My 7 year old son began to lose his right eyelashes several months ago. We thought he was pulling them out until the whole upper lash was gone and no re growth. Took him to our pcp. The day before we noticed a quarter size bald spot on his head. My father has AU when he was 30. Pcp did no testing, just referred me to an immunologist for allergies. A long wait to finally get near the appt, they called to tell me they only do allergy testing and he should seea derm. Or rhumitolost. Since waiting for the initial appt more hair has come out and also his left brow. I have been on the phone non stop and no one sees the urgency of this. Finally got a referral to a great derm center. I begged and pleaded the situation and that the hairlossis rapid. No apps til August. As of this morning he has a weird rash. Red spots on forehead, neck, back or ear and on his hand. Just red marks. Took him to er this morning. They diagnosed alopecia and are making personal call to dip shit pcp asking her to personally call the derm center to get him in sooner. We don't even know if it is alopecia yet. I need to know now! No one cares. We haven't discussed this yet with my son. He can't see the bald spots on his head. I don't know what to tell him. He will be devestastated. I am so afraid of bullies. My son is so sweet and comes home upset if the kids don't want to play with him.i know it's up to me to be positive for him. I'm just so broken. He thinks his grandpa looks funny with no hair, which is not condoned but he is still 7. How will he take this. I am against all of the drug treatments that are out there due to the side effects. Are my feelings selfish? I am so afraid for him.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mama sounds like you have a handle on it now.  I too wore a ball cap and still do most of time. That shades my head so the sun doesn't really bother me in that aspect.  I talked to the teachers too so they let me wear a hat.  It was only one time, when a supply teacher showed up, that she gave me a hassle.  I stood my ground and simply told her that her job was to teach and not to worry about my hat or appearance and if she still didn't like it then I would march down to the office and talk to the principle myself.  To be blunt she shut her mouth, allowed me to stay in class, and just taught the lesson.  The spots are not more sensitive then any other part of the body.  in some ways I think they are tougher - remember I used to get injections right into my scalp with really no problems with too much pain; so I wouldn't worry about it.

I know this might sound strange but I'm proud of you! From your initial message to now it sounds like you have relaxed a little and come to terms with it much more than you were in the beginning.....Amazing, keep it up!!

Just so you know where I'm coming from I also have children. I have 2 wonderful and beautiful boys aged 10 and 7. I don't worry about it but I can tell you that I hope like hell that I didn't pass the gene to them.  Also I have been on this forum for many years. I have another profile but I moved and changed my email address and now can't remember old password or email address. Nevertheless if you do a search on "James" you'll find maybe 11 pages.  scroll through them and you'll find a selfie of me(years ago before the word "selfie" was invented)...LOL - I think I'm wearing a hat and sun glasses and in the background are some small mountains...Taken in Greece from a building plot I have there.  see if you can find it.  Somehow I have to get the administrators to transfer all that stuff to here or unblock it so I can get in it.

God Bless,

James X. 

I've taken joy in our correspondance. Do you have a FB page? Pm if you do...I solely rely on FB for conversation to the world..no worries though if you are private, I understand. I have to admit, the Cabernet has been flowing more than ever this week but having confirmation to AA and his blood tests are perfect I feel a bit more content and moving forward with a better set of eyes. I mentioned my father...he has severe bipolar as I do as his father and everyone on his side does. He disappeared around the time of his alopecia started about when I was 6. He is so bad off he has chosen to be a homeless man under the bridge, literally, for so many years. My husband found him 3 years ago. He is ok now in his own place but very hermit like on his own choice. We are more like distant friends since over several years ago I found that mental illness is not by choice. It just differs on on person to person. I did tell him about my son but he didn't have much to say. I honestly didn't want to tell him since he is fragile and I didn't want to throw him off the edge since he harbors guilt over him being the way he is toward me and our absence in life. He knows I understand the way things happened but from experience I know he can't help the way he feels. I personally feel some guilt in passing this on. I try not to make this about me though so I put it off. I still can't help but think if it wasn't for me...if it wasn't for my father ...if it wasn't for.....this would not have happened to my son. It's not in my control though but it's still there

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service