You've heard of the "Great American Smoke Out" - the day when everyone is encouraged to stop smoking for just one day?

What if, for ONE day, all the bald women in this country (or whatever country you live in) came out in public with nothing on their heads? Imagine the effect! People wouldn't be able to assume that every bald woman they see has cancer. Bald women would become non-remarkable very quickly, just as bald men have. Women like me and other members of AW, who already go out in public bald, would instantly stop feeling so alone.

I'm thinking of making a YouTube video and setting a date for sometime during the summer (when it's warm everywhere). If I picked a date - say a Saturday in July - and put up a YouTube video now urging all bald women to join in on a National Bald Out THAT day, would any of you who don't currently go out in public bald do it for that one day?

Maybe we could get a news service "flash" out there and get TV and print media to pick up on the story! Anyone know how to do that?

I don't know what category to put this in...it's about society, and acceptance, and news, and promoting awareness...so, I'll just put it in Bald is Beautiful, and hope you all see it.

Please share this with other friends on AW and respond - YES OR NO...would you join in?

April 29
HERE WE GO! I just put the video on YouTube. You can find it under the title "Announcing the National Bald Out!", or at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXxBKwi-1lw

I hope you all like it! Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions as to the content, and special thanks to the lovely ladies who allowed me to use their photos at the end of the video. I think that adds a lot.

On the Bald Girls Do Lunch site, www.baldgirlsdolunch.org, there are some absolutely amazing T-shirts, buttons, banners...and loads of other fun items with two different National Bald Out logo designs, as well as a great one that says "Bald? So What!" I LOVE IT! Thanks so much, Thea! To view the items, click on "Logo Products", then click on "Bald Out July 19". Remember - 100% of proceeds fund the BGDL nonprofit's national outreach to women with alopecia areata, so your purchase of a National Bald Out T-shirt (or other item) will directly benefit women with alopecia.

The next step is for everyone to join the newly-created Alopecia World group "National Bald Out". Until we get the Group up on the Home Page, you can go to this link to join:

www.alopeciaworld.net/group/nationalbaldout

A big Thank You to rj for all his help!

I'll be posting more soon on the National Bald Out group.

► Reply to This

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wonderfully said, Pam! Please post the same thing on the Sisterhood of Women Who Shaved...there are lots of women in that group who feel the same way!

Good idea about people, even if not comfortable bald, wearing a T-shirt on July 19th.

Mary
Dear Pam, Although I agree with most of what you say I find it hard to believe there are millions of us - where are they? I live each day to meet someone else in exeter, u.k. to walk past me 'bald' but no one does, and from what I can gather no one else seems to have an aquaintence in the same town as them either. However I expect there are many people with wigs on. I just wish they would go out bald and let's get this out in the open. It is so incredibly hard to take the first step because people you know, know you in your wig. Taking it off is just like stripping naked for the first time in front of friends. BUT once done people infact don't give a toss!AND if anything they admire you for your courage
Margaret
That's exactly what I meant, Margaret. There are millions of us, but most are using head coverings. Those of us who don't us them can join together to be the encouragement needed for those others.

Not every one will feel comfortable bald. Not every one will even want to try it. But so many don't know you and I are here living quite happily bald. You are right - most folks don't give a toss and it's been my experience too that others, both women and men, admire the courage and appreciate learning that not every bald woman is undergoing chemo. I'd be willing to bet there are other women with alopecia in your area.

I think a National (perhaps International???) Bald Out Day could be personally beneficial to you as well. Perhaps you could go to your local tv station and let them know about the event in the US, tell them your plight of knowing no one else who is boldly bald, and ask them to run a human interest story on you. It would be a great opportunity for you to support the event and to educate people in your area about alopecia. Perhaps you could set things in motion to get a local group going if that is something you are interested in.

Anybody out there have information on existing alopecia groups in the UK?
Hi Mary,
I'm in no matter what day it's on. I only wear a hat because of the weather!!! Count me in and let me know if you want some pics to add.
Love and Hugs,
Dotty
Thanks, Dotty! I love your tattoos! I would like to use the photo of yours entitled "Alopecia 18", with the mirror.

I'm going to work on the video this weekend. If anyone else wants me to include their photo, please respond.
Hi Mary, How do I give you a picture to use for the video?
Maureen
Hi, Maureen. If I add you as a Friend (or you add me), I can see your profile page and then I can save any photo there and use it. Or, I can give you my email address once we're Friends, and you can email a photo to me. I don't know what photos you have on your page, but what I'd like to use for the "slide show" at the end of my video are photos of women by themselves - or, maybe several women if they're all bald. Do you have a photo that's just of you?

Thanks!
Mary
Oh ok Mary I will add u as a friend and i will e mail u new photos i took cause the ones on my page have my son in them and i don't think he would want to be in the video. thanks Maureen
That's great! I just need one photo of you, so you can pick one (unless you want me to pick).

At this point, I have 14 women who have consented to the use of their photo. It will be a beautiful slide show.

Mary
Hi Mary,
You can use any pics of me that you would like. I can't wait to see the video. Thanx for being an ambassador for beautiful bald women.
Love and Hugs,
Dotty
T-shirt update:

We're delighted and excited to be sponsoring the t-shirts, giving them a strong yet feminine logo that salutes the day and every day.
Our design sends the message: this for for and about women; everyone can support the goal; this is not another cancer cause.

100% of the proceeds support our work for women...the only organization created specifically for women with alopecias - and working to continue our positively positive media impressions for and about women. We are picky about generating the best media for women and turn down as many interviews as we accept. Have you heard our ESPN radio interview? . If that doesn't load for you, click here. A one-hour public affairs show in Chicago ( Beyond Sports) talking about women and alopecia...and admittedly I knew the audience was largely men, so dropped in a few strategic comments in the third segment about the woman in your life or the women with alopecia you just might meet in your future.

More about T-shirts: Before I load the store with the new graphic and different formats, I'd love to know which apparel styles are the ones you want. (We need to tweak the format depending on the graphic location: front of shirt, back of shirt, shirt pocket, etc.)

View the styles at cafepress.com/bgdl. You won't see the July 19th shirts up just yet, but you can scroll through the most popular apparel styles and colors and voice your opinion on your favorites. Post here, email or use our new toll free line (800) 578.5332

Have fun,

Thea
BaldGirlsDoLunch.org
Thanks, Thea! I'm fond of T-shirts that are what I think is called "French" cut...meaning that they have a larger neck opening than the traditional T-shirt that fits up close to the neck. It looks like the Ringer Jr. is more this type. Are any of the others?

Mary

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service