How many times have you had alopecia throughout your life?

I am curious to see how many time you have all suffered alopecia and when it first started for you. Just interested in the different experience everyone has. I would love to hear your stories!

My story: I am currently 19 and have gone through two bouts of alopecia, one when I was 18 (and it fully grew back) and one at the moment.

Views: 4193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, one specific psychotropic drug (Topomax) was responsible, or least partially responsible, for my own hairloss. I'm surprised that a antidepressant would actually stimulate hair growth.

Andrea de Oliveira Passos. I would also like to know what anti depressant you are taking to control your AA.

Interesting question, Laura. I'd have to say that the number of times I've had alopecia is not the same as the number of times I've suffered alopecia, and I'm not entirely sure of either number. My first bout was when I was 19--partial loss for a few months then full regrowth for a year or two. After that, I've mostly had alopecia totalis-universalis interrupted 3 or 4 times by full regrowth (once for 6 years). The regrowth has most often started when I'm very stressed. The last regrowth was only partial, so I felt the need to shave frequently to keep it tidy looking. I was relieved when my scalp was bare again.

I am 30 years old and have had Alopecia since I was around 11/12 years of age. It started off just in the back. After a unknowledgable doctor advice I had more hair fall out. The doctor's recommendations were to wash my hair every day. This did not really help because I am African American and my hair texture does not allow this. Well I went to another Dr. and it grew back within a few months. Afterwards I had one or two spots in high school and college. Maybe a spot here and there as an adult but Nothing Serious.

Until Last year I was 80% bald. Many things I think was a factor for that much to come out however it took awhile but after 5 months a treatment it started growing back. It's been a year since I started treatment and about 7 months since I stopped having to get injections. My hair came back thick and healthy however I’m starting to have hair loss. I'm going back to the Dermatologist now to stop the alopecia before it gets carried away. My prayer is that eventually my hair will stop falling out and it it will be long and thick once again.

I lost all my hair in June 2011 when I was 51. I wrote the attached to let family and friends know what happened. It was easier than trying to explain that I was not undergoing chemotherapy!

Attachments:

Hi Laura
This is my first time with Alopecia, it started with a bald spot size of 50p at the back and in the next 6 months all i had left was a piece that size at the front, lost all body hair, eyelashes, eyebrows too I am 52 years old, though my mum lost hers at 9 years old, then my little sister at 17 years old
I am having PUVA and hair is growing back wild lol, hope I keep it as my little sister re lost hers 27 years later

What is PUVA?

Puva is psoralen tablet and UVA light treatment where you have like a subbed but not it makes your skin sensitive to light and is supposed to stimulate the hair.

I lost a patch of hair in 2002 after a rough break up. It grew back shortly after. It wasn't until 2011 after suffering 3 miscarriages that I lost every ounce of hair on my body. Till this day it's a struggle. I feel like I lost my identity. With the help of family and friends I was able to find new ways of putting myself back together again. I got tattooed eyebrows and eyeliner. I also got myself a prosthetic wig. So I'm learning there is a life after developing AU. I will not let loosing my hair bring me down. I deserve better than that and so does every bald woman out there! Bald Chicks Rock!

I so understand your feeling. It wasn't till I was forced to wear wigs that it really hit me my self esteem and emotions. I tried listening to the song "I am not my hair". But I always end up sad. I use to think how can my hair grow back if I'm stressing about my hair growing back. LOL However, stay prayerful and positive! BCR!

I first had AA at age 17, then a small patch would fall out every couple years and grow back quickly. At age 30, it started falling out in May and by July 1st it was all gone. That had never happened. Now at age 31 almost 32, I have just a little "normal" growth on the top of my head but not anywhere else. I am still hopeful it will grow back again, even if that means losing it again. Best of luck.

I'm 25 now i first started losing my hair when i was 24...and recently it all grew back, my fiance and i separated.....so then it decides to fall out again.....when it was growing in good i was avoid stressful situations, and i began taking vitamins...a few days ago i noticed 3 large knots on the back of my neck below my occipital bone....after going to the doctors she told me my occipital lymph nodes are swelling as a result of my alopecia.....so now me and my wig are about to be best friends....again....i try to stay optimistic about it..

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service