Hi all.

I just wanted to let you know my experience taking Berberine which is a herbal supplement which people believe and reports shown that it may be a JAK inhibitor. I noticed people where buying it a few months ago but I haven't seen any posts about it yet. I bought the supplement start of September I bought Glycox 500 with Berberine from Amazon, it seemed to be what others where buying, they are 500mg Berberine per capsule. I have moderate AA probably 25% hairloss and I was diagnosed with AA in May. With my first bottle of capsules I was taking two a day, Since taking the supplement I have seen some hair growth in the last 5 weeks of taking it, actual hair growth all over tiny white hairs in all bald spots of my patches and crazy white hair growth all of what used to be my stubble on my chin and face, quite remarkable really!

The hair growth I could put down to possibly 3 things, 1. A steroid lotion prescribed by the doctor applies to patches on my head(but doesn't explain the growth on my face, 2. It could be spontaneous regrowth which is very possible or 3. it could be the Berberine. It seems odd that my regrowth coincides with taking Berberine but then again this is Alopecia so absolutely anything is possible!

What might be working for me may not work for others but I just wanted to let people know my experience. I know there are others that mentioned they are trying this supplement, so please share your experiences so we can see if it works for others too.

Thanks Taz

Views: 22980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Taz, 

I was thinking, You said you had the Berberine stored away for 6 weeks. During this time were you using the Steroid lotion or did you start using it with the Berberine? Also, Did Berberine seem to slow down hairloss any? Lastly, how is the growth now is their any improvement from your first post or is everything about the same or worst? 

Hi DJ88,

I wasn't using anything in that I started using Berberine around the same time as the steroid lotion which was about start of September, its possible that the combination of lotion and Berberine was at work but who knows, although the steroid lotion only lasted 2 weeks which finished about third week in September and I haven't been using it since, been trying to get a docs appointment for some more really but the waiting time is ridiculous 6 weeks and my doctors appointment is in 2 weeks time now, I am going to ask them to do tests blood pressure and things just to make sure i am ok. To be honest I doubt it's anything to do with the lotion, I reckon my new hair would have fallen out by now.

My white hairs are very soft and fluffy and they stand at about a cm long in some parts at the back of my head, there are some patches on the back of my head that are very slow in growing and is hardly any hair there at all its weird, same as my face some hairs some hairs are over a cm long and other parts are just really smooth no hair at all lol it's strange!

To answer your question about changes since my original post.... when was that just over a week a go, I'd say not much as happened maybe a tiny bit of length on the hairs but certainly nothing worse, i still loose lots of hairs washing hair in the bath, I can see loads of them in the water, and I can't seem to stop it :(

What Alopecia do you have how long have you had it and what are you using to treat it? Are you taking Berberine? any effect?

Thanks

Taz

Today I have AU. I had it for about 3 years. It started off as AA 5 years ago then progressed. I had some spontaneous regrowth about 2 years ago where I regrew all the hair on top, thick eyebrows,mustache and a 4 inch goatee. Which was pretty awesome. I was using Olux-E, Rogaine, and cortisone injections. I'm still using the same things but with Biotin 5000mcg (ordered yesterday)and a generic olux E. Not counting the biotin i bought yesterday, it's not nearly as effective as before, which Is why I think 2 years ago was spontaneous regrowth or it could have been the OLUX-E, it did singlehandedly bring back my eyebrows at the beginning of my AU so I dont know really. I want to take Berberine though but im a bit worried. I have been doing lots of research since I've seen this post. Im still wondering how close to Xenjalz it is. From what i read it seems promising. 

I don't think it's anything like Xeljans really, thats a very powerful drug and Berberine is merely a health supplement but now that the research has been done and it's been figured out that inhibiting certain T cells in the immune system is making hair grow back, and now there are other things being discovered that said to be able to do a similar thing, so now people like me and you and everybody else can test it to see if it works. 

I did lost of research as well, i even researched that Indian treatment called Ayurveda, I researched the actual topical treatments that they use, the funny thing is do you know one of the treatments used? topical Berberine,  I thought it sounded fascinating, if they have been using it for centuries there must be some truth behind it.

Did you have any positive results?

Taz, I noticed the same thing, a lot of hair fell out, but a ton of new hair came in right after so I came to the same conclusion that it expels the old hair to make room for new hair.

Hey Starshine, That's good to know at least we can sort of see the effects of what this supplement does, What kind of Alopecia do you have, what percentage of hair loss and how long have you had yours? just give a picture of who the supplement works on better, I would take a guess that it works quicker on AA sufferers that haven't had AA for a long period of time,  and may take longer for people with AU that have lost hair several years ago.

I have severe diffuse AA which started about two years ago. I just recrntly lost about 80 percent of my hair. I agree that this cannot compare to Xeljans, but it is a JAK3 inhibitor, so that is something. I think everyone should check with their doctors first before taking it though, especially if you have other medical issues.

TAZ, My new growth is also very soft and coming in in tufts. I am going to restart the Berberine which I just got from Amazon.

I thought of something. Is it possible to use Biotin 5000mcg with this? If this thing has caused new fluffy hairs (white and black) Maybe with biotin it'll strengthen and grow even fast/better? 

Hi Taz.  I was wondering if you have noticed any continued regrowth with the Berberine.  I have just started taking it again but of course, it is too early to tell anything. 

Hi There

Hard to tell really, My hair growth is the same as that of how it was 2 months ago, unfortunately however I am still suffering severe hairloss as my alopecia relentlessly progresses. I have lost half an eyebrow and got a few hairless patches on my legs, fearing the worst really, I was thinking of giving up but I won't! I am still convinced the Berverine is trying to help just don't think the dose is enough, I am going to increase the dose to 1000 mg pure berberine veggie capsules and test it on myself see what happens.... Not as optimistic as I was but still i'm still hopefull, half the cure for this condition is hopeful positivity.

Thanks

Taz

Hi Taz, I have been taking it again for almost a month now, but have not noticed any difference. I am sorry to hear it has not slowed down your hair loss. You don't think it could be making it worse do you? I am not so sure about it now either but will give it another month. I might try taking it three times a day instead of two. I am also using DCPC which is actually showing a lot of new growth. It does make it difficult to tell which one is actually working better though. I tend to think it is the DCPC since I had stopped Berberine for a while. Let us know how the higher dose works out.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service