Common Reactions to Alopecia AreataPeople who have alopecia areata and their family members often experience a variety of feelings and frustrations. Reactions to the disease include the following:

Alone, withdrawn, and isolated
Loss and grief
Fear that others may find out you have the diseasse
Fear that others may find out that you wear a wig
Sadness and depression
Hopelessness
Anger
Embarrassment
Guilt or self-blame that you somehow brought the disease on yourself
Guilt related to how the disease is affecting family members and loved ones
Frantic in regard to searching for an answer or cure (going to extremes)
For parents, guilt that they may have genetically contributed to their child’s disease
For parents, helplessness that they cannot stop the disease or help ease their child’s pain
For siblings and other family members, shame and anger because the disease has also affected their lives
http://www.naaf.org/psychologicaleffects.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have experienced all of these as some point and time since I developed Alopecia.

What about you?

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

Cause I'm a mum I will only answer the two parents reactions you have down here and what stopped the reaction to help me be proactive.
For parents, guilt that they may have genetically contributed to their child’s disease
This did cross my mind, then I really thought about it - I wondered who gave those genes to me so they passed on to my daughter and then who gave them to my mum or dad or my husbands mum and dad, so on and so on . I suppose you could go back for an eternity playing the blame game - so I don't play it. I became more interested in finding solutions than blaming myself or anyone else.

For parents, helplessness that they cannot stop the disease or help ease their child’s pain
I felt this very strongly at the beginning of this journey. But very seldom any longer. Talking to my daughter and discussing her needs eased and continues to ease this pain. I have come to the conclusion that she has AU - and she is actually fine with it. We would both prefer that this didn't happen to her but it has and we move on. (I know that sounds simplistic but with constant communication on needs and wants this can be dealt with positively). My daughter is doing well with her life. She is an independent wonderful young woman (I may be biased though).

Thanks for the discussion thread - I think it's a good one.

Rosy

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service