Hi all, so glad to have found this forum. :)

This is my first post, so I want to give a little background info on myself. My name is Laura, I'm 23 years old and have been dealing with supposed androgenetic alopecia since I was 11 years old (when I hit puberty). My hair has continued to thin since then and for the past 4-5 months I've been wearing a wig. Buying a wig was a really, REALLY difficult decision for me. I was practically bald when I bought my wig - it had gotten to the point where the only way to conceal my scalp was with nearly half a bottle of Toppik. When I put my hair in a pony tail was/is probably half the size of my pinky finger. It was extremely embarrassing, but I found the concept of suddenly wearing a wig to be just as embarrassing.

I cried multiple times during wig consultations before I finally stopping moping around and bought my first. It's a nice Estetica human hair wig, but I've been having some major issues... most likely because I'm still sort of in denial and know nothing about wigs. I hate the fact that everyone I know clearly is aware that I wear a wig. I really want a new wig but am worried about the sudden change in wigs... I really don't want a single person to comment on it. 

I am in a relationship and he was with me when I was practically bald, and he's with me now that I wear a wig. It makes me uncomfortable that he never comments on it so I don't really feel comfortable taking it off in front of him... not sure why. I'm still so new to this whole wig thing. I just wish I knew ONE other person that wore a wig...

ANYWAYS, I bought my wig at an awful, overpriced wig shop. The lady put 3 clips in, clipped them in to my nearly nonexistent hair, and sent me on my way. If I place my hand on my scalp it slips every which way. My hair seems too thin for the clips to really grab it. This is okay if I'm not moving... but seriously... I'm constantly worried about it falling off. That would be an absolute nightmare for me. I also hate the thought of never swimming again. I can't wear my hair up at the gym because when I put it up, it pulls and makes the wig slip back off my scalp. It's MISERABLE. Oh, and lets not even talk about how it holds up in the bedroom...  

I just want to be normal. I just want to go to an amusement park and not worry about my wig flying off. I want to go swimming without looking bald or covered in some sort of hair net. I want to go to the gym and be able to put my hair up. I feel like I'm CONSTANTLY readjusting/pulling up my wig. 

Can anyone offer me some advice on helping my wig stay put? I don't use wig caps because when I've used them in the past, they slip off just as easily if not moreso than just a wig. If my wig would stay put, I feel like my confidence would skyrocket.

Thanks so much for reading!! :)

Views: 22059

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Iam not too self conscious at the stables where I ride- I know everyone, and will yank my wig off in the aisle way and throw on my ball cap or helmet. I wear ready- made synthetic wigs and really can't afford those fancy $1000+ wigs. Too rich for my blood...
There are a few different ways of adhering the piece to your head. You can use clips, double sided tape, and glue (which I personally stay away from but many people use). Clips would be my first recommendation but you have to be careful when choosing which type of clip and which size to use. Wigs can be highly customizable and should be for the most natural affect.
Compassionatecreationswigdesign.com

Hello Laura

I've been away of late and haven't been involved with this thread, but after reading your post I felt I may be able to help a little. I have a daughter who is 23 years old and has hairloss, not the same as your condition but with the same challenges. 

Wig wearing is quite the commitment for anybody with a hairloss condition.  What I have noticed over the years is it is not the only answer to moving forward with your hairloss.  It is a choice by which you can often present yourself to the world feeling confident with your look.  (As the ladies here who choose to wear no hair will attest it is not the only choice, that can be empowering).  Wig wearing does not and will not take away the reality of your hairloss and even though that is difficult it can be managed.  I think it may be helpful if you talk to your partner, parents, and friends about what this is actually meaning to you. How you feel about wearing a wig and having hairloss.  I believe they will take your lead and support you if you show them what you need for support.  Sometimes people just don't know unless you tell them.  This will require some soul searching from you as well.  I understand that you just want to have your hair back and for life to be 'normal' but in reality that may take a little work to achieve. 

My daughter has worn a wig since she was 12 years old and it has been a wonderful piece of equipment to help her manage her hairloss.  She wears a Freedom Vacuum Wig.  I'll attach a photo so you can see her in one of her wigs.  These wigs are secure without glues, clips or tapes.  The hair used in them is 100% unprocessed virgin human hair.  They are fully customised for each individuals needs (fitting, hair colour, curl preference etc.) For my daughter they have been an extremely good choice for her.  

I hope this helps and good luck with everything.

