How many times have you had alopecia throughout your life?

I am curious to see how many time you have all suffered alopecia and when it first started for you. Just interested in the different experience everyone has. I would love to hear your stories!

My story: I am currently 19 and have gone through two bouts of alopecia, one when I was 18 (and it fully grew back) and one at the moment.

Views: 4193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

iv had it once be4 when i was about 13 with 1 bald patch. it grew back and now im 24 and it has all gone.

Mine started at 17 and then comes back then falls out on a 2 year cycle its weird. It seem as many cases or different

Hi

I'm now 56 and lost my head hair first in my mid-30s. It has never grown back even minimally. However, 8 years ago I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes, and they have grown back mostly, though my eyebrows continue to go through thinning periods, and are not close to what they used to be, nor are my eyelashes. My wife also has alopecia universalis (we met because of our shared condition), and she has gone through multiple periods of partial hair regrowth on a specific area (top, back) of her head. She too lost her eyebrows and eyelashes, initially, but both have returned - much sparser, like my own - and have remained. Others I have known with alopecia areata through a group in our area have mostly experienced the same thing. But all who have had partial regrowth at some point in time have had a recurrance of their hair loss that ultimately ended up being permanent.
Personally, I love it now and feel that it is one of the best things to have happened to me. My wife feels the same way. Tough on younger persons, though, but definitely a good way to humble one's ego!

Wade

Hi there! I have been so busy lately I haven't checked my emails. Here is the update. First, I got my first bald spots ever in June 2011. The spot grew until back of head down to neck was completely bald. That started growing back in Feb 2012. I then started experiencing more loss at the top of my head. Until it was to the point where I only wear a hat in public, and I bought a "top piece" wig that clips in and covers almost perfectly, just have to make sure it falls evenly.
I was hesitant to take the prednisone after hearing stories of unbearable side effects. After discussing with my primary physician, I decided to go ahead and try it. I started with 40mg for 7 days, then 30mg for 7, 20mg for 7, and 10mg for 7 days. I felt it a little the first week and a half, but really didn't notice too many side effects. My back broke out in acne which hasn't happened since high school. Didn't notice weight gain. Slept fine. Anyway it has been 1-2 weeks since I've been off and I have a lot of regrowth! I know it might not last, so I am prepared for it to fall out again. But it is nice to look in the mirror and not see bald spots. It is super short right now in places, and kinda funny looking with my long hair in back from first regrowth and existing hair that hasn't fallen out. I sorta have a zombie mullet, but I am not stressing on it. It is what it is as they say. Thanks for listening!

It's all about inflammation in the body. That's why the steroid works temporarily. Stressful events, certain foods, allergies and environmental factors all increase inflammation in the body. If you can get the inflammation lowered to minimal I'm convinced the body will heal and respond positively. My family has all had different autoimmune issues and I've seen them improve and heal when the listed were controlled. Depending on what the issue is it takes time-2-3 years following an anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle consistently.

i really appreciate this interchange on people's experiences with bouts of alopecia in all its forms. thank you, laura!!!! it seems like stress (no matter What the "Experts" say, is a major factor. i would like to hear more specifics about inflammation factors; i had been thinking that the alopecia was causing the inflammation - not the other way around. what are you/other folks taking to lower the inflammation? what is an anti-inflammatory diet? i've, for years, kept a diet full of fruits and vegetables, ate primarily poultry and seafood and virtually no red meat..since february, dealing with high cholesterol, i've eaten no meat (but some seafood). i no longer engage in trying to find treatments and have basically accepted that i have no hair anywhere (which i lost over a two day period.) thank you all for opening up with your stories and lessons.

I lose mine every year in October. its really weird. we went to a bunch of doctors trying to figure it out. But we've got nothing -_- I think it might be the stress of school. because last year was the one year I was fed up with everything school, so i switched to online schooling and I didnt lose my hair....i told you its weird....0_0

I have had Alopecia Areata sense 10-12 years old. At which point it was diagnosed from a biopsy. For me it started as a nickle sized spot on top of my head. It progressed slowly to a 2.5-3 inch clear spot that is kind of spotty around the edge. I also have smooth spots on both arms on my tricepts as well as only about 15% hair on my lower legs mostly concentrated down the top shin with random patches around the rest. It has been consistent and if it has changed at all it was too minut to notice.

My Alopecia started when I was 27 with spots on both sides of my scalp. Got a full head of hair back in about a year. I ended having surgery a couple of years later and lost all my hair, eyelashes and eyebrows. I am now 45yrs old I have some eyelashes and I have eyebrows. The majority of my hair is still gone on my head and may not come back. But I keep hoping.

One day we will find a cure for this disorder and I hope its before I leave this earth...

I was diagnosed with alopecia aerta when I was 4 and Hair fell out. I have had patches of hair loss. Then at 12 it got bad and had to wear a wig for a year. Then it grew in stayed for like 4 1/2 years then now I'm wearing a wig cuz its bad again. But its slowly growing back.

For me, I made pelades girls, then in 2010, in the 1 week, I lost everything, everywhere, today, I have small regrowths which do not stay. Here in France, we have no treatment(processing), we have to wait and since I have in the other autoimmune diseases!

Mine first started at age 13, I lost the hair around my hairline, that never grew back. It didn't start up again until after I began to have childern, but it always grew back. Then it was on again and off again. But once I hit my 40s thats when the battle really began, I went to drs. took shots in my scalp that were painful, it would grow back for a while and then the process would start all over again., But now in my 60s except for about a handfull at the nape of the back of my head, all the rest is lost. I pray yours grows back and stays back!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service