European virgin wigs professionally washed and styled! Is it necessary?

I was hoping that some of you who are more experienced with European virgin hair wigs can provided some feedback. I recently purchased 2 of these type of wigs for my 12 year-old daughter who had alopecia areata but is almost gone totalis. The salon where I purchased them strongly recommended I bring them in 1x per month for a professional wash and style. They told me that this would increase the longevity of the wig by about a year. I was fully intending on doing the washing and styling myself as the additional $45.00 per month for each wig not to mention the 45 mini ute drive to the salon every month is overwhelming. Finances are tight and I have 3 other kids to take care of. I am feeling very overwhelmed. Can anyone confirm whether they think professional styling is necessary? I want the wigs to last and look good for my daughter as I just spent a total of $5000.00 on them. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments on the best way to wash and style them on my own. I would be interested in knowing what products people recommend too.

Views: 928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sue,
Thanks for your help. I was just on cooper wigs website looking at the different cap options. With the thin skin perimeter and the silk top how does this style of wig stay on the head? It doesn't say there are Velcro closures or anything. Also, when you look at the colour chart the pictures make it hard to see the actual colours. My daughter has blonde hair kind of like a 24B/27C (Jon Renau colours). Should I just get something in the blonde tone and then take it to a salon to try and match the correct colour?

Hi

from my colour ring you would probably need colour 18 with colour 24 highlights but if you tell them what you are looking for and send them a picture or link they will give you the closest match using their own colours.

Thin skin doesn't need glue because its a very soft transparrent PU material that quickly forms vacuum bond with the skin.

Sue

Hi sue
I ordered from cooper wigs on seeing your posts i live in ireland!!
It is european hair blonde .. They are fantastic to deal with excellent customer service and it came exactly as ordered ( still have to try to get colour right ! )
I have it now 6 weeks take great care when washing air drying etc
And conditioning but its very dry and would really need money wise to get at least another 6 weeks out of it !!!
Any tips on how to deal with the dryness .. How often do you wash yours ?? Karla x

Good grief! You don't have to take a $1500 course on how to wash and style a European hair wig!  My wig person, Brenda Kay, told me how to do it and I put all the steps and details in my book, "If Your Hair Falls Out, Keep Dancing!" You can find it on Amazon.com.

There are many Videos on youtube about correct wig washing. If your wig is a hand tied cap and not made with wefts of hair that are sewn together, it is Most important to block the head on first. You can buy a rubber mannequin head on Amazon for under $20. Wash the wig on the head, pinning it with straight pins (Not those larger T pins as they can make holes) on the sides and nape. This well also help hair from coming out of the cap if it is washed directly on the head. If you hair is tied to cap in wefts, (It is less fragile) and  you can wash hair in basin but be extra careful not to let hair tangle so blocking on head is always best.

This gal does a series of wash videos.  http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/wigs/wig-washing-part-two-cari...   You certainly can do it yourself as I do, but for special occasions I have a salon do my hair.

Wow! Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to help me out. I am so glad I came across alopecia world. I just order a rubber mannequin head as well as the It's a 10 shampoo, conditioner and mask.
I also watched the video on washing wigs which was very helpful....thank goodness for the internet :)

You're so welcome. I love inverting the washed & wet wig and hanging her upside down between 2 heads (Or you can use a hanger) to dry naturally. You get a very natural lift off the scalp.  Keep us posted & Good Luck!

For some reason I never got to see the video where she dries it upside down. She talked about doing it but I guess that is in a different episode which I couldn't find. Do you have the link? I am curious how this is done.

For some reason I cant paste link here  but that gal runs The women's hair loss project. There are 3 videos- so if you Goggle "The Womens Hair Loss Project Wig washing" you will see all 4   .You can also sign up for her blog.   Maybe it's on this one- Part 4  http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/wigs/wig-washing-part-four-f...

Basically it's turn your wet wig inside out and hanging and pinning each ear tab to a mannequin head. (It can be a canvas or styro head or rubber) She also has a Video on properly blocking a wig at Follea where her wigs are from. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfUrS4Ebcg    ; It's here!!!!!!

Just one thing to bear in mind is that the Follea wig is only a lace front with a silk top. The rest of the wig is wefted (machine stitched in rows). This may have a difference on how you treat the wig after washing/ I certainly wouldn't recommend combing a wet hand tied lace wig as much as she does, the risk of shedding would be far too high. You also don't have to seal the knots on wefts (because there aren't any) which makes the wig more robust but the lines of wefts can sometimes be seen eg. on a very windy day

Hi 

From my point of view if your hair is 100% virgin human hair and you have paid extreme amounts of money for it...I find it sad and a little frustrating for you that you have to do all of the pfaffing around required with wefted and handtied pieces.  

With my daughters wig...she washes it in the shower using normal shampoo and conditioner... and the results are as they should be.  There is no tangling or dulling of the hair because it is 100% unprocessed human hair.  Freedom Wigs...suit their name.

This is a picture of my daughter in her Freedom Wig ... this wig is over a year old and just gets washed with normal shampoo and conditioner...no need for any extra equipment...never any inversion of hair or undoing of knots...

Rosy

I entirely agree Rosie. It would be nice to treat my wig exactly like I used to treat my own hair.The hair I specify is european humanhair  (probably from the east of eastern europe)  that comes as natural (very dark brown) or in a range of colours from their ring ( I assume dyed to order so no longer virgin as stated).It's by far the most expensive hair that the company sell and is certainly a lot finer that indian hair and doesnt develop the deep body wave that indian hair seems to develop when it gets wet. I am a realist though and I realise that the quality of the hair, although good, will not be of the standard that your companies wigs provide and I dont have the same expectation for its usefull life. It is after all a fraction of the price.

However washing a wig on a wig head doesn't take me more than about 10 mins (unless I deep condition ). I then simply leave the the wig in the head to drip dry. I have never hung a wig upside down and have had no trouble getting sufficient volume from simply combing the hair once dry. A spritz of sealant on the inside of the cap each time really isnt a problem either.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service