I've been bald for 5 months now, and as the weather has warmed, I've grown increasingly reluctant to wear anything on my head unless I'm in air conditioning or the weather is cool. In the past few days, I've had many firsts: first time bald at the public library, a big shopping mall, supermarket, health club, etc..... I wear a hat for sun protection until I get inside or into shade, then off it comes. I carry a knit cap or scarf in my purse in case the store is super cold. I teach a weekly dance class bald - even a scarf was too hot for me while exercising.

It's so much more comfortable, and the reactions from people have been no problem. I hold my head up and smile at them. Sometimes I'm asked if I have cancer, but I'm getting used to that. More often people just smile, or don't seem to notice (except the children). It was hard at first, but it seems that every time I do it, it feels more natural, more "me".

As I'm getting used to life with AU, I'm wearing a wig or scarf only when it's cool enough and I want to dress up or go to an indoor event. I'm wondering whether I'm weird to feel this way. I have yet to see another bald women "out there", (except for the wonderful Bald Girls Do Lunch I went to in January, just before I shaved my head) and wish I did see some. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this topic? What do you do?

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats great for all of you guys.. I wish I to could be as comfortable.. but where I come from and I what I do, women without hair just isnt acceptable. I wish that someone would come with a cure or something.. Does anyone have kids who also got AU? I pray this doesnt happen to my son.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service