My child has alopecia universalis. She has had it for 3 years now. However, just recently started showing signs of depression/anxiety. She is 12. Any advice you could give me would greatly be appreciated

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much Bogie. I really appreciate it so much. I will take all of this into consideration. I look forward to hearing from you again.
Hi Bogie thankyou so much for all the awesome advice you have shared in this post. Our daughter is also 12 and although she seems to cope fine with her AU isn't very outgoing preferring to be quite the home body. You have shared some wonderful ideas. Thanks again Sharon
Hi

Bogie

That is fantastic advise and I'm sure it will help.

My daughter lost her hair at 12 years old. So I understand the anxiety/depresion it can cause. Just like Bogie says it is very important to make sure she feels safe. Depression/Anxiety are serious issues and I think it always advisable to get medical advise if it is becoming overwhelming.
With my daughter I found that her activities have always been a big part of how she gets on with life. She is a singer, pianist and a very good academic student (brainiac LOL I like that). Anyway, these activities really have helped her become confident in herself. She has travelled the world and throughout New Zealand performing with her school choir. At first I was a little concerned about this but she blossomed with the support and care her choir gave her. She learnt to deal with things on her own terms in the safety of those that care about her.

The other thing that helped her was having the ability to present herself how she saw herself - in our case we found a very good hairpiece. A wig may not be what your daughter wants to wear but it is important that they feel a little in control of how they present themselves to their peers. This was an important part of the equation for us to help our daughter move on. Be proactive in searching for things to help.

Hope that helps a little

Take care

Rosy
I have AU and i was 12 only 5 years ago...

12 was a rough age for me actually...the thing that helps me the most is having a really good vacuum wig and wearing make-up. For a long time i refused to wear make-up but once i got used to it it made a world of difference in my confidence levels. I also partially re-grew my eyebrows with this stuff called revitalash and have been filling the rest in with pencil. There is definitely a lot of depression and anxiety with alopecia and i dont think you can avoid it but you can be there with her to get through it because it will get better. I also started seeing a therapist which might help your daughter

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service