really give them a second glance, but that would usually be those who have shaved of what is left after male pattern thinning. Two different conditions which cause two different mind sets in this world and two different mind sets for those dealing with each of the conditions.

Wigs - oh dear now there is the question. Synthetics, human hair, vacuum, those that have vacuum like qualities. There are many decisions and choices with hair and you have to learn to trust your knowledge and the person you are talking to about this.

I know a heap (of course) about freedom vacuum wigs. My daughter has worn them for six years and we have found them great.

My personal view is if you want to wear a wig you have to first work out what your personal needs are then find a product that meets those needs. If you want the product to take away the fact that you have alopecia - well it's not going to happen. But if you want a product that helps you present yourself how you feel comfortable there are a few choices to make.

My wishlist for my daughter was security, comfort, beautiful healthy hair that looks as if it's hers, durability and service. The wig we picked ticked all these boxes.

Other people will have other choices that maybe more important.

Boogie loves her wigs and they look fab.
It's an individual choice that should be made after investigation and discussion with those that wear the product and can tell you honestly the pro's and con's.

Rosy
Thanks, Rosy. Of course, you're right about male alopecians. I've thought about the fact that they can't get away as easily as women in our culture can with eye makeup to disguise the lack of brows and lashes, and I've thought about the patchy beard problem. I guess when I made my comment I was thinking mainly about all the guys who have pattern baldness and choose to shave their scalps bald.

I'm very happy that the wigs are working well for your daughter. I feel fortunate that I didn't lose my hair until I was 54, and I've often thought about how difficult it would have been for me to experience the loss at a younger age.

I put my wig on this morning to go do some volunteer home visiting, and before I even left the house, I could feel the sweat on my scalp under it. I changed into a lightweight scarf, and felt much more comfortable. Maybe in time I'll get used to wigs - I really wish I could.

Mary
Hi Mandy,

Wigs are basically made with two types of fibers, human and synthetic. Caution: all human hair is real but not all real hair is human! There are many grades of synthetic fiber and the best ones are very life like. Some wigs are made with both human and synthetic fibers and are called "blends". Human hair wigs require daily maintenance like our own hair does while synthetics are much easier to care for.

Wigs are made by hand, (also called hand-tied), and by machine. Some wigs are constructed using both. Hand made wigs are a little bit lighter and a bit more life like. When constructed, the fibers are ventilated into a fine mesh cap. Machine-made wigs have the fibers sewn into "wefts" and then sewn into a cap. A monofilament top is a piece of matierial that is sewn into the cap and that top comes into contact with the wearer's scalp. Basically, it's a comfort feature.

Lace fronts are needed for wigs that do not have bangs. A very, very fine lace extends from the base and is covered with makeup. Tyra Banks is always the example we use.

Some tips on caring for your wig - #1 rule is always keep your wig away from extreme heat such as curling irons, ovens, grills and hot water. Always clean your wig with cold water and mild shampoo.

Hope this helps.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service