Hi, my name is Sonia and Iv just been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. Back in July I found a small round patch in the back of my head. Went to my doc and he said its from stress. But in a matter of a month the patch grew much bigger and my hair is now so fine. I went to a dermatologist and he said its gonna get worse. So he gave me Regaine 5% to apply twice a day. I did that but it did not help and the patch got bigger and bigger. I know lost about 40% of my hair. So I went back to derm and he gave me a steroid pill called Solupred which I have to take once a day for a month and then I go see him again.
Im depressed, dont know if Im gonna go bald or if my hair will grow back. I cry every single day, sometimes even most of the day. Im beginning to think about quitting my job, which is in the fitness industry.
Please can anybody help me cos I cant accept this and dont know how to cope. I just want my hir back

Views: 162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi Sonia, i am new here and we have so much in common.....i am 57 and found a 50p size patch on my birthday (oct 13th 2010, would rather have had a new leather coat :) )
the patch at the back is now the size of my hand and a few smaller one's are joining the party :(

i have every feeling the same as you, one minute upbeat (till i wash my hair, comb or even brush it...)
then the tears start falling again..then i get angry at the people who caused this (mine is stress realated to changes in job and bullying by new manager) have been on the sick for a few weeks as i can't face going out unless i have to, so work is a no no especially as i work as a support worker for mental health, at the moment they are better than me (ironic)

......next time you look in the mirror think of me lol (we can compare notes, have to laugh or i will cry.......... AGAIN)

have been put on the urgent list for the derm so should be seen in 2 months instead of 9, till i get the appointment have to just plod on and hope............

everyone here has been through this thing and the help and support is amazing... (hey girl we will get through this)

i hope it all works out for you, take care susz x
Sonia - I can't tell you how many times I have heard these very same, very painful words! I had been having very excessive hair loss, and in August, found two bald spots on the top of my head. I thought that I had done something to cause them. My first dermatologist apointment was cancelled, then after the hair did not return, but the spots grew larger, I made another apointment. My regular dermatologist retired early summer, and I certainly did NOT want to see this new doctor, but went anyways. On October 4, 2010 I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. I began researching, digging, finding any and all help I could find. I can honestly tell you that the support, the genuine love, and concern here has been amazing!! This is like my daily therapy!! On Saturday, I attended a local meeting, and there, again, immediate, genuine acceptance and it is amazing! I am not sure how I will deal with this, as my hair is beginning to fall out again, but I can honestly tell you this...you are NOT ALONE...and here...in OUR WORLD...ALOPECIA WORLD..the blessings are immeasurable!! God bless you hon, and know that even in this...you will find blessings; great and numerous blessings! I wouldn't trade it for the world! HUGS!!!!
Oh Diana, thank you so very much for being so nice. It hurts to see other people hurt just like me. Wish I could make this all go away but I cant. You guys are lucky, at least u have an association and can have meetings where u can meet people like you and make friends and talk and let it all out. I have looked online to see if there is anything here in my country, but found nothing. So Im happy at least I have this coz like u said, this is therapy. the only thing is that when I read other people's stories I get more emotional and cry even while Im reading and there is a comment to me from Domineque saying that the steroids might be making me emotional and I think Dominque is right. I dont now if I should stop the treatment. I mean I only just started them on Saturday, so so far I only took 3 in all coz I only have to take one a day. What do u think? Do u think I should stop?
Do you think the steroids may be making you even more emotional? I think I heard it has that side effect, but I could be wrong. Definitely don't quit your job. What's worse than being bald? Being bald with no job and no money!
Hey Dominque, I think u r right. I went online to check about the side effects of these steroids and it did mention that u can become very emotional and that they can even cause depression. OMG thats the last thing i need. But on the other hand the dermatologist said to take them for a month and he will see me again after a month and then we decide what to do according the results (if any). Do u think I should stop them now? I mean what is your situation? Wht did u do about it??
Sonia, we can't tell you what to do regarding the meds as one can get desperate and try anything. Most the time it doesn't work and when you stop using it, any growth usually falls out again. The doctors DON'T know. They shy away from telling you the side effects and really doesn't know how to tell you to deal with it emotionally. They want you coming back, that's how they make their living. No matter what you do or don't do, your body will do what it wants. I'm in my early 60s, never, ever had anything but a beautiful thick head of hair. I could do anything with it, nothing affected it. Now I feel I have to hide under a wig or hat to face the world. I feel young and am very active. I live in the mountains and hike and kayak, etc. That doesn't change.