Rosy

If you like your wig and your only problem is it not feeling secure I recommend the WiGrip by Milano. There's a video on YouTube demonstrating it but basically it's a headband, it is very comfortable. You place the wig on top of headband and it grips the wig. It's pretty awesome. I was so sad when I received my first wig. It was beautiful hair but I couldn't get it to stay because of the fact that my hair is too thin for the clips. I tried tape but that's expensive, and sleeping with a wig is not comfy. Then I found the WiGrip and that worked and it's not as expensive ($20 + shipping) they stretch out and the grip wears off after a while, but I am still grateful for the woman who put up the video on YouTube. I also use the baby size bobby pins to pin the wig to the headband, at the temples and nape area. Works well, I doubt for swimming but working out and high winds. If it's windy or at an amusement park then I put on a beanie :)
I just went from my normal "hair" to gorgeous dream hair. There's always going to be some people who will have a comment but if u are confident about your wig you take away any meaning to what they have to say. If it's people I knew already and they comment on my hair and I feel comfortable I say "thanks, it's a wig actually" if it's ppl I never have felt comfortable with I just say "thank you" and move on. If they don't compliment me or say anything about my hair neither do I.
Wigs and hair pieces are so common now that celebrities are openly talking about wearing them or switching up their hair for every photoshoot. YouTube/Instagram makeup artists wear them without no real reason other than vanity. Xoxo sorry for the long comment.
I used to spend over $1200 per unit on medical prosthesis wigs for AA and cancer patients. I found these wigs were nice but never really looked authentic. A few years ago I switched to full lace wigs. I love them. I attach it using glue and tape and as I am very active I wash and reapply it weekly. I find my lace wigs are more affordable, look very realistic and offer me security in knowing it won't fall off. Plus I can style it however I please with no limitations. Not sure if this helped but hoped to provide some options.

I can totally relate with you about just wanting your wig to stay in place. I also wear a wig and was constantly adjusting it or pulling it front because I felt it was slipping down. I eventually found out that there is something called a wig grip which is a band that is worn around ones head and you put your wig on top of that. The fabric has a great grip and keeps the wig in place. It's also really comfortable I hope it works for you too!! 

I feel that you do not like that. People are not all perfect. You may worry for no hair, but how do you know someone like you would not worry about it! While your hair but you do not have a wig to cover the defect can ah! Or maybe not compensate for other deficiencies it! You should be a good place to think. If you think you you will seem less ponytail hair you can try to buy a wig here: http://www.eozy.com/wig/2 this is directly tied ponytail above ponytail when I sometimes also this tie. This wig is not apparent, as long as you choose the color on it.

In fact, you do not use for this rather sad. Although a lot of my hair, but I still like to wear a wig. Because I feel that some very beautiful wig. Since you say your hair ponytail when only a little that why you do not choose to buy the kind of ponytail wig too! I think the wig at all I do not see that often will buy a wig to wear. EOZY.COM my wig was bought in the store. You can also go and see. You do not look like they have.

I totally know how you feel. I am actually in the same situation as your right now. I have decided that I am just going to shave of all of my hair, and replace it with a wig. This way I will be able to rock a long healthy looking wig, instead of being left with my patchy thin hair. Good luck to you! just remember YOUR BEAUTIFUL DONT LISTEN TO WHAT ANY PEOPLE SAY!!

Fall wigs are something that might help put you at ease.  If you are not familiar with these, they are a head band attached to a wig.  

I have used them for years.  I try to keep cream or even just water on my head to make it stick without slipping.    

The only thing with this though is that I'm lucky I know how to alter them.  After I buy them I take off the head band and sew on one that feels more comfortable on my own skin.   These people who make them do not seem to know that the thick material they use can be hot and sometimes itches.   

You also have the option to use those head scarves they sell in wig shops.    They don't usually slip.  

I've been fortunate that these do fall in a category of "the right clothes," for me.    I have tried to cut back on wearing head scarves because I got irritated with people asking me questions about why I wear them.    Other than this, you can wear them for hours and forget you have them on.

Hi Laura!
ive been wearing some sort of hair since I was 21, now my daughter also wears it (she's 19 now) since she was 16. This is especially sucky to deal with especially at a young age. Never easy-not at any age.....but when you're young....ugh.

I think there could be a few good tips to help you.
-be sure your wig is good quality and light weight. The weight really helps with being able to secure it comfortably.
-your clips could very well be way too big. This is a common problem. Big clips on a little hair just doesn't work. They're uncomfortable AND don't offer security. Smaller clips (they actually come very small) can be a game changer.
-your clips could also be too few. The right size and having enough might be a perfect combo.

You can direct message me if you want. Anytime!
Hi Laura,
My teenage daughter has androgenticalopecia also, and that is why I joined. To find reassurance, I have watched manyour young women talk about their hair loss and do wonderful wig reviews. My favorites: kellie, who has a YouTube channel and blog called outofthinhair, and Abby Andrew, a young college girl who does good reviews. Hope this helps.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service