My doctor has noted a connection between alopecia and auto-immune thyroiditis. I got tested and sure enough I have it. He suggests an auto-immune diet............basically no gluten, no dairy.......etc, etc. I'm a foodie and so before I make my life miserable by going this route, I was wondering if anyone else has attempted to eat this way to hopefully achieve hair regrowth....and with what results. Personally, I have my doubts, but I thought I'd put it out there anyway.
Thanks for your help. Sue

Views: 3758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read the "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell. Very, very interesting - and includes auto-immune disease observations. We eat waaay too much protein in the US. We are developing autoimmunities because of this. Wondering if anyone has tried not meat/dairy also.

I've tried no meat/dairy and my hair fell out more. I'm AU now and stayed vegan for 6 months to no avail. I eat meat and dairy again.

How are your iron levels?
I tend to be on the anemic side, but since I started taking daily iron supplements, my hair has grown (almost all) back after being AU for years.

Wow that is amazing! :) According to blood results my iron levels are normal but I think they are on the low side of normal. (My mother is anemic so I wouldn't be surprised). I have been on Iron on and off but I have started to be on it consistently recently and I do have some fuzzy patches I have never had :) Hopefully they are related. What dose do you take?

I've been taking 70mg twice a day for a few years now. I did try using half as much for a short while but my hair started to fall out, so no more cutting down the dosage. It seems to work for me. I wonder, maybe alopecians need higher iron than 'normal' people? Maybe we lose it or don't process it or something, has there been any research about that aspect?
I have developed allergies to an ever increasing list of things and foods. Some are just weird. I miss strawberries.
I took my son off dairy back in December. He's got some blonde hair growing back in but he caught pneumonia last week and had to go on antibiotics and a few days ago I noticed his eyebrow is starting to thin....

We had allergy testing done at Quest Diagnostics and his tests came back with NO allergies - nothing at all!!

So I don't know if going off the dairy is really helping or not. I'm keeping him off it for a while just to see what happens.

Im curious if anyone else has been tested and got a "no allergy" result?

Thanks

Mom to a 17month old with AA that started in August and is now AT :(
I was on a gluten free diet for 10 years, ended up with malnutrition and had to be supervised back onto more grains. I still cant eat wheat (due to joint pain) but I can eat rye and a certain amount of oats.

Im also on a virtual diary free diet (I only have bio yoghurt).

These diets havent made an ounce of difference to my hair, infact Iv got worse hair loss now then when I ate everything in sight and was 5 stone overweight.

I've tried to get my daughter and myself on the gluten free diet for the last couple of years and meeting heavy resistance from the family because they're constantly craving their favorite breads and grains in various forms. My daughter did see results but the diet was difficult and we relapsed (on our diet) several times, but we've been fairly consistent lately on Dr.Terry Wahl's protocol. Although Dr. Wahl's diet targets her MS, she believes the protocol will reverse symptoms in other auto immune diseases. We've been on this protocol for 4 months now, but I can't confirm if this diet would work for A.A. because my daughter has been making progress and steadily seeing regrowth before we started this protocol. I can tell you we both feel a lot better, less brain fog and more energy throughout the day. My sister has lupus, and she's been on the diet for a month (I talked her into it), she definitely feels better, more energetic, but well see what course the lupus takes.

This is for anyone who is looking to buy light weight very breathable and comfortable 100% human hair full lace wigs. you can  visit this online wig store on Etsy they sell great wigs.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/BERRYLACEWIGS?section_id=all. take care everyone

Hello Dear friends, I hope Have a nice day, please me guide, I 15 years with alopecia Universal' m, I treatment disappointed, I types of treatments did the I am tired,, a few years is no treatment will not.
Hello Dear friends, I hope Have a nice day, please me guide, I 15 years with alopecia Universal' m, I treatment disappointed, I types of treatments did the I am tired,, a few years is no treatment will not.

I am gluten, soy, dairy free because of my young son's food allergies and eosinophilic disorder. I have always eaten a whole food, unprocessed diet my entire adult life. I have discovered avoiding wheat etc has dramatically improved my arthritis pain, GI issues and even menstrual cycle. But, no hair regrowth.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service