I have seen so many posts that closely relate true acceptance of Alopecia with going bald in public. That seems biased and unfair. I wear wigs, and I love them. I have totally and completely accepted my Alopecia, and I am not waiting or working to become strong enough to liberate myself and go bald.

Views: 3417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a big pet peeve of mine...the idea that if you don't want to be bald in public, it means you don't truly accept yourself or your condition. It's no different than the people who say that if you wear make-up, you don't truly accept yourself the way you are. I am completely open and honest about my alopecia; I wear wigs and make-up because I like them and I like the way they look on me, not because I'm trying to hide who I am.

My personal opinion....I would never wish to be seen bald if I were bald. Hair is what makes a woman pretty. Some do not care about being pretty, or feeling feminine. That is their choice. I never go out of the house without makeup, lipstick, and a spray of perfume. I am and have always been a very feminine girlie girl. With thinning hair, it makes me look less feminine. For me it sucks. If I lost all my hair, I would surely wear a wig, comfortable or not. Women are not supposed to be bald, or so society tells us.

I would respectfully disagree that women without hair can not be pretty. Some are definitely stunning.

I have had alopecia universalis for almost 7 years. I had an awful ex who criticised the way my wig looked on me, so I never wore it again. Wigs aren't for everyone and those who do wear them, that's great!!! I have always worn hats and I want to go without as that's how I think I will truly accept my condition and feel comfortable in my own skin. That's me though and I met someone who inspired me to do so because I feel I am beautiful without hiding my alopecia. My current boyfriend is very supportive I go without my hat, which makes it so much easier for me.

I wear a wig but I also totally accept my condition and am grateful for this life challenge at times. It has deepened my personality and strengthed my character. I love to share my story. And honestly, my wig is often the tool that allows me talk to people about my hair- or lack of it! I get so many compliments on my wig and inquiries on where/who styles my hair (and let me tell you, a woman insearch of a good hair stylist can be sooo persistant!) that often it leads to a conversation about alopecia and what it is, and frequently this exchange has led to friendships. For me, I like to bring up my condition on my own terms, in my own way, and wearing a wig and blending in allows me that freedom. I am on your side. I too am not 'waiting or working to become strong enough to liberate myself and go bald'. We are strong right now!

I think you express what I'm feeling. (Incidentally, regarding unsolicited compliments, just yesterday a nice looking man came over to my table at my favorite coffee shop and said, "Whoever does your hair should be commended; your hair looks fantastic.". We then talked for over an hour - AFTER I told him it was a wig! Contrary to being afraid men won't feel comfortable with a woman who wears a wig, mine get me asked out on dates!)

Men have a different view point on wigs. Like just another prop to be used in their fantasy. They NEVER mind if you wear wigs.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I also like to decide when, where & with whom I share the intimate details of my health with rather than everyone knowing as soon as they see me. Sometimes I'm tired and don't feel like being the Alopecia spokesperson at that moment. However I never want other women to envy my hair which just so happens to be a wig since I spent many years in the beginning wishng I looked like other women or some celebrity who had beautiful hair (which isn't usually even real). I want women to accept themselves instead of comparing themselves.

Well said!

Hi Marie. This is my first post here. Maybe I have no business being here because I only have, so far, mild AGA,TE and post-menopausal hair loss. But if you look at the ads on this site, who is really "supporting" the existence of this website, appears to be mostly companies that sell alternative hair, "hair loss solutions" and head coverings. If it were all about going bald full time, why would those advertisers think it worth their money to be here? I love wigs too, and while I am coming to terms with the level of hair loss I have already, and usually go wigless on my days off, I don't know how well or how long it would take me to accept more hair loss without using supplemental hair. On the one hand, it will take more women going hairless to make it more acceptable, on the other hand, not everyone is cut out to be that much of a "pioneer"! I hope these responses are helping you to take heart!

Do what makes you feel good Marie. We all have to figure Alopecia out how it pertains to us individually. Being a guy, it's easier for me personally to just be bald, more so since I run so much. But if I were a woman, I may feel very different. Just be yourself and do what makes you happy. Accepting Alopecia is not so much about being able to say hey look at me, I am bald and proud. It's more about you waking up in the morning and not really thinking about it at all and being happy. Live your life and do your thing, whatever it may be. You have a huge family here to stand behind you.

I'm new here..i have had thinning and hairloss for six months now.im so depressed..i keep looking at hair closures to disguise what's happening...i take my child to school and don't want to be seen. I have see through scalp all over the top..and although the rest of my hair is long..it's got tracks developing showing yet more scalp!!! I've had a scalp biopsy..waiting results...take iron tablets once a day..and use viviscal tablets..im a wreck..i just want it all to stop..im 42..
I was dealing with what you are last year. Be brave, go to a reputable wig store, and buy one that looks as much like your hair as possible. That way, if it all does go, you can keep going with your life as you figure things out. God bless you....you will make it through this hard time!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service