Hi all.

I just wanted to let you know my experience taking Berberine which is a herbal supplement which people believe and reports shown that it may be a JAK inhibitor. I noticed people where buying it a few months ago but I haven't seen any posts about it yet. I bought the supplement start of September I bought Glycox 500 with Berberine from Amazon, it seemed to be what others where buying, they are 500mg Berberine per capsule. I have moderate AA probably 25% hairloss and I was diagnosed with AA in May. With my first bottle of capsules I was taking two a day, Since taking the supplement I have seen some hair growth in the last 5 weeks of taking it, actual hair growth all over tiny white hairs in all bald spots of my patches and crazy white hair growth all of what used to be my stubble on my chin and face, quite remarkable really!

The hair growth I could put down to possibly 3 things, 1. A steroid lotion prescribed by the doctor applies to patches on my head(but doesn't explain the growth on my face, 2. It could be spontaneous regrowth which is very possible or 3. it could be the Berberine. It seems odd that my regrowth coincides with taking Berberine but then again this is Alopecia so absolutely anything is possible!

What might be working for me may not work for others but I just wanted to let people know my experience. I know there are others that mentioned they are trying this supplement, so please share your experiences so we can see if it works for others too.

Thanks Taz

Views: 22980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey guys, I wanted to give an update of my own after a month of taking Berberine 500 mg, and also applying Rogaine. I started seeing a bunch of vellus hair on my head about 2-3 weeks into taking Berberine. I have AU so basically I can't lose any more hair. I don't notice hair on other parts of my body but that's probably because I only apply Rogaine to my head and not anywhere else (might come eventually). The vellus hairs seem to have grown a little bit but not much, however they are all over the top of my head (can't really see the other parts of my head because it's hard to). My dosage is 2 capsules a day, may start increasing to 3. BTW for you guys Rogaine might start shedding your hair a lot if you try it, because that happened to me when I had AA.

Thanks dudeman, the more info we get with this, the better. Keep updating.

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since any updates, so I was wondering if anyone has noticed any new changes? I myself still have the vellus hair all over my head from before, but it's only been about 2 and 1/2 months so still gonna keep on the regimen and hope I start seeing terminal hair soon (have started getting some on my eyebrows though). I am still not deterred because before Berberine I didn't even have vellus hair and so I think giving it more time will surely help.

That is great news. I had to stop again as I am also taking Methotrexate and the Berberine caused the blood work to be abnormal. I definitely think it was doing something though so I may stop the Methotrexate and continue with the Berberine. Please keep updating.

Hey dudeman,

I also have AU. I was wondering, have you noticed any hair loss at all since you started taking Berberine? Also, is it the only thing your using or are you using minoxidil too?

Hey,

I actually had barely any hair left anywhere on my body but the ones that I did have were not affected from Berberine. And I am also applying minoxidil twice a day, as well as taking 3 Berberine capsules throughout the day.

Taz or anyone else still taking Berberine, have you had any more regrowth?  I am stopping Methotrexate and going to begin taking it again I think. 

Hi Starshine,

I stopped taking Berberine a while ago , just to see if the hair that was growing stopped or fell out, but even since stopping taking it, the white hairs I have continue to grow, all the patches I had in my first bought of AA have now completely grown back with thin white hair, I have had 2 new bald patches appear in the last few months that are about about 2 inches in diameter that don't seem to be getting any bigger and partial loss of the left eyebrow and some patches of hair loss on my legs as of a few months ago. The good thing is my AA when at it's worst stage was at about 30% hairloss but now i'd say it's probably not even 10% but with lots of white patches of hair on my head. I can't really say it was Berberine or not I am not really treating it right now apart from Steroid solution  I apply a few time a week given by the doctor (really doubt steroid is doing anything).

Berberine inconclusive....

Thanks Taz. Congrats on your regrowth. I am going to start taking Berberine again as I do think it helps. I wish we had more conclusive evidence though.

it's not a steroid...it's an alkaloid...I've been on it for three months and am experiencing hair growth...it's too bad there isn't a berberine ointment or lotion you can apply topically...it would work better

Hi Mike, I'm glad that it's been working for you like I believe it did for me and I hope it's continued to grow in the last few months since your post :)

Has it sides effects?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service