I just looked through some online choices, but since I go to real shops to try on synthetic wigs, I'd like to know ahead of time if any of you have opinions about the coverage and tie-on quality of these wigs:

Noriko: Carrie
Gabor: Invitation
Dream USA: Crystal
Estetica: Michelle
Aspen: Malibu
LL Britany: Look of Love
Louis Ferre: Michelle
Henry Margu: Savannah, Danielle, or Glamour
Raquel Welch: Salsa, Tress

Also, do you know if any of these dulplicate the blond-with-brown-roots look I have been wearing in my shorter wig? Thanks.

Views: 1889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Ktownnana!
The wig I just ordered was from Paula Young...I'm getting Elle, which is long layers with curved under ends. I bought the carmelized brown color. I'm hoping I will love her!

What colors are your Jamie & sierra wigs? I'm definitely interested :)
Karen, I have the Jamie in the Spring Honey (which is one of my favorite colors and the color I have on in my picture--the wig in the picture is not Jamie). In the Sierra, I have Strawberry Swirl which is a really pretty color and also I have Sierra in the color Mochachino. I love both colors, but the wigs are just too long for me. I also have the Raquel Welch wig Voltage--not really sure what the color is--a reddish blonde. This is a shorter wig, but just not the right color for me. I wore it out of the wig salon and I think that is the only time I have ever worn it. I try different makeup and slip it on thinking that might help, but it just doesn't work for me. I am willing to sell these for $30 each if interested. If you are interested in the RW Voltage, I will do my best to try to find out the color. I'm not certain, but I think the tags are cut out of the RW Voltage because that is the first thing they do at this wig salon. I'm sorry I am so late replying; I am still learning how to use this website. I also have Megan in the Sunny Blonde color by Noriko. Never been worn--will sell for $30. It is a shorter style wig with no curl at all. Cute, but at my age just need a little curl.
Just looked at the cute J. Smiths...why are those styles and prices not in the top 40 list? I wonder if J. Smith scrimps on coverage (I MUST have good coverage for teaching!). I liked Kris, Donna, Emma Jane, Blake, Arden and Allie. Which do you think would look good in the Champagne?
Hi, TG!

You know, now that you mention it, I have read several reviews about the JSmith wigs having less hair than other wigs. I can see why some ladies would want extra coverage though! I'll definitely let you know about the density on the Elle wig when I receive her.

I like all of the styles you have listed above....not sure about the Champagne color? I can tell you that I've seen pics of Wildflower Honey on a "real" person and it was extremely natural!!

KC

P.S.
I really like the dark roots look in wigs! I think it looks natural and not trashy at all! I have several wigs that have the darker roots...raisin glaze-h (Claire & Reese), cognac (Ease & Midnight), auburn sugar-R (Reese). It really helps hide any visible permatease in my opinion, and makes the wig look more natural.
Which one is this picture?
Hi, TallGirl!

Well, I received my JS Elle wig two days ago. This is a wig that I paid $50 for, including delivery. I have to say, if I had paid more than that for it, I would have returned it immediately. As it is, I will be able to wear it, but only with a headband or scarf or some other type of accessory that covers the top of the wig.

The density is very low on this wig, and it is shedding hair like crazy since I gave it a bath last night. I don't expect that it will last long at all. The cap is wefted, even across the top, and it has very little permatease. The problem I see is that b/c the density is so low, you really can't hide the unnatural looking top of the wig. It looks reasonably fine from the front, but if someone is standing over you, or if you bend over, it's all permatease and wefts that they are going to see.

I have many other wigs with permatease, and they look very natural. Those wigs have enough silky fiber laying over top of the permatease, that unless someone is looking very closely, they aren't going to see it. The JS Elle is not like that. There doesn't seem to be enough fiber to lay over top of the permatease.

The cap is very comfortable, though, and the mono strip at the front hairline is very nice. If the wind blows the bangs back, the wig will still look reasonably natural at the hairline. The cut on the wig is very nice as well. The bangs are the correct length, and the long layers throughout the rest of the wig look great as well. The longest layers on this wig hit me just below my shoulders.

All in all, I would not purchase this particular wig again. I would, however, purchase another in the JS line as long as it was on sale and it had a mono top.

I've attached a few pics I took right out of the box, before I washed it.

Hope this review helps!

KC

P.S.
Forgot to add - the color I purchased is carmelized brown. Not the best choice for my skin tone, as I don't think the golden color is doing me any favors.
Attachments:
Karen, I thought the JS looked adorable on you. I'm sorry about the top--that's why I think a full monofilament is so much better. I was actually and (I'm not making this up) sitting at a table and a woman came over and looked at the top of my head. I know she was debating as to whether I had on a wig so she just had to get up and look for herself. She pretended to be in a conversation with me, but I noticed the whole time she was talking she was staring at the top of my head. Unfortunately, I didn't have on a monofilament so I know she left without a doubt in her mind that I was wearing a wig.
Rose, I agree. I think it just floored me so bad that I couldn't think of anything to say or do. I can't imagine where some people get their gall. If I see someone with a handicap, I certainly don't just stare at their handicap--it's the same difference in my opinion.
As to the lady who came up to you and stared at the top of your head to see if you were wearing a wig, I have a response action: Next time, stand up and look down her dress to see if her boobs are real!
Hi, Ktownnana!

Thanks so much for the compliments on the Elle! Like you, I am really leaning towards mono's these days. They just have a much more natural appearance on top. I will say, though, that I have had many compliments even on my non-mono's. A lot of people just can't tell or don't pay attention, but those of us who are "in-the-know" about supplemental hair & wigs, or know a lot about hair, are going to be able to spot it.

I like having a lot of variety with my wigs, so as long as it looks reasonably natural and looks good on me (color, style, etc.), then I am a happy girl!
I do wish the wig companies would listen to what we are saying when we say we need more full monofilaments out there. I saw a cute picture of a Gabor wig in a wig book yesterday and I think it was called Brisk. There again, it wasn't a monofilament. I'm sure most of us would agree we would pay extra to get a monofilament.
Hi, Rose!

Thanks for the compliment! The style really is perfect...it doesn't even need the bangs trimmed. If this were a mono, it would be so perfect all around!

I am definitely going to try one of the JS lace/mono wigs the next time they go on sale. The Elle is the only wig I have tried that I don't need to alter the cap to be smaller. I am curious how long the fiber stays tangle-free though. It does feel very fine, so not sure how well it will hold up as compared to my Noriko's that are still going strong after 5 months.

I haven't seen any of the reds in the JS line, but I read a few reviews that say they are lovely. I love reds, and am wishing I had tried the Auburn Sugar instead of the Carmelized Brown.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service