It's my understanding that there's no "cure" for alopecia, but I'm still interested in learning about the varying degrees of success alopecians have had with the various treatments that are offered. Therefore, if you have alopecia and have had any luck whatsoever with a treatment, please share your story here. Be sure to say whether your regrowth was temporary, permanent, partial, or full, and whether you experienced any pain or other negative side effects as result of the treatment.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm only interested in hearing from people who have actually struggled with alopecia and NOT the companies, organizations, and individuals offering treatments and cures.

Views: 11774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im in the US. I went out with friends to a trendy restaurant, got home and at 3am got so sick I thought I was going to die. I was sick for a week, I'm surprised I wasn't hospitalized. After that I was sick all the time, flu, respiratory infections, you name it. And ~4-5 months after the food poisoning I found my first spot and lost all my hair within 7-8 months...telogen effluvium we thought. But it hasn't come back!

I am intrigued!!! How did they connect food poisoning to AU? I developed alopecia which turned into AU over the last two years. I have had similar experiences as you describe...

A GI doctor connected it because I don't have alopecia in my family and I lost it in my late 30s. I now have the IBS because of the salmonella poisoning. It started off at AA then turned into AU. Since I was so sick and then had all these illnesses (and I got vaccinated too, swine flu) I and the docs came to this conclusion. Im a critical care nurse so I went nuts on the research and trying to find a connection. Now you will see research that connects alopecia to gut issues. My digestive system hasn't been the same since. I wish I could pinpoint what sensitivity I have and just stop those foods all together. What happened in your case?

Wow!! Funny, I am a social worker with Peadiatric Diabetes....I did a ton of research but did not connect the two. I haven't seen a gastro doc but I probably should. I am now 51...no alopecia in my family..I had several episodes with Norwalk type viruses....6 months late I started losing my hair....6 months after that 3 bouts of violent food poisoning which I figured out was a sensitivity to Quinoa....the third time was the charm. As of last november I have no hair on my body. It was a bad winter catching every virus around. I have seen 2 different Rhumatologists looking at Lupus...I am clear....I do have to say that my gut has never been the same.

I'm not surprised. I wish there was a forum for people with similar experiences. I hope more research is done in the future. In the meantime, I'll stick with my grain free paleo and we'll see what happens.

Hi Michelle/RayG, I would highly recommend that you both look into a dietary supplement called, Anatabloc, from Star Scientific. Apparently, it's very effective for IBS and other auto-immune disorders, including Alopecia. It's worked wonders for my daughter (see separate post from me on this same thread for more details). I'm not a shill for the company. I'm a father of a 13-year old daughter with AA since she was 4 and I'm just trying to help others. Do your own research and let me know if you'd like to learn more. Sincerely, Mark.

From the abstracts I have read onion juice helps only AA. It took only two applications to stop my hair loss, other people have noticed changes after a couple of weeks.

Same with me for a long time. Dont know if the sun worked directly on my hair or more on my immunesystem. But it used to work when I had areata. Yet now I am universalis since five years and whenever I go into the sun, I rather protect my sensitive skin from it. Only one or two hairs from time to time.

when i get patches on my moustache, i run ginger on it after roughing the skin up a little with a blunt knife..it used to work within a few weeks...now I am 47 and its slow and am not sure it works....same treatment at the back of the head has not been effective but its also more difficult to do and i have never been diligent about it. best.

Tim...how do you think your divorce helped? are you mush happier now? has it sorted negativities in your life?...I know that I get worse AA a couple of months after deep anxiety/depression/stress...

Went A T at age 49. Took Cyclosporine. My hair grew back but is now white. I am now 57 years old

Are there any side effects. Do you have scarred alopecia

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service