I've been experimenting with my human hair lace wig and different conditioners. I've been reading a lot about coconut oil and how it is one of the only oils that can penetrate the hair shaft to repair the hair. I decided to give it a shot because I have a 16 inch long wig and end up using a half bottle of conditioner every time I wash my wig. I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up coconut oil (it's in the spice section). I got the generic 365 brand which ran about $6.99. Coconut oil is solid at room temp so I had to simmer a pot of water. Put the coconut oil in the warm (not boiling hot) water until it liquefies. I started at the end of my wig and poured some oil directly onto the end to completely saturate the tips. Then I worked my way up the wig apply less as I got directly to the top. I applied an excess to the underside of my piece directly under the nape. I find that this section of my hair dries out quicker than the rest likely as the result of the friction from my clothes. Comb the oil through the hair but be advised that the oil will solidify shortly after you put it on the wig making it look and feel like wax. If this happens and you need to comb through it, simply warm the hair with a dryer set on medium heat. Once fully applied, allow the hair to sit for 30 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. Again, you have to use warm water to liquefy the oil. You can then follow with a light shampoo to remove the surface oil or use conditioner. Apparently there is something in conditioner that binds to the oil molecules and rinses clean. Both methods seem to work fine.

The results are AMAZING!

Views: 13608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've tried this. After the coconut oil treatment i only used a conditioner. I let my hair air dry but my hair felt very greasy. I think it's better to use shampoo instead of only conditioner.

I didn't wash my hair directly. I let the oil soak for about 16 hours. I than washed my hair with shampoo (Dr. organic Moroccan Oil) and conditioner and my hair felt very silky and smooth.

Thanks for this! It turned out great after the first time! The first time I ever washed my piece it looked as if I had it for years. It looked dry and unmanageable. It was frizzy and puffy looking.

If only I had found this months earlier!

This is what i recommend for anyone who is looking for a deep conditioner Silicon Mix Hair Treatment it is a great detangler and hair treatment, for hair hydration use this Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask by Arvazallia it will make your wig more manageable and well moisturize...also you can find all these items and amazon. good luck

I tried coconut oil before and had to heavily wash it to get all the greasiness out :( Maybe I just did it wrong. I have found Bambu Silicon Mix works super well though on dry, frizzy HH wigs and is inexpensive. I get it off Amazon and get 2 bottles for something like $12.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service