Hi everyone. I have androgenic alopecia,and I've been losing my hair since I was 14. I'm 41 now. Up until now I've been able to cover my bald spots with toppik, but I'm going to need a wig in the not too distant future. So far I've tried a few custom wigs from rpgshow,and they were pretty obvious to anyone that saw me that I was wearing a wig. I went into a local bar wearing one, and quite a few people couldn't stop staring at me. Some people I knew looked very uncomfortable and wouldn't make eye contact with me. I'd chosen something similar to my own hair, it just didn't look believable I guess. It was a human hair, (Indian remy) full lace black wig. Anyway here's my question. I see quite a few people on here saying that most people have no idea you're wearing a wig. Are there any tips or tricks that make them look so real? Where do you get them? Do different hair colors make a difference? I do know it helps to have highlights and keep a light density. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do cut my own hair now, but that's only because the idea of going into a salon and letting people see how I look without all the toppik makes me really uncomfortable. :) I might feel comfortable cutting my own wig or hairpiece after watching some YouTube videos, but as of now, no. It's alot more hair than what I'm used to dealing with. Lol

Brian are you a stylist? Were you or are you a Barber? It seems you have a natural knack for cutting and styling your wigs- certainly to your advantage--saves you the headache of finding a stylist that you like and it saves you money. Have you thought about making a 'tutorial' video on how to cut a wig for men? You can upload it to YouTube and then share the link here.

Think about that Brian. I'm sure other's will benefit.

Peace.

StarShemya

I am not a stylist.  Actually, I am an academic writer.  I have thought about doing some videos to help people, both men and women, realize that you can purchase relatively inexpensive wigs and still make them look natural.  I think this would be particularly helpful for men who want what might be considered a "traditional" haircut, but who either can't afford Hair Club or Hair Direct, or want something less expensive and slightly easier.  

Hi Brian. Yes, I want to encourage you to do just that. There's definitely a need. I think you will be well received. ☺

Hi there,

I told my coworkers the day before I was going to wear my wig.  I was too nervous of people thinking it was a wig and not being sure and getting strange looks.  This was also the first month of a new job for me, which was hard too.  The ones I told were incredibly supportive. It helped me face the world with a little support diving in.  They all said they were excited to see me and encourage me to wear it right away (I had planned to wait until the weekend because I was too nervous).  I ended up wearing it the very next day. The ones I didn't tell (and I know no one else told them), would compliment my hair as I got to know them a little better.  I then would tell them it was a wig.  I don't know why but I almost feel better people knowing if they ask.  When I would tell them it was a wig, most people are genuinely shocked.  To me it looks fake some times and other times it's ok.  I still feel like I get "bad hair days" with wigs, which is a little annoying because they are always supposed to look nice.  Any way...sorry for complaining...

I've watch a lot of videos on youtube to see how wigs are put on.  A coworker of mine disclosed to me that she was a breast cancer survivor and lost her hair at one point.  She had to wear wigs too.  She said that she would always try to put a little piece up from the sides or something and that would help it look real and help with the shape.  I've tried that and it helps a lot.  Before that, I felt like helmet head.  I still feel like I am looking for the perfect wig.  Right now I am only wearing synthetic.  I plan to take the plunge in real human hair, but I want to make sure I know enough to spend a lot of money on one.  I was given a couple sites to check out.  And some of the real hair wigs are inexpensive on those sites.  I don't know about the quality, but I think for $150, I will bite the bullet just to see.  

I have so far kept close to my same hair color and length.  I am trying a little lighter and shorter wig soon.  I was told by someone that the shorter wigs can look more natural too.  I will let you know ;)  

Best of luck!

I did the same thing, and told everyone close to me I would be wearing wigs soon before shaving my head.

It completely took away any fear of people being shocked with the change. And it frees me up to wear all sorts of styles, or even go bald. Depending on who I'm around anyway.

@ shoff39 Do most people know you wear a wig? I hope they do, I don't want to be in fear of being "found out" But I still get that creepy-crawly feeling when someone stands too close in back of me in line.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service