My son has AA and was diagnosied when he was 10. He is now 13 and I would like to hear how other boys deal with their hair loss.
I find it interesting that some people think that it is not so big of a deal when boys have AA,or it seems like it. He can't wear fake eyelashes or pencil his eyebrows,and wigs,well they don't make many for boys. Venting I am sorry but it is really tough right now!!

Views: 1500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son is 11 years old and has had aa since he was 8. Up until 3 months ago he had a few bald spots that we would treat with betamethadone, anthralin or rogaine (at different times). He recently lost all of his hair (he has a few wispy patches) and most of his eyebrows and eyelashes. It has been most devastating to me. He does not want to talk about it much and tries to ignore it but I know it bothers him. We don't know anyone else with aa and we moved into the area at the beginning of the school year so he is still trying to fit in and make friends. He is now being treated with DCPC but the dermatologist told us that if it works, it could take 6 months to a year. He doesn't wear a hat at school. I know how tough it is for you. I worry all the time about how he has to deal with this. There is no hiding it and my heart breaks for him. Sometimes it is good to vent. I completely understand your frustrations and anguish. You are NOT alone.
Hi,

Logan went to spend the night at a old school frinds house last night,I was so worried that his hat would fall off or someone would make fun of him. He didn't call so things must be good. We are trying to get him to shave the rest of his hair. I wish that he did not feel the need to wear his hat all the time,I am working on it,since it is getting hot out. His 10 year old brother said he would shave his head too.
I think I wrote earlier that we tried all the meds,and found that some would grow back but more would fall out.Logan decided to stop treatments. It is a beautiful day here.! Do you have a facebook?
Let me know and I hope things are going ok.

Vicki
ı ve 8 years old son with alopecia and ı wondered what is DCPC ? Thanks
Hi,

I think it is a lotion. We tryed it with Logan it worked for a while and then stopped.

Vicki
How are you doing? Logan has worn his hat all summer. Has just a few strands left,I suggested shaving them but he said no. I think I told you that he decided to stop all treatment. He said the pain of the shots were not worth it.
He is doing well with his friends and I am going to find someone to make the hat he likes.in different colors.

Vicki
I know how you are feeling my son chad lost his hair a year ago, and with in the last few months his eyelashes and eye brows have fallen out, and im right there with you sayen what do i do, what can i say to him. he dont no any one his age with alopecia. i would like to talk to another parent whos child has Alopecia
Hi

I feel alopecia is very difficult for everyone dealing with it, but for young boys and young men I think it has to be devastating. You are right the alternatives for boys are just more difficult. Socially it is not as acceptable for boys to wear make-up of any kind, so they face the world forever changed, with seemingly less alternatives.

There are some really lovely men on this site that deal with their alopecia in a very positive and upfront way. I think it would be helpful to contact them. Jeffreysf, Jeremy, Joshua are a few that spring to mind, but there are many others. I think all will be able to shed some light on what may help.

My daughter lost her hair at 12 she is now 18, so I understand the worry and the pain you may be feeling as mothers. If I can help in any way with some of the initiatives I took I'm happy to do so. Just pop into my page and leave a message.

Take care

Rosy
I have a son who is 10 and he has AT. And I completely understand that it can be just as hard on a boy as it is a girl. And not to forget the MOMS/DADS. And for a boy there are a lot less options they just have to suffer with a ball cap, or bandana or nothing at all. But either way this is painful for any child and parent.
How are things going with your son Victoria?
My son is 13. He has had AA since he was 6. He has just developed AT and looks like it is progressing to AU. When he first got it he didn't cope very well and it took us about 9 months to build up his self esteem. He is very sensitive, though i think alot of boys are.
Now at 13 in his first year of high school and with AT he is not coping very well. He is the only child in his school (in our town) who has Alopecia.
Any child, be they girl or boy at that age would find it very hard to cope. You are right that there aren't many options for boys to feel better about themselves.
Jon seems to be angry that he had to get Alopecia. I feel very angry at the moment myself that there is really nothing you can do for your child except try and build them up.
I am 11 and i have Alopecia Totalis.  If your son wants he can join and i would be happy to talk to him.  Also, I know a place where kids can get free wigs.  Send me a message if you want to now where.
Hi Victoria, I noticed this is an older post, but I was curious to see how your son is doing, my son Ryan is 14 and lost almost all his hair this last year, we went to the Hair Club for men and it has been a true blessing, he loves it, the best part is that he can swim, play sports and wash it every day, it last about 4 months and then he gets a replacement, his confidence is coming back and self esteem.
If you have any questions, please let me know and hope your son is doing better.
Cathy Bay
What type of wig did you purchase at Hair club for your son that he can swim in , my son is 13 we are looking for something for him but are not sure what kind and the cost is about $1500-$5000.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service