Quoting the TV Guide for Shear Genius for July 23: "Styling of hair of surfers and prematurely balding women."

For those of you who aren't familiar with the show, it's a reality show like Top Chef, or Project Runway, only with hairdressers. It airs at 10pm on Bravo TV, and multiple times the week after that.

I recommend watching it.

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ohhhh I will have to watch that....That is Wednesday right?
It is Wednesday night. According to my TIVO and also online, they will be repeating the same show (the episode title is "It looks like a helmut") on the following days/times:

July 24 2am, 2pm, 7pm
July 25 12pm
July 26 6 pm
July 28 3 am

Probably more showings after this, too.
I'm watching it now...OMG Mary is that you on the show??? I'm watching the show and this woman named Mary walks out and I'm like...I know her...I know her... If that's not you, then she looks exactly like you!
It's me - with my original eyebrows that are now gone and replaced by nice tatoos. My own hair was brown, so this wig was a bit of a departure.
oh my gosh..that WAS you!!! i loved the show!! very emotional actually. thanks so much for telling us about it! =)
LOL cool! Was it tons of fun being on the show?
It was a very long day of filming, and it was interesting to see how a show is done from behind the scenes. The best thing was being around 7 other bald women for 12 hours! I wish there were more bald women out there in public.
i couldnt agree more....i wish there were more bald women out there too. maybe you can tell me if it was the producers or the editors, but are the hairstylists that um...ignorant? i am a bald hairstylist. i got into doing hair cause i didnt have any and i wanted to play with hair, and help other women with hairloss make sense of what they had left... i dont know, i got the sense that the producers really pushed the tragedy side of woman and hair loss, i wish that there had been more emphasis on the fact that we dont NEED hair to be beautiful. the contestants kept thinking they were giving these women a "chance to feel beautiful". i dont know, obviously it triggered something in me, im not sure how i feel about it, and on tv there is always this tragedy and lets fix them with big giant wigs thing. id love to hear your thoughts on the show some more....YOU were AMAZING!!!! thank you for doing it! xxoo emily
Thanks for your great comments! We have to remember that this is a show about hairdressing, so for them, it's all about how hair styles can make women more beautiful. It's the life work of these contestants, so they're bound to feel that way. But, the emotion you saw on the part of the stylists appeared to be genuine, and the other bald women on the show were wonderful and inspiring! Though everything from the long shoot obviously couldn't make it in the final program, I'm happy with how the producers portrayed us, and with the information they did include about alopecia.
that is comforting! im happy to hear that the contestants are authentic. you never know with tv! i guess if i were walking in to a salon with my wig on and having a stylist cut the hair and i said she/he could do whatever they wanted...it would be the best thing in the world to hear them say something like " you look amazing without the wig!" you dont need the wig! so i guess i was hopeing someone would represent that side of our condition. either way, im glad there is representation on tv for our condition.

how did you get chosen for the show?
An email went out from the producers to our local AA support group that the were looking for women who are bald from alopecia, and I applied.
I think this was just a bunch of stylists competing in a challenge. The point of the challenge they were given was to make these women look beautiful IN a wig. So that's where the focus was on the show.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service