Hey everyone,
I am Lisa, 37 years old, married, mom of 2 kiddos. My problem or question is this. I just graduated last May with my degree in elementary education. I am currently subbing and looking for a job, possibly in North Carolina. I am wondering if anyone here is a teacher? I am worried about not getting hired based on my looks and my odd hair-do. I have not shaved my remaining hair yet...still hanging on. But I am not sure I want to wear a wig either. So, how should I deal with this? Schools are constantly preaching about teaching tolerance. Would a school not hire me because of my hair or because I might be bald? If I don't wear a wig when I shave someday, I would wear scarfs and such. But it scares me that all of my hard work is going to be looked over because of my hair. Any opinions?

Views: 770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Laura,
Thanks so much. Your comments mean so much to me. I think it is something that I am going to bring up in an interview only because when you look at me you can tell there is something strange going on there. I still have hair but it is a funky type of hair-do. I love your idea of making myself an asset because I can teach tolerance and self-esteem. I am usually so good at acing interviews but I have never had one when I had alopecia. I will go into the interview just as confident as I always do and show them what I have to offer and that it isn't about my hair, it does not define me at all.
Thanks Laura,
Lisa
I'm holding the vision for you of the perfect job in a setting that allows you to be of service and contribution in many different ways!
Keep Shining!
Laura
...thank you for being a teacher! It is such an important job ;-)
Hi Lisa,
I've been teaching for 8 years at the high school level in Metro Atlanta. I was hired after developing AU and didn't have any problems with the interviews, staff, kids, etc. I can't speak for everyone or everyone's situation, but I can tell you that I was nervous about my interviews. After being hired, I realized that they hired me for who I am, not how I looked. Believe me, we need more teachers, and some of the people I work with....WOW! If they were hiring based on appearance, we would be short staffed!

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy,
I am nervous going into these interviews but it makes me feel better hearing all the words of encouragement from you and the other teachers on this site who have first hand knowledge. Keep your fingers crossed for me!! :)
Lisa
Lisa,

First let me congratulate you on graduating from school. Married, 2 kids...must have been tough to handle all the responsibilities that go with family and school. You had the strength and courage to get through all of that. That's quite an accomplishment. The world needs teachers...good teachers. You've already proved to yourself that you have what it takes...passion, commitment, drive. Believe in yourself and the rest will follow. The difference you'll make in a person's life is worth everything it takes.

I am a teacher. Don't worry, there is no school that is judging anyone based on their look. I think that academized review here will help you to understand it. Your education and experience is what qualifies you to be a teacher and I'm sure that you're going to be a great one!

Hello there! Guys I want to share with you quite important information, which will be useful for everyone and especially for some guys who now are in the search of work because it is quite important for such people to write a good resume, and now they can easily cope with that task just only using the help of college student resume

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service