I have experienced some nightmare situations whilst being bald and dating, how have your experiences been ? Do you find it harder dating without your hair or have people treated you the same ?
I would love to know what other peoples situations/experiences have been like .

Views: 1028

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata at 8 yrs old and then developed AU by the time I was 9.
I'm about to turn 36 years old. I have had Alopecia Universalis for over 27 years.

I was basically tortured by the children in school and grew up scared to death to tell anyone about my Alopecia. I don't remember most of middle school. I eventually made it to High School and went to a very good school that was Louisiana State University High School. At that time I was able to catch up and adjust to people treating me almost normal. I still kept my Alopecia a secret until I went to college at Tulane in New Orleans. At that time decided I wanted freedom from the fear of others judgement more than anything else. Slowly over the next few years, I forced myself to open up to others about my Alopecia. I was determined not to be ashamed, fearful, tortured, or insecure about my hairloss. It is still a constant process today.
I find that the more open, honest, and educating I am about it the better the reaction will be. I am still scared to tell people because I fear I won't be accepted or I'll be considered damaged goods. In dating or employment situations it seems the most agonizing to know when to say what. What I have found is, that if I am confident and secure in revealing my Alopeica then the other person will also be. When I'm scarred or insecure then they will adopt more of that into their feelings about me and my Alopecia.

I've had dates that turned into ***holes after I told them. I've also had dates that told me they don't care; they were dating me because they liked me not my wig/hair.
You will go through some bumps in the road in dating if you have any form of Alopecia. Even people w/ full heads of hair have dating troubles. I just hope to find the right person one day who can look beyond the surface and find the beauty in me. I'd want to find that person whether I have hair or not.

My basic belief is that God has always sculpted me to be who he needs me to be. I may not know what his plan is but I do know he has one for me. He puts what we must have; hurdles, hardships, disabilities, pain, loss, fear, joy, love, extacy, freedom,& friendship.....; in our path to create the person within us that he needs us to be for his plan.

I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't lost my hair 27 years ago. I am a person with Alopecia Universalis, but I am Crystal first. My Alopecia defines me in some ways but it is not all of me. If someone I go out on a date with doesn't like the idea of my Alopecia, then he doesn't need to take me out for a 2nd date. I just move on and say, "next!"

I'm still fearful in social situations, and worry what members of the opposite sex will think. I now find more and more that if I concentrate on people that I have good chemistry and good conversation with then it will lead to a more rewarding positive dating experience. A good plus is that I like guys who are down to earth and not into high maintaince lifestyles. If someone is too wrapped up in his own looks, his car, how others percieve him, or how good you show next to him,.......then time to drop him for someone who's full attention is on you and how you two are relating to each other.

that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Crystal

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service