Sometimes when Cheryl and I are out and about, I notice people staring at her and, every now and again, commenting to themselves or others. There have also been a few times when children or teenagers laughed at her while passing by us.

Cheryl says that she's used to such rude behavior and simply ignores it, if at all possible. But after dating her for over a year, I'm still not completely accustomed to such unwanted attention being directed her way. To be downright honest, in fact, sometimes it annoys me to no end and launches me into stare-down mode.

However, a visible reaction from me is the exception and not the rule. Most of the time, I make myself consciously oblivious to such ignorant behavior and simply maintain my usual protective awareness of our surroundings.

What about you? How do you deal with people staring at your alopecic partner? And, if you have alopecia, how would you prefer that your partner deal with such rude stares and whispers?

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

Katherine, thanks for sharing these very helpful insights. I always enjoy reading you. :-)
And thank you Mr J, its pleasure to write when i know somebody like you may read it.

Cheers

K.x
Wow, I finally get to share an experience with this one!

Friday night, Todd and I stopped at the gas station by our house to buy some Powerball tickets (that and I wanted a beer too.) There was this guy that was pumping his gas next to where we parked the car and he was just staring as open-mouthed as you please at us. I wondered about whether it was because we are an interracial couple (I'm Hispanic and he's black), or if it was because of my patchy regrowth that was so blatantly obvious to everyone. I guess I had an uncomfortable look on my face or something, because in the blink of an eye Todd was up in this guy's face wanting to know what he was staring at and if he had any questions he needed to get them in the air now. Now, in all our years together I have NEVER seen Todd just get fired up like that, but he was like a big mama bear protecting her cub! I asked him why he did it, because I was quite content to ignore him -- stares and whispers are nothing new to me -- and he said that I didn't deserve to be stared at like something was wrong with me. He also said if I hadn't stopped him he might have planted his fist in the guy's face.

Now while I wouldn't want my darling to get arrested for assault, I was quite touched that he would get in a guy's face because he didn't like how he was looking at me. So I guess I like the macho man who stands up for me!

God bless you and Thank-you for your input! I get whispers and remarks from people off and on too! I change my wigs often, but that's MY choice! I like to be different, and I'm not afraid to be ME! Have a blessed holiday season!PS- Put your hoops on and keep on stepping as one of my girlfriends would put it who wears wigs too!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service