What helped me accept this disease was a few months ago, I found a lump at the base of my skull behind my left ear, where the lymph nodes are. The doctor sent me for an ultrasound. It could be lymphoma (cancer). I was a wreck before I found out the results, thinking it could be cancer and here I was making such a big fuss about losing my hair. I'll lose my hair any day rather than the other. Well, the results were negative, it was just fatty tissue, no cancer. Boy, did that change my attitude. I said to myself, what's wrong with me? It's only cosmetic and I can cover it up. I'm healthy right now, get over it. I realized the important things in life and I appreciate every day now and thank God for another day. I don't have to like this AA, but it's not going to stop my life, it's too precious. Hang in there, soon you will see what I mean. I'll never take any meds for this, extra stress I don't need and extra damage to my body. Then I'll really have something to worry about. I hope you will rethink taking those meds. God Bless.
It may feel like Hell having patches in your hair and being diagnosed with Alopecia. Then you see they get bigger and bigger and you cannot do anything; even if you go to Doctor/Dermatologist.
You are not the first and you will not be the last!

Often when above happens, we decide that it's due to our 'life situation'. We do like to fit the affliction to our 'life situation'. Funny thing is that if you change your 'life situation' or make moves (good ones hopefully). The Alopecia is still there and probably worse. Alopecia happens because it happens and it's always been that way.

Thats the first step to HEAVEN. It's not your fault or anything to do with your 'life situation'. Most people who have it for a while will tell you that.

2nd step to Heaven- it's not your regrowing hair that you should be interested in. Hard i know to grasp but true! It's what you will do to cover it or not cover it. Shaving or wigs or makeup is the second step to Heaven

3rd step- if your mind is frayed and broken and tears still keep flowing. Seek medical help or counselling. Crutches are not supports for the weak but rest and recooperation.

4th step- look back through these posts and see how many still post. A lot will sound like you. Look back a year or two. 99% have long gone. Why? because they have realised how they can support themselves. Most will have regrown their hair and the minority will be either in wig or have a shaved head.

They have found the steps to Heaven. Not all of the steps but they are making progress from Hell.

Its what steps you take that make the difference. Regrowing hair is not within yours or the medical fields power. Our steps to Heaven involve wigs, makeup, shaving and talking and living.
Well said, Dom. You summed it up eloquently. See you in heaven. (-:
Im so happy for you that your results turned out to be negative. Yes I said that to myself yesterday that things could be much worse. After all I am still healthy and nothing should really change...... but then bad moments come in and I start freaking out again. I am taking it step by step now. Whats disappointing here is that some poeple tell u that the doctors dont care and that they give u medication that does not work....... that crap. thats really bad....... I mean usually u go to a doctor to get better and most of the time it works..... so with alopecia u go to the dermatologist and u get medication and your telling me it wont work///////// wow thats so disappointing
I totally agree with what you've said...I even chuckled..."What's worse than being bald? Being bald with no job and no money!" So true!
Hi sonia

You sound terribly overwhelmed and that's really hard.

The worst thing to understand about hairloss (alopecia areata) is that the hairloss or growth is really out of your hands. That's a bitter pill to swallow but it is the truth and sometimes it helps to know you can't control this condition. You have done nothing to make it happen to you and therefore there is nothing you are able to do to stop it. (I don't feel stress is the cause of this condition - it is an auto immune condition that tends to do its own thing).

Sonia, I can imagine you to be a wonderulf young woman with a lot to look forward to and live at the moment. Please don't give up your job. Just stop and think for a moment about how you want to handle your hairloss. There are options on presenting yourself and that can be empowering to work through. Whether it be without hair, with partial hair, with a scarf, with a hat, with a hairpiece, whatever - it's good to start thinking proactively.

Hang in there Sonia this will get better. Talk to some of the lovely people here and I'm sure you will find your way.

Rosy
I replied to this type of post about five years ago in another forum. If you give up your job.
1- you have more time to think about hairloss
2- you have less money
3- you then have to worry about having less money

It's nice having Alopecia

On the steps to HEAVEN, you have to be warned about the 'backward steps'

Giving up job or going out less just mean more 'think time'. Far better to hold your position and see how things pan out at work and when you go out. There is no manual for facing people when you have Alopecia patches and you think everyone is looking at you. Yet all of us have faced it eventually. Luckily there are methods and ways to cover Alopecia and confidence can develop in to more daring.

In my photo i was sitting on a lovely sunny beach ( thats true) with a sunburned head and chatting to my niece.
I had been crying ( this is the made up bit) and saying to myself:
"Im a bald , ugly duckling"

A little girl ( my niece) came over and said; " But Dom your a swan"

"Im a swan, am i ? Im a swan"

The little girl said; "what are you going to do about it Dom?"

"Im going to swim to Heaven little girl" so i put my swimming goggles on my sunburned head and here i am.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service